Sponsored by:

Meandering Monday- a day late

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Meandering Monday- a day late

Well, hope you had a great holiday. We had a bit of rain, but we still charred some brats and dogs on the grill yesterday. Saturday I signed contracts with my 4th wedding client of the year so I can pay down the camera purchase. also talked to the groom's mom about taking her youngest daughter's senior pictures. Had dinner with friends that night, and talked to them about their daughter's senior pics also. Hoping to get some referrals from both girls- told moms they get $20 off their total bill for each booked referral.

Friday afternoon all the way into Sunday was replacing the hubs on the Grand Prix. Should have been a 2hr job, right? WRONG The first hub took a while, as the bolts had 130K miles of rust and corrosion. I think I might have a bit of a hernia from trying to break the damn things loose. Finally got 'em, and installed the first hub. Went over to the other side, and got those bolts loose a bit faster (PB blaster while I did side 1 helped) and opened box #2--- wrong damn part! Off to the parts store again for the right one. Installed correct part- almost. forgot to plug in the ABS sensor. Did that, but during my test ride, the wires must have gotten pinched and it clipped the wires. The parts store was good enough to warranty the part even though it was my install error. It's sunday now, as Saturday was family stuff day. Got new part- plugged in ABS sensor- still getting ABS error code! WTF.... plugged old part back in with no ABS code. Back to parts store for 3rd replacement hub. Back home, plugged in new part and no code- FINALLY! Installed and wheels back on, careful not to leave wires pinched or bound anywhere. Finally- no codes, no extra bolts, nothing but goodness.

so- how did your weekend go?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Always remember to clean up the garage before starting a new project or you will be asking where the hell that bolt, that is on the corner of the lift, goes.. That way you don't second guess your work...
Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Anticipating delivery this week of bi-annual maintenance parts, I washed the red car, swept the garage yesterday.

Washed and polished the wife's car and side of the garage the previous afternoon. (No fool, I. Happy wife - happy life. )

Otherwise, keeled weeds, greased door hinges, packed family for a morning at the beach, accomplished needed banking changes...
(Presided over mucho other household tasks, both vile & otherwise, though my memory presently fails their recount.)

Ahh! McMaster Carr 'stover' m6 x 1 locknuts for needed valve cover reinstall: $9 for 100. (34 needed for replacement after valve adjustment.)
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Had a great road trip down to the beach with the kids in the 964. Super weather, and it was a blast watching them run around for hours. Needless to say they slept well every night!

I took the opportunity to meet a friend and do a loop on the local roads. I want to create a separate thread with some pictures and relay some of the (over-the-top) experiences from driving a 934 replica...Zork tube, solid motor mounts, fixed shell seats, etc...500 hp at the wheels. Long, long streams of flames coming out of the pipes at throttle liftoff! Unbelievable really. I drove the 934 for the whole 80 mile loops except for the end when my friend drove it the last couple of miles to his storage garage. When I got back in my car, I couldn't even tell if it was idling or not...I had to look at the tach!
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Lonnie... wife?? so GF is now wife! Congrats! did I miss that announcement somewhere?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Got my new stereo installed into the turbo. In some ways, it does far more than I expected - the bluetooth music streaming works very well indeed and I was surprised to find I could play / pause / skip tracks etc from the head unit directly. But it does have a few slightly odd features - the most annoying of which is that all the numbers in phonebook are entered as "+44...." - but when somebody calls me, the presented number will be 07..... so the stereo doesn't recognise it and can't tell me who's calling. Doh!

I'll try it for another week or two and if I like it, will get one fitted to the 964 too.

I also told the g/f yesterday that she needs to get used to the 964, because I intend to use it quite a bit over the summer, regardless of whether "it's old" or "smells funny"!

My bike was collected today, so I'm now a few £k richer - but only until I decide what to spend it on (which might be another bike, but probably not quite yet).
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I did Bilstein + HD, front rotors, and pads on my wife's 964. Seems like I spent the whole weekend under the car. Did not even try yo get the rear rotors on, as it took all the energy I had remaining to knock the F rotors off with a hammer.

I wanted to do SS brake lines, but the ones I bought were not going easily through the whole of the mount on the struts and with all the brake fluid leaking due to not having the appropriate stoppers, I decided to wait. It was quite a learning experience due to the lack of a proper vice to hold the struts while tightening the top nuts.

