Sponsored by:

Monday monotony

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday monotony

Well, maybe not monotonous, but my weekend was not terribly exciting. Saturday, I was supposed to go to the Supercars event, but my son wouldn't get up early enough to make our scheduled parking time, and a sitter for the whole day was too expensive so my wife was staying home with the kids. I could have driven down by myself, but I do like to share the experience with someone so I stayed home. Ended up doing not a lot of anything then, but gained a half a day back for just that- doing nothing. Saturday afternoon, we had a surprise 50th for a friend. We took the Porsche for the 40 mile each way drive out. Sunny on the way out, raining like cats & dogs on the way home. I took the b-day boy's son for a ride; he appreciates cars There was a little rain, so I wasn't close to WOT. At one point, we had a stop light and I was turning left. I was on it a bit into the turn, then shifted into second mid-turn.... mistake. We fish tailed a few times then continued on. I'm sure it was the mid-turn shift that got me.

Sunday. My daughter had a birthday party and we had some errands to run. Not much else... the Porsche is still dirty from the Saturday rain.

So.... what did you do this weekend?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I had a very productive day on Saturday. My buddy came over and we normally do various projects together (car or home). Saturday's list included priming and painting the bulkhead going into my basement, hanging a ceiling fan and installing a "bridge" to disable the airbag light in my 964. I had broken something in the steering column when we replaced the power steering rack. Since then I've had the airbag and seat belt lights on. I grew tired of the lights, so I bought the cup car bridge. Next winter, I plan on disassembling the steering column and fix it it properly. Over lunch, we were planning on going to go to a car show sponsored by our local town paper but when we arrived, there were banners up but no cars. We then noticed that there were green notices on some of the posters stating that the event was canceled. I'll be curious to read why it was canceled. Our guess was that they had due to the poor weather forecast.

Sunday was quiet. It felt good to be lazy, sleeping in, spending the morning working on the Sunday crossword and watching a few movies.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:34 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

My wife has been out of the country for the last couple of weeks due to a work project...so what's the best way to keep the kids entertained and burn up a lot of time on the weekend. Road trip!

Attended the Historic Racing Weekend at VIR. A couple friends showed up to drive up together...for a long time I couldn't see anything but 911 headlights in my mirrors! A wonderful sight.
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Always a good time. My daughter loves the Porsche, and I'm sure my youngest son will too when he can ride forward facing.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:32 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not much P-car activity this weekend... taking it BACK to the body shop for hopefully the final time. They set the rear window incorrectly (the seal doesn't seat right in the upper corner) and there are a few remaining paint issues they need to sort out.

I drove my son to the mall this weekend to return a pair of shoes (after 3 weeks they were falling apart.. poor qc.) and when I got back to the lot someone had keyed my Prius all down the passenger side. Broad daylight on a Sunday... Washington Square in Beaverton is becoming a cesspool. Even if it is a driving appliance, why would someone really care that much to key a Prius? Makes no sense to me.

What I came home with is that old codger feeling that its all going to hell. Clothes that teenagers buy are of such poor quality that they come apart in a few weeks. No one really cares as long as they get their parents' $. AND that there are turds out there that find it amusing to destroy other people's property.

Get off my Lawn!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Tom, at least it wasn't the Porsche, right? Sux just the same.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I didn't do much on Saturday, but went to a local classic car / bike show for a couple of hours on Sunday. I'm not really that interested in the real classic stuff, but I did really enjoy it - some of it was quite fascinating. The engines from almost-100 year old cars were pretty basic, but you can see some hints of what was to come. Water cooling - but with no water pump. Top speed of.... 45mph (down hill with a following wind) - but even then, the guy admitted that the car clearly isn't built for such insane speeds - it wanders all over the road and tries to shake itself to bits. 35-40mph is apparently a sensible max.

Some people's ideas of "classic" were slightly dubious - 2003 Aston Martins might be pretty, but they're not classics and there were a number of similarly new cars. There were a few that brought back memories too - Austin Princess anybody? (Most of the USA guys will have no idea what that is!).

Only one Porsche I'm sorry to say - a mid-80s 3.2. If I'd realised that cars less than 10 years old qualified as classic, I would have registered the 964!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I mowed a lot of grass on my tractor. The heat index was over 100 all weekend.
I spending this week trying to finish up some projects at my office so I dont leave my clients in a lurch since the commpany is shutting the office in a couple of weeks. The company really doesnt seem to give a crap as they havent even bothered to tell the big clients they are leaving the market.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Just needed to share

Old 06-09-2010, 11:01 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

that looks like your kids in the background while Daddy'd got a handfull of hootchie mama
Old 06-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
that looks like your kids in the background while Daddy'd got a handfull of hootchie mama
Could not resist

It was an event for the 6-8th grade honor students (Daniela is now in 6th grade and with all A's, proud daddy!!), and Megan Clementi (Miss Florida USA 2010) was the guest speaker. No way I was going to pass up taking a photo with her
Old 06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Heh.
Jaime, another of your photogenic brushes with fame? [lecherous devil]

"Honey?... Honey - you were talking in your sleep, again... something about " - take that sash upstairs!"

Now, turn over, and go back to sleep."

Name:  Jaime 1_.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  104.0 KB
Old 06-09-2010, 12:43 PM
hawk911
Race Car

hehe... such the photochop wizz Lonnie
Old 06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'