Sponsored by:

Monday Menagerie

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday Menagerie

Well, not much going on this weekend with Mother's day. Saturday was not much... wife went shopping Saturday morning so I had the kids.

Did brunch on Mother's Day, then cut the grass. Had one of the kids while she did more shopping. Notice there was no Porsche driving in there?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My weekend was mostly Mother's Day stuff too. I had hoped to wash and wax the cars but it was raining on Saturday so it didn't happen. I ended up doing laundry and watching some movies. Sunday was spent with my girlfriend's mom and grandmother (9:30-4:30). After the visit, we drove to the NH coast and toured a couple old forts (Fort Stark and Fort Constitution). It was actually pretty interesting.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I dropped the 964 at the mechanics. They've told me the alternator appears to be working fine. It definitely wasn't when I checked it, but it means it makes no sense for them to replace it. They'll monitor it while they've still got the car - means a cheaper service bill I guess.

I was told my front hubs are out of spec (checked due to the vibration under light braking) but I don't want them replaced until I need new discs since they've already caused uneven wear on the discs.

Turbo is clearly still leaking coolant (or has started leaking again). I've topped up the level - time will tell how quickly it's leaking (my guess is it's not a new leak, which means one litre in 5-6 months / 5k miles).
Old 05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i did the normal run erands in the Pcars. I spent all day yesterday screwing with my boat trying to get the motor to start after sitting for a year. Its a OMC IO with a 2.3L Ford motor. I sprayed starter fluid and carb cleaner in the carb and not even a cough out of it. I dont seem to be getting spark. It was hard checking spark by myself so will need to get some help next weekend. I did notice the points are pretty much gone so will get a set this week. The good thing is I got my first sunburn out of the way for the summer
Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
i did the normal run erands in the Pcars. I spent all day yesterday screwing with my boat trying to get the motor to start after sitting for a year. Its a OMC IO with a 2.3L Ford motor. I sprayed starter fluid and carb cleaner in the carb and not even a cough out of it.
Why do boats still have carbs and not F/I? Is it a cost thing? Is it easier to tune it to run at an optimum RPM? I never got that.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Why do boats still have carbs and not F/I? Is it a cost thing? Is it easier to tune it to run at an optimum RPM? I never got that.
My boat is 18 years old. The new ones I would bet are FI. Most bigger outboards are.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
1971 911T
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

spent monday-friday sailing course in annapolis MD. drove the 250 miles roundtrip everyday 6am-6pm. mon-tue-thur-fri in the C2-tip, wed on the 1990 saab 900. different, but still fun. 1000mile week for the 964. drivers window snapped its guide rails, so had to open door at tolls
Old 05-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I managed to get the transmission fluid changed to Redline, flush the PDAS locks and slave cylinder, and clean up the garage a bit Saturday.

Sunday was all about my wife so no P-car activity at all.

Marc
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the car to run (hoorah!) but it won't idle. Realized afterwards that I forgot to put the vacuum reservoir back in, and think thats the main issue...

Still need to shift the exhaust around a bit, and toss the bumper/lights back on. My exhaust currently has 2 very minor leaks - one at each clamp on the primary bypass. Is it even possible to get these completely leak-free?

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I managed to get the transmission fluid changed to Redline, flush the PDAS locks and slave cylinder, and clean up the garage a bit Saturday.

Marc
What redline fluid did you use in your C4? I have lots of the 75w90 (not the NS) but have been holding off as I am unsure if it is correct.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a 2 hour round trip with the wife in the P car to pic up my daughter's senior portrait. Nice two lane for most of it. Cleaned the garage and drank beer Sunday. Wife went shopping and did brunch with my three daughters. Ouch. I think they call it brunch because it costs as much as a breakfast and lunch.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

It was cold and rainy in Michigan so I figured it was a good day to polish and wax the Turbo (usually don't get around to it until July/August). Sunday was crisp but sunny so my son and I blasted down I-696 (chased an M-5 at 110 mph) to see my mom.
Hope the weather is better this coming weekend.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
It was cold and rainy in Michigan so I figured it was a good day to polish and wax the Turbo (usually don't get around to it until July/August). Sunday was crisp but sunny so my son and I blasted down I-696 (chased an M-5 at 110 mph) to see my mom.
Hope the weather is better this coming weekend.
Chased? I'm sure you were merely drafting him, choosing your moment.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:23 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by xeps
What redline fluid did you use in your C4? I have lots of the 75w90 (not the NS) but have been holding off as I am unsure if it is correct.
I used the 75w90NS but have not had a chance to drive it much to tell how it shifts.

Marc
Old 05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Got my car back from the mechanic today. And guess what? The alternator isn't charging!

When I first discovered that was the cause of my poor headlights, I measured the output across the batteries when the battery was fully charged (by the trickle charger) - and it gave 12.75v with the engine off, and 12.5v with the engine idling.

Having driven back from the mechanic this morning (about 25 miles, but 1 hour 10 minutes - what fun), then a short journey this afternoon, the car was very sluggish to turn over. Measured the voltage - 12.04v with engine off, 11.88v with engine idling. So the alternator is quite clearly not charging.

I called the mechanics (who I trust) and they say they checked twice and the voltage was over 13.5v when they tested it. Maybe they were just lucky, since both times I've tried it I've clearly been running off just the battery.

So - not only will my service not be cheaper than I thought - I now have to take the car back to them after work tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:00 PM
hawk911
Race Car

you still trust them???

Quick Reply: Monday Menagerie