Friday festivities

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
It seems I will be using the Boxster over the weekend after all. In 4 days, the coolant level in the turbo has gone from max to almost min without the car even being used - even though I've yet to see a pool of water under it. But it means I don't trust it to get me to Newcastle and back without serious coolant loss.
That is really strange. Its been about 2 years since I changes my radiator cap and haven used a drop of water. Sure sounds like a small crack in the expansion tank or leaking water pump that has a slow drip.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:47 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimq
That is really strange. Its been about 2 years since I changes my radiator cap and haven used a drop of water. Sure sounds like a small crack in the expansion tank or leaking water pump that has a slow drip.
I was assuming a radiator was the most likely - although I wasn't sure that was possible if the tank had dropped when the car wasn't being used, since I assume the thermostat sits between the tank and the rads?

Car is being serviced in a couple of weeks so I may leave it to them to sort out. I'll have a look at the tank level later today since the car has been left since Friday evening with a full tank again - wonder what level it's at now!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's got to be there somewhere...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
... Sure sounds like a small crack in the expansion tank or leaking water pump that has a slow drip.
+1 Very common issue in the 996/996TT. I had a new one that I bought as spare just in case. Went with the car to the new owner.

Quick Reply: Friday festivities