How do i know??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
afast16v
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i know??

Hello everybody, i have a few questions:

1.-When did Porsche start using seals for the head/cylinders in the Carrera model, i am looking at a 91 Carrera C4.
2.-Is it much more maintenance and trouble having a Carrera 4 than its counterpart Carrera 2?
3.-I had a 94 Carrera 2 but i have never owned a C4, are there points i should look at before jumping into a C4?
4.-Are there many improvements from early 964's vs the late ones, if so what would they be and when were they introduced in the newer cars?
5.-How can i tell if those improvements have been done to this vehicle (VIN,production date, etc)
Its a 91 Carrera 4 5 speed the vehicle in question...

Thank you for your kind help and vast knoledge.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:33 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The answer to your question # 1 is "As of engine serial # 62M 06836 the head seals were in place"
I will leave the other questions for someone with C4 knowledge.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The C4 system is very reliable. Is it more maintenance? Perhaps a bit due to the extra parts but not noticeably. Is there anything to look for that is C4 specific? Not really. I would focus on how well the car has been maintained and a thorough PPI.

If you want specifics on what's changes between the beginning and the end of the 964 production, get a hold of Adrian's book.

Good luck with the search.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Wiser folks than I have suggested driving one of these earliest C4's before making your decision.
The driving response (I've heard) between C2 & C4 is different.
Why, some folks hereabouts have even boasted about driving different lines on the track in order to eek out their drivetrain's best.

(Of this last, I wouldn't know - I'm still of the slow, hey-wait-for-me crowd at track events. Most all of my track lines are... experimental.)
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM
afast16v
Advanced

Thank you all for the information provided, it will be helpful while searching for the right 964...
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to determine is by the engine serial number as crg53 mentions. An easier way to check is to look at the intake manifold. The gaskets were implemented at the same time the manifold was changed from aluminum to plastic, so if it has the black plastic intake it should have the gaskets. (source: Porsche 964 Ultimate Buyer's Guide by Peter Morgan).
Old 06-16-2010, 03:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by afast16v
Hello everybody, i have a few questions:
...When did Porsche start using seals for the head/cylinders in the Carrera model, i am looking at a 91 Carrera C4.
Keep in mind that it doesn't really matter...if it's leaking now, ok then it matters but really it's either been taken care of by this point or it's not suddenly going to leak after 20 years.

Regarding C4 maintainence, I've been on this forum (lurking, then posting) for years and have rarely heard much bad about the all wheel drive system. When I searched on this issue only a couple minor differences came up (the braking system is different, etc.) .

Actually I think it's quite amazing how robust the system is given its age.

Since I live in a sunny, dry climate it wasn't a focus for me, but I drove a couple C4s prior to purchasing my C2 and it was incredible how good the system really is. That system cost Porsche a lot of money to make and can take the 911 experience to another level in the right conditions.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:01 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One difference between the C2 & C4, is that the 1991 & 1992 narrow body C2's have 2 piston calipers, while the C4's have the 4 pots.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg964
The best way to determine is by the engine serial number as crg53 mentions. An easier way to check is to look at the intake manifold. The gaskets were implemented at the same time the manifold was changed from aluminum to plastic, so if it has the black plastic intake it should have the gaskets. (source: Porsche 964 Ultimate Buyer's Guide by Peter Morgan).
My '89 C4 has black plastic manifolds, if you're talking about the 4"+/- plastic tubes and flanges that connect the intake system to the heads. It has no head gaskets! If the records don't tell you, you never know whether a non-gasket car has been modified to add gaskets, even if you check the VIN.

Regarding C4 vs C2, I've said it here before, but here again for your benefit........

If you appreciate "sure-footedness", you would probably love the C4, especially if you're not going to race the car. I've owned three 2WD 911's (middle 70's era) and the increased confidence I have in the handling of the C4, especially in the twisty's and the wet, is incredible.

Performance spec differences are negligible. While some who have driven the C4 on the track complain about the oversteer, I've also read from others that you can "trick" that idiosyncrasy out by tapping the brakes upon entrance to curves.

My recommendation: Drive both, not just for a few miles but in varying conditions, before deciding.

Truth is, you can't go wrong, it's a 964! Good luck on your decision.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:12 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=afast16v;7642610]Hello everybody, i have a few questions:
2.-Is it much more maintenance and trouble having a Carrera 4 than its counterpart Carrera 2?
QUOTE]

The AWD system is the only thing I have not had trouble with in my "89.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by altarchsa
My '89 C4 has black plastic manifolds, if you're talking about the 4"+/- plastic tubes and flanges that connect the intake system to the heads. It has no head gaskets! If the records don't tell you, you never know whether a non-gasket car has been modified to add gaskets, even if you check the VIN.
The plastic manifold and gaskets were introduced during the 1991 model year, so if your 1989 C4 has the black plastic intake manifold it was added after it left the factory.

Here is a pic of the black plastic manifold (circled in yellow):
Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Greg964
The plastic manifold and gaskets were introduced during the 1991 model year, so if your 1989 C4 has the black plastic intake manifold it was added after it left the factory.

Here is a pic of the black plastic manifold (circled in yellow):
OK, OK, the "picture is worth a thousand words". I do not have a completely plastic manifold. It is cast aluminum down to within aboout 3" of the heads, where black plastic tubes are connected to the aluminum with rubber hoses and hose clamps top and bottom.

I think it would be quite unlikely that someone would replace the manifold with the later model system, so maybe the suggestion to check for a completely plastic manifold is a fairly reliable indication.

Quick Reply: How do i know??