Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Pad Question

I am replacing the pads in my 964 and was contemplating OEM in the rear and Pagids up front to save a couple of hundred bucks but improve stopping power. Can you mix and match these without problems and if so what color should I go with? I was thinking yellows based on the attached graphic but??? I assume more grip in front is better than the back?

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi...1203-pagid.htm
Old 04-21-2010, 12:10 AM
941MXVET
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no first hand knowledge on this, but I would not mix pads since the biasing is already set. I would imagine the putting different pads on would effect the biasing.

Since I have never tried this others with first hand experence may have a different opinion.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:41 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pagid Yellow pads are for track driving where the brakes see extreme conditions, i.e. repeated, hard braking with little rest. The problem with using them on the street is that you first need to warm them up before they can work effectively. On a cold morning, you could actually back out of your driveway and slide right into traffic if you're not paying attention.

As for bias, the front brakes already provide more braking force than the rears. It's not really necessary to try to improve on this. Same pads all around is probably the way to go.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on yellows being not the right choice for the road. The squealing will also annoy you. The small pads on the rear of your C2 limit the choice of pads you can get so I would stick with OEM.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
breale01
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
The small pads on the rear of your C2 limit the choice of pads you can get so I would stick with OEM.
93's have the same rear pad as front, do they not? My '90 has the smaller rear size making anything but OEM hard to find.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

FWIW. I'm running Pagid's Street Sport (blue) pads on my car. I'm very happy with them. They are good for street use and the occasional track day.

No affiliations.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by breale01
93's have the same rear pad as front, do they not? My '90 has the smaller rear size making anything but OEM hard to find.
Yes you're right, a 93 should have the 4 pots (I didn't spot that Travis' car was a 93 so thanks for pointing that out to me ). Saying that...we have examples over here where a 93 registered car could have been built a year or two earlier (due to cars not selling during the recession at the time). This can mean that a later registered car still has the earlier 2 pots. One of the reasons I upgraded my 90 to 4 pots was to get over the lack of pad choice I had.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:33 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all. I do have the 4 pots and I can use the same pads whether back or front. It looks like I'll more than likely go with OEM all the way around but would still be interested if someone has had success doing something a little different. I was hoping to do a couple DEs this year and wanted to set it up as well as can...within reason.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:26 AM
mdowell
Intermediate

I just put Hawk brakes in my '92 last weekend (and new rotors and lines and superblue) and so far I love em. My longtime Porsche racing uncle recommended them to me as good street/DE brakes with little dust and no squeal.

I had the OEM pads in there before and the squealing was distracting.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
pantera43
Pro

Travis, truthfully if you have intentions of going to a few DE's stock pads are not going to hold up. I'm using Porterfield R4 pads and am quite happy with them as a dual purpose track/street pad. They are easy on the rotors, hold up well on track and work quite well cold for the street.

Dan
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

Travis:
For street driving try the Hawk HPS. Good pad, not a lot of dust and they are not noisy. I have been happy with them. It is a street pad, but you can feel the difference between the HPS and the OE pads. If the car is primarily used for street driving, I would not put a race pad on the car.

Kind regards,
Old 04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
95Rover
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Noob here. Looking at purchasing a 964 to supplement wife's '04 Cayenne S. To the point I replaced OEM w/ Hawk HPS, on the Cayenne and neither my wife nor I notice a performance difference. I realize this is a different animal, but Hawk's seem to hold up well for city/suburb traffic and occasional highway blasts.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Travis:
For street driving try the Hawk HPS. Good pad, not a lot of dust and they are not noisy. I have been happy with them. It is a street pad, but you can feel the difference between the HPS and the OE pads. If the car is primarily used for street driving, I would not put a race pad on the car.

Kind regards,
+1 - used to have Hawk HPS and they worked out well except that on the track I ended up with significant rotor grooving. Please check my previous threads on the topic. Also agree with everything that was said above on the Pagid yellows. Not a good choice if you plan on non-track use. I have switched back to OEM pads and I am very happy with them (I have the 993TT big brake kit).

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question