Sponsored by:

Take the 4x4 out of the C2??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 01:02 AM
kopo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take the 4x4 out of the C2??

Sorry, I'm sure this has been touched 1,000,000,000 times before. Street car / occasional track. I did the search thing but didnt fine the most common way to go with keeping a nice street ride. Is this the way , Bilstein HD and H&R Sport springs???
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 AM
hamah
Pro

There are a lot of different approaches but the one you mention is certainly one of the most popular. I recently did a similar setup with the Bilstein HDs but I couldn't say if the H&R "greens" I used are Sports or not. I'm very happy with my setup. Slightly lower than US spec (possibly even slightly lower than RoW depending on a number of factors), firm but not too stiff, and handles fantastic at speed on aggressive turns. Interestingly my wife, who hates the suspension upgrades I've done in the past on other cars, hasn't even noticed I had the suspension done on my C2.

I should mention I don't do any track or autocross. A Cab is really not the right car for track but if this setup was on a coupe I think it would be perfect for "occasional track" with a definite emphasis on "street".

Oh, and if your going in to do struts, shocks, and springs make sure to do the front control arm bushings if they are cracked and dried out (and if they have never been replaced they will almost certainly need to be at this age). While Porsche only sells replacement control arms and not the original rubber bushings alone, aftermarket bushings are available in urethane (they won't ever dry or crack) that can be fitted to the original control arms.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by kopo
Sorry, I'm sure this has been touched 1,000,000,000 times before. Street car / occasional track. I did the search thing but didnt fine the most common way to go with keeping a nice street ride. Is this the way , Bilstein HD and H&R Sport springs???
That's what I did, and I am pleased with the results. Since you can't drive it, you can at least look at it. Definitely took care of the SUV look. Pretty close to the RS ride height.

Name:  DSCN2129 web.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  177.0 KB
Name:  DSCN2128 web.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  140.7 KB

Originally Posted by hamah
There are a lot of different approaches but the one you mention is certainly one of the most popular. I recently did a similar setup with the Bilstein HDs but I couldn't say if the H&R "greens" I used are Sports or not. I'm very happy with my setup. Slightly lower than US spec (possibly even slightly lower than RoW depending on a number of factors), firm but not too stiff, and handles fantastic at speed on aggressive turns.
As fas as I know, the H&R greens are the sports. I bought the "sports" and they are definitely green.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
kopo
Instructor

Steve, That really changes the attitude of the 964’s. Nice looking Targa and thx for the pic’s. Jason
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
Oh, and if your going in to do struts, shocks, and springs make sure to do the front control arm bushings if they are cracked and dried out (and if they have never been replaced they will almost certainly need to be at this age). While Porsche only sells replacement control arms and not the original rubber bushings alone, aftermarket bushings are available in urethane (they won't ever dry or crack) that can be fitted to the original control arms.
Approx. how many labor hours would a shop charge to replace the control arm bushings? 2 hrs? Would you expect a good quality shop to have the necessary equipment to do this, or is it rare that a shop would attempt to do the procedure (b/c it's a pain?)...as in, most shops would just say buy new control arms?
Old 06-27-2010, 04:35 PM
hamah
Pro

Here is a link to an article on how to replace the bushings. As you can see there are no special tools required and I'd guess 2 hours would be plenty of time seeing as they already have the front suspension disassembled anyway. It will be a LOT cheaper to replace the bushings than the control arms even when you factor in the labour with the added bonus that you'll likely never ever wear out polyurethane bushings.

I'd suggest that any shop that has done suspension upgrades on our cars will have replaced bushings but you should check. Your going to want a good shop anyway because once the suspension is updated a full alignment will also be required and the good shops don't just realign with the factory spec and will usually have their own setup that they believe gives a good balance between handling and tire wear. (the factory setup sacrifices a bit of handling for longer tire wear from what I've been led to believe).
Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has Bilstein HDs and Eibach springs. This combination was installed by the previous owner. If anything the springs are a bit on the soft side. If I were doing it myself I would use Bilstein HDs and H&R red springs. I had this comination, along with the 22 mm M030 front sway bar and it was incredible for aggressive street driving. BTW the H&R greens are the softer of the two, with reds being even firmer.

Quick Reply: Take the 4x4 out of the C2??