Sponsored by:

Suspension - The "while you're in there" thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Suspension - The "while you're in there" thread

It's time to bite the bullet and update the tired suspension on my C4. I've searched through every available thread and read "Wringing Out Your C4" end to end. I'm going the Bilstein/H&R combo, C2 rear sway bar and strut brace route.

What I'd like to know is, when the wheels are off and the suspension is out - what other things should I consider replacing? Drop links, bushings, wheel bearings, nuts, bolts washers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would certainly do the bushings, probably the drop links and all the nuts and bolts. I doubt I would go as far as to do the bearings as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
It's time to bite the bullet and update the tired suspension on my C4. I've searched through every available thread and read "Wringing Out Your C4" end to end. I'm going the Bilstein/H&R combo, C2 rear sway bar and strut brace route.

What I'd like to know is, when the wheels are off and the suspension is out - what other things should I consider replacing? Drop links, bushings, wheel bearings, nuts, bolts washers?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
I went the Bilstein HD and H&R, but not the sways at this point. Because the car is unlikely to see more than 20 track days a year, I am staying with OEM strut mounts and other components including all new fastners. I am also doing rotors and braided brake lines.

Wheel bearings does not have to be changed unless it is/going bad. I plan to use Tarret drop links when I do the sways.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Since you have a C4, I would strongly suggest you do a front sway bar too - wrestling a front sway in past the front diff is a bugger but much easier to do while the front struts are out.

Also do the upper rubber mounts, both front and rear. When I changed to H&R a few years ago, I changed my rubber mounts as they were tired and old. I have since went to JIC's without rubber mounts.

Drop links (OEM for front, Tarrett for rear as Ira does not make C4 front ones yet), bushings, and nuts/bolts should also all be done. I'd skip the wheel bearings.

Marc
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Front brake lines for sure.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

check the boots on the front steering rack for tears and replace since you need an alignment after the suspension anyways.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Logan964C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cliff: When are you going to do this? As you may remember, I am running stock suspension still and need to do the same. I have also settled on the Bilstein/H&R Green combo. R6Xterra (Jeff) in Cambridge did this himself recently and generously offered to provide me with input when I am ready to move forward myself. My plan is to do this work in the fall. I will send you a PM to see about watching your progress to get a comfort level with my ability to do this job myself.

Steve
Old 05-13-2010, 06:33 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy peesy. Cleaning takes the longest. My car is under the knife as we speak, 3 weeks and I will have a monster on my hands, Protomotive stage 1, mmmmm Horse power.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles on this car? What's your budget? Bushings are a pretty big and (potentially) expensive job.

However, I'd add the spring plates to the list of items to check.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM
colbychris
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning To Upgrade 1989 C4 Wheels and Suspension

Following this thread, thought it might be a good place to ask some questions.

I'm planning on upgrading the wheels and suspension of my 89' C4 which I track about 10 days a year but still want to be reasonably comfortable when driving around town.

Any opinions on wheel diameter? Can (should) I go with 18" over 17"? Can the rears safely accommodate 10" wide with the help of spacers?

I've read 'Wringing Out'. Does anyone have any recommendations on shock and spring combinations for my application?

Will a lowered 89' C4 be able to accommodate 18" wheels?

Please forgive my naivety, this is my first Porsche of which I've only owned for a few years, completely stock.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Suspension - The "while you're in there" thread