Sponsored by:

Euro-RS Gearbox / LSD oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
The 964t's seem to have their own unique problems. If it works for you fine. I'm just reporting what the factory has been using for quite a few years now. and what seems to work fine in my 993Cup transmission
No problem Bill.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:36 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Geoffery, have you had any experience with REDLINE 75W90 NS; seems a lot of people like the product?

If you track your car do NOT use the Redline. It's got the same slippery issue that Geoffery was talking about with the Mobil1 LS. When the Redline gets really hot at the track it gets too slick and they synchros don't work right.

You constantly see guys posting about how the Redline cured their balky shifting issues in 1st and 2nd when the car is cold or in the winter. That's because it's more slippery. That same slickness that's an advantage for the street guys becomes a liability at higher temps. on the track.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Matt, are you sure about that; if you read REDLINEs description of this oil HERE it states that is DOES NOT have the friction modifiers.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If you are using Redline it needs to be the "NS" version...75w90 NS has been terrific in my cup car.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
Matt, are you sure about that; if you read REDLINEs description of this oil HERE it states that is DOES NOT have the friction modifiers.

That's correct. I disagree with Redline and what they would recommend you put in your gearbox. I've just seen too many gearboxes in race cars go bad when using their products in a racing application. Like I said, it's a decent street oil and a lot of people like it. In my business, my bias is racing. When I give input and advice on gearbox care it's going to be influenced by what we see at the track.

For a street car that sees weekend track use as a DE vehicle we recommend Mobil1 Delvac or Porsche's factory fill, which these days is made by Shell. They are both reasonably priced and relatively easy to source, at least here in the states they are.

While both of the above oils would also be satisfactory for track use, what we recommend for dedicated racecars is Lubrication Engineers. A number of the Grand Am and PCA teams that we work with have used that oil with great success in their vehicles. They have seen an average of nearly 20 degrees lower gearbox temperatures over the length of a race, which for a PCA enduro is a 1 hour+ and for Grand Am can be 3-6 hours in duration. Heat is what kills these sorts of parts and if it runs cooler it's gonna last longer. However it's probably overkill for a street car, especially since you've got to buy it in 5 gallon pails.

But you know what the best thing about free advice is? One is free to ignore it. It won't hurt my feelings if you choose to use Redline in your car.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC
Old 05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Matt, good advise, I run Delvac in mine and it is staying in there.
Lately there has been a lot of talk of alternatives to the Mobil Delvac 75w-90, mostly because it is not readily available in many area's, including Canada, but I think most application was intended for street use, and that's what I had in mind when talking REDLINE.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:27 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

there are some many LSD/Noise threads I wasnt sure where to post this .. anyone have some insight?

I'm wondering about what sounds like LSD noise when car in straight line at 4.5k revs and up
Noise sounds as if it is from (middle) back left side of car
It sounds like wind or air .. but it isnt, its the gearbox or diff (clutch in noise gone)

I have recently removed some of the car's internal sound deadening so there may be some impact from that

I'm not talking about the LSD plates chattering at stand still or when doing slow turn or reverse
More like a higher pitched chattering/whirring sound at hi speed (windy or air related sound)
goes away when clutch is depressed; only happens under load

Isn't there when car starts up and drives around but about 1-2km down the highway it seems to 'pop'out
ie once oil warmed, thinned?

Am running Devlac & Cup car gearbox oil additive from Apex Racing
Am pretty sure the noise wasnt there when I first drove post-stripping the interior ... but not sure!
.. it maybe iwas there the whole time

There is a bit of oil on the outside of the diff ... maybe a leak there?

Maybe I should just change oil ... but I did in Nov 2013 ie 3,000kms ago
thanks Steen, Matt et al

Last edited by HiWind; 06-28-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM
boots
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use castrol saf-xj,my diff has been built by manthey racing very very tight,this is what they use,my gearshift is perfect once hot,take a little longer than mobil oil to get shift a smooth,possibly 2 km
Don't really notice but if being critical
I been using same oil for last 4-5 years approx 30 km,change every second year or when I was using on track every year,comes out spotless every time
Hope this helps
Old 06-28-2014, 03:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I checked oil .. full enough and clean ...
changed it and did about 50 laps of Killarney

noise isnt bad, its just not a nice noise (like exhaust is)

Quick Reply: Euro-RS Gearbox / LSD oil