Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWF, mounts, etc in the car! Couple of q

Old 05-30-2010, 04:17 AM
Amroth
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LWF, mounts, etc in the car! Couple of q

Hello people, after almost 2 months of not driving the C4 (torture) I am finally going to drive it out of the OPC this week hopefully. Very excited. Here are a few photos, sorry that they are crappy blackberry photos...

Engine out, pretty dirty so I spent a few hours cleaning the engine and transmission while the mechanic worked...

LWF looks great, especially compared to the rest of the dirty engine

Now I'm SURE I have a cat bypass after all I was thinking of cup pipe or G pipe but for a cab it is already loud enough, hmmmm.

Strut brace in! Also got a new front hood shock and engine lid shock so I don't have to support it with my head anymore. Also did the fuel filter and air filter since the latter was quite dirty.

Thank God those awful mounts are gone, I will throw them away and can't wait to drive the car with the WEVO blacks and see how it feels...

Now a question- for a while now I have heard a slight ticktickticktick while the engine is idling and never knew what it was. After researching it seems like that spells a needed valve adjustment. I'm so angry at myself because the damn engine was out and I could have had the job done then. Now it's all back and I'm thinking it would be too much money to ask them for a valve adjustment right now. Is it ok to leave it like that for another 3 months or so until I do the next service? Then I can order new valve covers and gaskets since the paint is peeling off the original ones...

I will record the engine idling asap so you guys can advise whether the valves are badly in need of adjustment or not...

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:35 AM
Amroth
Racer

Second question: My mounts look pretty worn on the trailing arms, where they connect to the body of the car. I'm guessing this hurts the ride quality?

Is it possible to replace just the part circled in red and then realign? That would be much easier than having to worry about complete new trailing arms...

Old 05-30-2010, 04:53 AM
Amroth
Racer

Oops, forgot to attach the photo...
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2010, 05:13 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

yes, the spring plate in the pic is a separate part and easy to replace. Buy the stock version, or a solid one without the rubber bushing from ERP. Cheaper and better.

Thomas
Old 05-30-2010, 05:25 AM
Amroth
Racer

Hey Thomas, would the solid ones from ERP be too harsh for a street car?

Your car looks great by the way!
Old 05-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Please don't put off a valve adjustment .
The sound you are hearing is two nice parts smacking each other .
If its the valve smacking the valve seat instead of being put down nicely on the seat by the cam ...

If you are having the trailing arm part replaced , they will have the car up in the air and that would be a good time to do the valves .
Old 05-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Amroth
Racer

How long should the valve adjustment take? Not more than 3 hours I hope? I am paying a great deal for all this labour but if it has to be done it has to be done. After this big overall job I can concentrate on the DIY projects and build up my confidence so that the next valve adjustment will be done by me...
Old 05-30-2010, 12:25 PM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I would put them on a street car, but that's me. There wouldn't be any harshness to talk about.

http://www.erpparts.com/porschesuspension.html#964

And thank's the for comment on car. Yes, it's a nice one :-)

Thomas
Old 05-31-2010, 01:00 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Thomas. ERP spring plates will not add harshness and are a nice upgrade.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Amroth
Racer

well then, I'll add the ERP spring plates to The List. Thanks for the recommendation guys

You know, sometimes I see some great looking cars on sale with lots of mods already done and think to myself, why not sell my car and get this car which is already done? But then I've already invested so much into this one (including engine rebuild only 15k km ago), and I know my car's demons. If I could go back in time to 2002 when my dad bought this car (it had sat useless for years) I would have told him to sell right away and get a 964 that was well driven and well taken care of. But now, its too late!

I'll head over to the OPC and ask the foreman about the ticking noise and confirm whether it is the valves for sure. Odds are they won't have the gaskets in stock and I'll have to order them from Pelican. It's a shame that there isn't a single Porsche garage here that "cares" so for many things I will have to get on the DIY wagon. Work is very slow at the office (startup company) so I brought along Adrian's 964 Companion for some light reading

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LWF, mounts, etc in the car! Couple of q