Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Fire damage - starting the repair (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/569202-fire-damage-starting-the-repair.html)

Duck 05-19-2010 09:15 PM

Fire damage - starting the repair

4 Attachment(s)
Well I have started to fix the area that caught fire this weekend. I was able to get the fire wall out and have a fairly good view of the area. Now it appears that the fire burned a hole in the bottom of the casing for the front fan. I have a couple questions for the Think Tank of Rennlist:

1. Based on the picture of the hole below, any suggestions? I really do not want to buy a whole system, if I can help it. Not sure if I have the money to do it.

**** Well I have just found that dcauto has the lower section for a fairly reasonable price. Pulling the whole system out will be fun.

2. Anybody know what these wires are that were burned up. There are 2 very heavy gauge wires that bolted into the side of the fuse panel (could these be positive battery cables)? If no one knows, is there a good place to find out this info. I have tried the shop manual (on CD), but have not found anything that really helps.

**** More research done tonight. I am thinking these wires are the main power to the fuse panel.

3. There are a set of wires back under there that do not look burnt. Am I taking too much risk by not pulling the HVAC and verifying condition?

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is a bummer since I spent so much time getting the new suspension and new wheels ready and to have this happen.

Thanks

Duck 05-21-2010 06:18 AM

Update: I have the lower HVAC system cover on order. Also I have confirmed that the wires that caught on fire were the positive battery cables. I have found a used one and it is now on order (new one was almost $700). I will start to remove items this weekend like the gas tank.

Should be a lot of fun.

tbennett017 05-21-2010 12:31 PM

Wow Duck, sorry to hear that this happened, but you also sound pretty lucky that the damage was limited.

911Jetta 05-21-2010 04:25 PM

Duck,
Sent you a PM.
Udo

Duck 05-21-2010 10:08 PM

I hope to start a little work this weekend. I will take as many pictures as possible. I will need to replace the positive battery harness (unfortunately I cannot find a write up on anyone doing this). Maybe this can be my first contribution to the DIY files (more than likely, what not to do).

I am little scared to start on the hvac. It has so many pieces. Hopefully I can get the gas tank out this weekend and get everything organized.

I am sure I will have questions once I get into it. Wish I could get a bulk of hours to work on it, however the demands of work and having a 7 yr old daughter makes that difficult.

Thanks.

Duck 05-23-2010 09:12 AM

Decent amount of work completed this morning:

* Gas tank is out
* All under linings removed
* Started removing bits and pieces in order to take the hvac system out

I now know why I have not seen anyone posting about replacing the positive wiring harness. It is going to be fun. The cable comes out of the front trunk and loops above the steering rack. Not sure how I am going to deal with that. I really do not want to mess with the steering rack.

If I am successful at getting everything replaced, back together, and running, I will be amazed. I am sure it would have cost me a fortune to have a shop to do this. The hours of labor would be many.

Duck 07-04-2010 07:49 PM

After only 13 hrs of work today putting the car back together, it started. I think that I am ready to start driving it again.

Actually if something else goes wrong, it is going to the shop. I am all DIY'd out for now.

elbeee964 07-05-2010 10:26 AM

:cheers:
"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

(And - man! - Porsche electricals are the farthest of far shores... -The Dimestore Philosopher)

:thumbup:

DDotson 07-07-2010 01:17 AM

Glad to hear you're back on the road! Hope you stay incident free for awhile so you can enjoy that new suspension and those new rims.

Duck 07-07-2010 07:26 AM

Thanks Darryl. So far so good. I do have to check the rear bumper. I had to get it towed (flatbed) to an Indy to get the positive battery harness installed. The rear bumper got caught while going up on the tow truck. Once I save up for a new paint job, I was going to replace it anyway (pretty bad shape).

I am planning to drive it to Pinehurst at the end of this month for a yearly golf outing. So will need to really look it over before then.

Let me know if you make it down to Wilmington anytime.

Duck

Rocket Rob 07-07-2010 01:05 PM

Congratulations! That's quite a job to tackle. Now that you've done it, do you have any tips for people, if they need to do the same in the future?

DDotson 07-10-2010 06:20 PM

Bummer about your bumper (pun intended...). Sounds like a great annual tradition at Pinehurst. I've been able to play a few courses in Southern Pines, but haven't made it to P-hurst #2 yet. Hope you get the car and your game in great shape this month. Maybe we'll make it down your way by the end of the month - will call ahead if we do. Take care.