Sponsored by:

Stereo/alarm related electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stereo/alarm related electrical gremlin

My car came with a non working older Eclipse head unit. I replaced it about a week ago with a new Blaupunkt head unit. I researched other threads before the install and I made sure to isolate the green wire and wrap it with electrical tape. The install went well and everything seemed to be in order (or so I thought!).

Fast forward to several days later. I go to start the car and it tries to turn over but the battery is too low. Crap…current drain. I also noticed I was getting a double blinking light on my door locks indicating there is an alarm fault. My first step was to pull the new head unit out and double check the green wire to make sure it was properly isolated. No problems here. I also checked for cuts/nicks that could be causing the wire to ground out but the wire appears to be in perfect condition.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that my driver’s side interior dome light is staying on even when the driver’s side door is closed. Perhaps the switch in the door jamb that is compressed when the door is closed has failed? I am guessing the failed switch could also cause the alarm fault code.

Stayed in the garage until 1AM and now I am paying for it at work!

Thanks for any input,

Kyle
Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Dave White
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably just the door pin switch wire came off and is now touching ground all the time. Pull it out and check it.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

The green wire strikes again and I even knew about it when I did the install. I missed that the shielding on the green wire had to be stripped back and isolated from the center wire. Once I did this, the alarm fault and battery drain went away. Problem solved!

As for the driver's side light staying on...the trunk was open. Once I closed it, the light went off. The bulb was burned out on the passenger side which is why only the driver's side light was coming on.

Life is good...
Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I recently found my green wire (see pic below) and there is no where to attach it to my Alpine head unit. So I taped it up and left it behind the dash. Do I need to cut off the spade connector and strip it back before taping it up to isolate it?

Old 04-19-2010, 10:16 PM
kylejohnston1
Racer

Do I need to cut off the spade connector and strip it back before taping it up to isolate it?
If you've already installed the Alpine and you don't have a battery drain, you're probably on good shape. Next time you're in there, I would wrap some electrical tape around that spade connector just to play it safe. My stereo wiring harness that plugged into the OEM radio had been cut and the shielding around the green wire was touching the conductor. Once I stripped it back and isolated it from the conductor, I wrapped electrical tape around the end. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: Stereo/alarm related electrical gremlin