Bilstien Struts - New info

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 04:02 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilstien Struts - New info

Hello everyone,

I want to get a few things clear so that everyone is on the same page for suspension upgrades.

I purchased my H&R greens from shox.com along with bilstien struts.

Mark at shox.com is a really great guy to deal with and there prices are great too. He helped me with my dilema and I was able to return the konis.

I originaly purchased the NEW koni adjustable stuts (front) for my car and was very displeased thus sending them back.

1) does not come with boot cover
2) does not come with spanner nuts
3) comes with a slip on sleeve. not threaded on the strut like bilstien.
4) They did not have a unit on the shelf nor a person to discuss any technical data on the struts to help me with the few questions I had. (I know there is some sort of reorginization going on and they are adding new people, I hope they get things straight)

So, I just spoke to bilstien directly from california and they told me that both the front and rear struts are inverted and have an internal bump stop. You do NOT need to use the old bump stops.

I know that there are many people trying to upgrade, I just wanted to share the troubles I was dealing with to get things right.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Really??? I just bought rear and front bilsteins for my car and i know the fronts dont need them but are you sure the rear shocks dont need a bump stop?? I heard differently from them.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:45 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

hmmm i spoke to them today. They said no bump stops for front or rears.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Boeing 717

Is that for the HD's???
I hope it doesnt matter if i have them on because im not taking them apart again.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

This is for the HD. I have heard both that use them and ones who do not. I dont think it will make a difference. I wanted to call to make sure before i installed them.

I spent 6 hours on the front yesterday.

My wheel wells look like brand new again. hours of cleaning and scrubbing. Off to doing the rears today.

I am very happy so far.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by R6XTERRA
This is for the HD. I have heard both that use them and ones who do not. I dont think it will make a difference. I wanted to call to make sure before i installed them.

I spent 6 hours on the front yesterday.

My wheel wells look like brand new again. hours of cleaning and scrubbing. Off to doing the rears today.

I am very happy so far.
Right on!! Im cleaning mine up pretty good as i go along as well. I bead blasted my control arms and painted my rear calipers finally.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jerry, that looks just beautyful, great job. I am looking at the picture of the rear brake rotor, hard to tell from that picture, but to me it looks like the rotor vanes are pointing in the wrong direction, if they follow the same pattern as the slots/dimples, then they are. I may be completely wrong on this, but thought a double check never hurts.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by crg53
Jerry, that looks just beautyful, great job. I am looking at the picture of the rear brake rotor, hard to tell from that picture, but to me it looks like the rotor vanes are pointing in the wrong direction, if they follow the same pattern as the slots/dimples, then they are. I may be completely wrong on this, but thought a double check never hurts.
Thanks for checking CRG, the vanes are pointed toward the rear of the car if your looking at the top of the rotor so the vanes are right but the crossdrilling was wrong. I dont care though they still look ok to me. Well see how they work out on the road when i get it running though.

Quick Reply: Bilstien Struts - New info