Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Will this be the RSA of the BMW world?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 05:36 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT: Will this be the RSA of the BMW world?

1995 BMW CSL. Wonder will value continue to go up for these cars?

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...28705&aff=wfaa
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you referring to the San Diego car with 41K miles for $34K? Your link took me to the home page ... damned Autotrader!

I think the RSA comparison is reasonable. The big difference is that the CSL is more hard core--no a/c, no radio, no sunroof--so it might appeal to a smaller audience than an RSA. The fixed wing and blue/red checker graphics might not be to everyone's liking, either.
http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/models/m3_ltw.htm

Very cool car, though!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
axl911
Drifting

Yeah...i meant the 95 M3 CSL for 34K.

BMW had the same philosophy as the RSA, lighter weight, tricky go faster bits, limited number. Most CSL ended up sitting on the showroom floor and had to be sold for cheap.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LTW is what the RSA was supposed to be.

The LTW had all kinds of trick stuff. Hand picked/dynoed engines, aluminum doors and fenders, light weight wheels, different gear ratios plus all the deleted stuff mentioned above. Here is a better description:

What is an E36 M3 Lightweight?
The M3 Lightweight (referred to internally as the E36 M3 CSL) is a special track-oriented version of the U.S.-spec 1995 E36 M3 coupe designed for serious driving enthusiasts. Though BMW NA originally stated that just 85 M3 Lightweights would be produced, it has been confirmed that at least 114 examples were actually built between August and October of 1995, in addition to seven pre-production models built in January and February of 1995. All Lightweights share their VIN sequence with the standard 1995 M3 coupe and were built in random batches on the standard 3 Series assembly line. They retained the stock 240-hp S50 B30 USA powerplant, though BMW NA claimed that all engines fitted to the Lightweights were tested to make sure they were operating at the top of the acceptable range. According to BMW figures, the Lightweight weighs 2,950 lbs., 225 less than the regular M3 coupe. All M3 Lightweights were painted Alpine White III (300) and included the following special features:
-Shortened 3.23:1 final drive
-Top speed limiter removed
-Aluminum doors
-Reduced sound insulation
-Stiffer springs and shocks from the European-spec M3
-M shock tower brace
-Forged M Double Spoke alloy wheels (7.5x17-in. front, 8.5x17-in. rear)
-M3 GT front spoiler lip extension
-Standard M3 rear spoiler with integrated third brake light
-Chequered flag decals in BMW Motorsport colors on left-front and right-rear corners of bodywork
-"BMW Motorsport International" emblems on exterior door mouldings and interior door sill plates
-BMW sport seats (manual adjustment) covered in anthracite "Hurricane" cloth with red highlights
-Anthracite carpeting from the four-cyilnder E36 coupe
-Air conditioning delete
-Radio delete
-Sound insulation reduction
-Tool kit delete
-Console Valet delete
-Carbon fiber-look dash and center console trim

In addition, the following items were offered as special-order options that could be installed by the dealer:
-M3 GT-style adjustable rear spolier (with integrated third brake light)
-Lower chassis X-brace (for added stiffness)
-Upper strut tower brace
-BMW M oil pan and dual-pickup oil pump
-Ride-height adjustable suspension
-Cross-drilled brake rotors
-Adjustable camber plates
Old 05-20-2010, 01:14 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Someone on here's got a Lightweight with a Euro motor. Frayed? What a fun car that must be. Hell, my porky four door's a good time.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:41 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Over the years, I almost bought two. It seems the BMW world doesn't feel that strongly about this car. The prices really haven't appreciated that much over the past 10 years. With all that said, I really think this car has potential as a collectable "sleeper".
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjandon
The LTW is what the RSA was supposed to be.
Yep.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:42 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Then perhaps it's more the 964 RS of the BMW world.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:03 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Definitely an awesome car. One of my good friends (guy that brought my euro motor in from Europe for me) has a LTW with the euro motor in it as well. Custom fabricated dry sump oiling, electric PS, electric water pump, Alpha-N tune (no airflow meter of any sort, runs straight off of rpm vs. throttle position), CF airbox, and some big lumpy shrick cams. Its a beast. But, as said above, they aren't as popular as one might think among the BMW crowd. They kind of live in the shadow between the e30 M3 EVO's and the E46 M3 CSL's. Especially when you can buy a nice standard e36 M3 for <$10k, and have a good amount of cash left over to build it into whatever you want.