Next is taking the car to the shop to fine tune the ride height and alignment before her DE next weekend.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
Lonnie... wife?? so GF is now wife! Congrats! did I miss that announcement somewhere?
Life's better with her and her daughter in it. Wedding was 2/11/2010. We'd been seeing each other for a year.
Besides, she fits in the Recaros better than I do. I wedge in - she fits. She also was quite jazzed with VIR. (I've a feeling we'll have to share the car for DE's in the future...)

And my 5 yr. old daughter is quite involved w/ garage doings. (oil + filter changes on three different type vehicles... helped with a tire swap on the 911 last week. Spouts "go Faster!" through corners in the 911 from her back seat booster. ("sorry, baby - we can't without wearing helmets.")
My best hopes are to expose her to enough car & track stuff to make her a fast-talking mechanic's (or rice-popper boyfriend's) worst nightmare: the vehicularly-informed female.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:00 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to Bend to clean out my Dad's workshop. He's 84 and getting a little disorganized. Had to clean up mysterious bottles of fluids, piles of scrap lumber, and assorted junk from 8 years of not organizing after moving in. I filled an entire truck with junk. It was work convincing my dad he doesn't need the cardboard box from an inkjet printer that died 3 years ago... otherwise I was doing sprints to the dump truck while he was otherwise distracted... the hoarding instinct is kicking in... and I worry as he has ammo reloading work going on next to the machine shop and piles of scrap lumber lying around from some carpentry... all jumbled together. ack. I am a bit sore today after two days of that kind of hauling. Its better, but I still worry about him over there. I still need to go and clean out his materials heap. He has billets of brass, steel, aluminum, and piles and piles of random crap that "might be useful someday"... agh.

I drove the (gasp) Prius over the mountain to check it out. Only 44.9 MPG average, but I was driving it like the 964... hauling *** up the hills. It does pretty well, and despite seeing over 18 speed traps, it seems that the car is relatively invisible to local law enforcement. (knocks wood)

I drove the 964 to work today, just to make sure I could still start it. ;-)

I go to the PENSKE Race Prep center in NC tomorrow. I will try to take pix for y'all!
Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I had a great weekend. I took Friday off and spent Friday and Sat in the garage working on the 964 coupe. First installed a "new" used airbox. My airbox is warped. The new box is square but one of the tabs that the spring clip clips to broke when installing the cover. I decided to keep the new one installed since its better than my original. I hope the plastic pieces are not all going to break due to age. The rest of the time was spent repairing the headliner around the sunroof. It was starting to come unglued. So my friend and I spent time cleaning and regluing. The previous owner had unsuccessfully used duct tape to hold down the edge. I had damaged the headliner on the sunroof panel itself, when I first removed it. We spent several hours cleaning all of the old glue off. I need to expand my solvent collection. The best solvent we had was carb cleaner. It worked but took a lot of scrubbing. The new headliner is installed and curing on the bench. I plan on installing it next weekend.

Meanwhile, my gf and I went to a BBQ at a neighbors house Sat night. It was fantastic. Great food, weather and companionship.

Sunday, my gf and I went on a long drive to Vermont to visit where my parents grew up. She had never seen it. It was a wonderful drive. My check engine light came on on the way up but then later turned off. I need to hook up my scantool to pull the error codes. Meanwhile, I have a new task for the 964. It seems my odometer and trip meter have stopped working. Does anyone have the link to removing the gauges handy?

Monday was spent lugging dirt and plants around the house, as the gf planted them. The 964 also got a well needed bath. The brake dust was getting pretty thick on the wheels.

The 964 will be going to Watkins Glen for a PCA DE in a few weeks. I need to schedule its pre-track safety inspection.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:33 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a great long weekend in Virginia at my summer cottage. Everything has gone to crap after coming back to work today and to make matters worse the new owners of the company are going to be here today for a mandatory meeting at 2. All bets are on them coming to shut the office. We are down from 35 people to 4.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Had a good weekend teaching at a BMW School (despite the snow ) and I am now working on cleaning the car up as a friend at the local GMC dealership has a car show this weekend and wants to feature my car.

Marc
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Jim, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

+1 Jim - Hope the "news" they are announcing is good news for you and the team.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
1971 911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we went to the southern appalachians from philly. beautiful drive down 81-S, mountains. then yesterday i put on the new JBL 4x6 rear speakers. i've done maybe 2,500 miles now in the 5 months of owning the 964. the original blaupunkts were incredibly shredded and soundless. also, these modern coaxials are much larger woofer diameter than the old woofer/tweeter side-by-side arrangements. Would have had better audio if i had done that before the trip : )

+1 jim, all the best.

Quick Reply: Meandering Monday- a day late