Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me out diagnosing a clutch/tranny issue.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me out diagnosing a clutch/tranny issue.

Hey 964 friends,

I recently picked up my 964 and I am trying to get a few bugs worked out. This one is to do with a problem I am having with shifting gears. My car currently has 123K miles.

The problem is that the transmission fights me a little bit between gear shifts almost as if I wasn't stepping on the clutch fully between shifts (which I am). The most noticeable problem is that sometimes when coming to a stop and I'm trying to shift to neutral the car doesn't want to let me! Blipping the throttle a hair gets me out of gear and into neutral fairly easy but I shouldn't have to do that.

On my BMW I only need about 50% clutch to be able to shift cleanly (not that this is good practice), shouldn't this be the case with my 964? As it is now if I don't use 100% clutch travel I probably can't get into gear while engine is running.

Some facts:
-When the engine is off it is very easy to shift through the gears.
-I just changed the clutch slave and line with a brand new FTE ones from Pelican.
-I bled system thoroughly with Motive power bleeder and Porsche Dot 4 fluid.
-I have records that show car received a new clutch master at 89K (but 10 years ago).
-I have records that show car received a clutch job at about 90K (also 10 years ago).

For the first few blocks of test driving after I replaced the slave last weekend I thought I had solved the problem. Soon after I realized problem still persisted.

Some causes of this problem?:
-Simply a worn clutch?
-I read that these cars tend to have a sticky clutch disc problem if clutch shafts aren't lubed?
-I ordered a new clutch master today and will install in the next few days just to rule out hydraulic problems.

I really would like to avoid dropping the engine/tranny at this point and enjoy the car for a while! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vespam5
I really would like to avoid dropping the engine/tranny at this point and enjoy the car for a while! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
When would be a good time ?
If the master cylinder does not do the trick ,
do you have any days free on your calender ?

I just redid the clutch on my vanagon , replaced the trans axle , the motor mounts , the front and rear main seals , the input shaft seal , the oil cooler seals .
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Check the condition of the engine mounts

Check linkage from shifter to transmission
Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 AM
Jimjacqmx5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue and put in some euro RS engine mounts from pelican parts and it is much better.
Also check it's got nice gear oil in it.
I have the Mobil Delvac.

Before dropping tranny and if you have changed mounts and it IS a gearbox issue, try some redline lightweight shockproof gearoil. It might save you a gearbox rebuild....
I know of guys who have had mjor shifting issues in various cars and this stuff has worked wonders.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the driven plate sticking on the shaft instead of sliding free. Just needed lubrication but of course needed the engine/gearbox out to do it.

Pete
Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM
vespam5
Instructor

Thanks fellas, Clutch master arrived today and I think I will put it in for peace of mind. I doubt it'll fix the issue. Engine mounts seem ok visually but maybe I don't know what to look for. Is changing them require dropping engine?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vespam5
Is changing them require dropping engine?
Nope , not a real engine drop .
You need to support the engine while you change them .
Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM
JDD
Instructor

How are you bleeding the clutch? You should use a pressure bleader...
Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JDD
How are you bleeding the clutch? You should use a pressure bleader...
He did:

-I bled system thoroughly with Motive power bleeder and Porsche Dot 4 fluid.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 PM
vespam5
Instructor

My instinct tells me the clutch disc is sticking or it is time for a new clutch (RS while I am there). Mainly because if it was a hydraulic issue pedal feel would probably be inconsistent and as it is now I can hold the clutch while the car is in gear and it won;t start to roll.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would you mind talking about if the problem is consistent regardless of which gear is being shifted. ?Sounds like 2nd to first or first to neutral are most difficult and requires a blip. Same going the other way? 3rd ,to 4th? Does it take a strong pull to shift? Finally, where is the clutch starting to bite? On the floor? Where I'm going is if it is a transmission issue.

While the drivers side tire is off, can you also check to make sure the bearing for the release fork is still in place? https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=18851

tom
Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I would start with a gear oil change. Also the guide tube can wear and cause a sticking clutch plate, and the 964s pivot fork bearing surfaces wear and can cause an incomplete disengaugement. I would check the invoices and see if either was inspected or changed when the clutch was done.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tgage
Where I'm going is if it is a transmission issue.
"...and I'm trying to shift to neutral the car doesn't want to let me! Blipping the throttle a hair gets me out of gear and into neutral fairly easy but I shouldn't have to do that. "

The engine is driving the gears into engagement .
Hard to get out of gear = bad or dragging clutch .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me out diagnosing a clutch/tranny issue.