Sponsored by:

HELP - car doesn't start!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:07 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Unhappy HELP - car doesn't start!!

Today was the day to start up the car, but it wont start! The engine cranks just fine but doesn't ignite.

I tried to connect the scantool but it can't get a connection with the DME but it works with the CCU so the scantool works. I haven't touched the engine during the winter so nothing is changed in the rear. What I've done is this:

-Removed the passanger airbag and the harness between the airbag control, center console and crash sensors. But I cant see how this would do any difference for the DME.

- Re-routed the DME-unit and mounted it on the rear-seat wall. I did remove 30 cm of the old electrical tape aorund the DME's electrical harness to put on some fresh tape. But I was carefull and didn't bend/cut anything. The two other connectors for the DME under the seat is still in place and cleaned and so is the ground cable

- Passangerside. I did another mounting plated for the alarm unit but it's still in the same place and all the cables are the same.

I've tried to change the DME-relay to another one I had.

And that's it. So the only thing I can think of is if the airbag control in some way has a connection with the DME, but you're supposed to run the car even if the airbagsystem brakes down so I really can't see a problem here.

The other thing is that something has been damaged/broken like a cable that I didn't notice.

So any ideas??!!

Is there some way to test something, like a jumper cable somewhere to override any system?

Thanks,

Thomas
Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I would check the basics. Do you have a spark? And do you have fuel pressure?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:49 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Problem solved!

You have to jump wire the connector to the airbag control unit. I didn't realise it killed the DME connection if you don't. Know I just used a piece of wire between pin 3 and 4. But I've also ordered the 928-number plug from my Porsche garage which is the correct piece to us for this. Once the wire was in place the car started at once and the scantool got a DME connection:-)

You learn something new every day!

Thomas

Quick Reply: HELP - car doesn't start!!