Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   pipercross air filter (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/570092-pipercross-air-filter.html)

kdfwagen 05-24-2010 08:00 PM

pipercross air filter

I am thinking about buying a pipercross (or foam) panel filter for my 964. However, all the dealers for them seem to be in the UK. Does anybody know of a dealer in the U.S. that sells them for our cars?

or, if you know of another foam air filter company let me know please. ITG doesnt seem to make a panel filter for our cars.

Dave White 05-24-2010 08:02 PM

K&N makes a foam filter, got one.

kdfwagen 05-24-2010 08:04 PM

where did you buy it? I can only find the gauze ones by K&N

Dave White 05-25-2010 12:13 AM

Just looked at the site, maybe it is gauze? What's the difference, it can still be cleaned and reused? Anyway, switching to a cone, so mine may be available soon.

Unkle 05-25-2010 04:15 AM

Hi

I enjoy this forum and am soaking up the info on the 964 prior to a purchase, however i want to contribute to the filter debate with an article i found , it may be useful

Debunking the K&N Myth – Why OEM is Better

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Without the endless anecdotal threads on forums about how it made this car faster and that car better, sometimes it nice to have some factual information.

It has always made me wonder, if the claim by the Aftermarket performance filters is so strong, why they don't do these tests in a controlled enviroment and display the evidence.

This part stuck in my mind in the article:
"In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.
Compared to the AC, the K&N“plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt.

springer3 05-25-2010 06:48 AM

+1. Stock intake was designed by Porsche using advanced computing and bench-dyno testing to optimize the engine and the car as a system. Aftermarket filters are designed using a #2 pencil, and pretty much a one size fits all approach.

Most reports are that K&N passes grit, which you can see in the intake system. 99%+ has already passed to the engine. Stock filter will keep the intake clean and the engine protected.

911Jetta 05-25-2010 09:36 AM

^^^^^
Excellent response!

kdfwagen 05-25-2010 12:16 PM

uhh, well I agree with you guys. I am not looking to buy a K&N panel filter or any other type of GAUZE filter.. I am looking to by one of the thick foam panel filters..(ITG, pipercross, or trueflow).

I would have bought an ITG foam panel filter however they don't make one for our cars.. I had a cone one on my previous car and they were great.
http://pumabuild.co.uk/catalog/image...-Panel-itg.jpg

Unkle 05-26-2010 04:11 AM

I didn't think the Performance filter "cotton gauze issue" is specific to the K&N, the Foam filters are equally poor.

Free flowing = more dirt in the engine.

If you are racing and rebuilding each season or after track events a free flowing filter may be a worth while addition, but if you are using it for normal activity they are not worth it.

You mentioned the previous cone filter was great, what was it great at doing?

rarebear 05-27-2010 03:45 PM

I have used K@N filters for 10 years now on my Alfa Romeos and the 911.... and no problems
i.e. engine rebuilds whatsoever.... why is there always a group that rejects automotive products
other than original parts ??

crg53 05-27-2010 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by rarebear (Post 7606659)
I have used K@N filters for 10 years now on my Alfa Romeos and the 911.... and no problems
i.e. engine rebuilds whatsoever.... why is there always a group that rejects automotive products
other than original parts ??

I have one question; what are the benefits of an after market filter other than it costs more money??

:biggulp::biggulp:

Cupcar#12 05-28-2010 03:07 AM

for the 964 none or almost none - i use OEM and toss them at regular intervals

rarebear 05-28-2010 05:00 PM

the K&N is good for 100k , the paper filter for 10k the K&N is 5 times the price of the paperfilter..so,
but I am starting to wonder after reading the test report comparison..
on the other hand on the circuit almost all Porsches use non standard airfilters....
please help me !!!

crg53 05-28-2010 06:13 PM

My take on this is, if you use your car for pleasure and the odd track day, stay with the stock airbox/filter.
If your car is more for track purpose, run with no filter or K&N cone filter as far as I am concerned, as you will be rebuilding your engine way more often.
The only reason I can see to go aftermarket would be if there was a performance difference i.e. more HP or Torque, but as far as I know the difference on a stock or lightly modded engine, is close to nil.

Just my 2C. :cheers::cheers:

Unkle 05-28-2010 06:50 PM

The Data is suggesting you will get more air flow in a ISO test bench session(not directly relating to a % increase in BHP though), and you will get more dirt and it will clogg up fast and therefore performance will reduce rapidly. And like crg53 and i have suggested, if you rebuild often for full race track use, a free flowing air filter is ideal. But If you want to reduce the amount of dirt in the engine over its life, fit O.E. or similar. Mann make good filters in Europe.