BMW has brought some cool cars to the states. Somewhat little known, and not heard of everyday, like the 3.0 CSL, 2002tii, e28 M5, etc.

Originally Posted by mbrouder
Someone on here's got a Lightweight with a Euro motor. Frayed? What a fun car that must be. Hell, my porky four door's a good time.
I've got a what some might call a "lightweight" with a euro motor

2800lbs in full factory street trim - full interior, AC, power windows, locks, etc.
321hp 3.2l ITB motor
6-speed, 3.46 LSD
H&R race springs/koni adjustables on Bridgestone RE-01R's

Its my little rocketship!

(Sorry, just had to ***** it out for a minute. Back to the LTW.)

Last edited by ChaseN; 05-23-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:49 AM
axl911
Drifting

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Definitely an awesome car. One of my good friends (guy that brought my euro motor in from Europe for me) has a LTW with the euro motor in it as well. Custom fabricated dry sump oiling, electric PS, electric water pump, Alpha-N tune (no airflow meter of any sort, runs straight off of rpm vs. throttle position), CF airbox, and some big lumpy shrick cams. Its a beast. But, as said above, they aren't as popular as one might think among the BMW crowd. They kind of live in the shadow between the e30 M3 EVO's and the E46 M3 CSL's. Especially when you can buy a nice standard e36 M3 for <$10k, and have a good amount of cash left over to build it into whatever you want.

BMW has brought some cool cars to the states. Somewhat little known, and not heard of everyday, like the 3.0 CSL, 2002tii, e28 M5, etc.

I've got a what some might call a "lightweight" with a euro motor

2800lbs in full factory street trim - full interior, AC, power windows, locks, etc.
321hp 3.2l ITB motor
6-speed, 3.46 LSD
H&R race springs/koni adjustables on Bridgestone RE-01R's

Its my little rocketship!

(Sorry, just had to ***** it out for a minute. Back to the LTW.)

I wanna see the pics.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, all I've got are crappy cell phone pics on me. (In Pittsburgh on business)

Under the knife:

February time-frame, almost done. Ignore the non-fitting filter and exposed harness, Its all done now, just don't have any recent pics:

The collection:

These crappy pics don't do the car justice. One day I'll have to clean the pair up and get some real pics of them with my fiance's SLR. I'm kinda behind the curve on photography unfortunately!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:49 AM
axl911
Drifting

What conversion kit did you use? That S-52 and the 3.46 make it a hoot to drive I bet.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:51 AM
Amroth
Racer

Not usually a BMW fan but I love that old M3!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:00 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by axl911
What conversion kit did you use? That S-52 and the 3.46 make it a hoot to drive I bet.
Didn't use a 'conversion kit' per se...just different parts from lots of different model BMWs, (and a couple non-BMWs) and a good amount of time with my torch, grinder, and welder (custom 6 speed crosssmember, modified front subframe to clear the euro long-tube headers, custom motor mount arm, etc).

And yeah, the s50, (no s52 made in europe, just an s50b30 or s50b32) is a blast. It is so light you can toss it around the road like nothing...and pretty much romp on most other performance cars. (I pulled about 1/2 car length on a new V8 M3 ) Next step though is bigger brakes. Then, Alpha-N, a CF airbox, and cams...
Old 05-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Were they seam welded?

Quick Reply: OT: Will this be the RSA of the BMW world?