Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law and order?? A bit off topic..

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Law and order?? A bit off topic..

Dear all,

Is there a way I can drive a car in the US straight after I bought it?
I would like to buy it and then drive it for 3 weeks before I ship it home to europe, I found out I can insure it but is it possible? I looking for buying it from a private person and not a dealer....
Old 05-05-2010, 08:27 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you may be able to get a 30 day temporary tag if you have proof of insurance. Not being the registered owner may be a problem getting one tho,
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM
tniccum
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it will depend on which state you make the purchase, and each state sets their own rules. I'd contact the state's (where you're making the purchase) Department of Transportation for the rules. Generally if you live in the USA you can buy and drive the same day you transfer the title - but that usually includes getting a temporary tag (again depends on the state- some states like Minnesota the license plate stays with the car - no temp tag needed).
Old 05-05-2010, 10:32 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Felix, also keep in mind, that in some states, if you put insurance on the car, you will have to pay the local state taxes, which can easily be another 7%.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

It used to be that you could present the DMV a signed and notarized title, and they would give you one 30 day tag. Essentially this allows one to travel from Ohio to Michigan (or any other state), purchase a car, drive home on 30 day tags without getting a Michigan (ect) title first. A signed title is like cash, so you own the car... It's just not in your name yet in the system.

I say this used to be the case because I have not had to do it in several years, so I'm not sure it anything has changed. Call a DMV (or BMV) in the state you are trying to purchase, they will be able to tell you. I would not mention anything about being from europe... simply ask: Can I get a temporary lisence with just a signed notarized title, or do I need to finish the transfer first.

Good luck, and have fun!!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Henrik964
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

ok, the car is in California, anyone that knows about the rules there?
Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Felix, unless you talk to DMV in California you may not get the exact and up to date information, that is by far your best bet. I CAN tell you however, that California is one of the toughest states in which to buy a car and then try to put a permit on it, so you can drive it somewhere, without having to pay the local taxes. I have several friends that did this, and they live in Oregon which has no sales tax; what they ended up doing was to get the owner to drive the car to Oregon and then do the transfer there. Something to think about, so you can save yourself some $$$.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Tough. Something vaguely clicked, and I found this:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/reg_hdbk_...and_Decals.pdf

Under 25.090 you have a Foreign Resident In-Transit Permit, but that applies only to NEW AMERICAN vehicles.

Ultimately, if your Swedish insurance covers you (how does it work with any car you'd rent here???) and the car is legally registered.............driving it with the paperwork in hand shouldn't cause any problems. But I'd have to say there would be risk involved. (Not to mention if I were the seller I'd be suspect in letting a foreign resident just drive off.)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
fiemiller
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plate stays with the car in California so it should come with one, but that doesn't mean the plate is any good.

Quick Reply: Law and order?? A bit off topic..