964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential 964 purchase...

Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
featherpillow
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never will one of these engines, absent abuse like running it out of oil, "need" a top end well into the 100+K range.
That's good to know.

Bad news, though. I called to confirm my appointment tomorrow morning at the dealership, and the car was sold to another buyer today. So the 964 I was looking at is gone...

I guess I'll keep on looking. Once I buy something, I'll post photos. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM
hamah
Pro

Sorry to hear you lost out that time. I had that happen to me twice. The third and fourth time (I ended up buying the 4th one) I placed a deposit right away conditional on PPI, test drive, etc. For whatever reason good examples of 964s, while not particularly rare, seem to move pretty quickly when they hit the market.

I think a budget of $1000/yr for routine stuff and a secret stash of cash for the hidden gotcha's and you'll be fine ... as long as the car you buy has been well loved that is.

Originally Posted by featherpillow
That's good to know.

Bad news, though. I called to confirm my appointment tomorrow morning at the dealership, and the car was sold to another buyer today. So the 964 I was looking at is gone...

I guess I'll keep on looking. Once I buy something, I'll post photos. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
featherpillow
AutoX

I think a budget of $1000/yr for routine stuff and a secret stash of cash for the hidden gotcha's and you'll be fine ... as long as the car you buy has been well loved that is.
That's good to know.

My wife informed me today that under no condition will I be allowed to keep the 911 at our home here in Chicago...it has to stay at our house in Florida where "no one we know will ever see it." Apparently I'm an embarrassment...

Anyway, the hunt continues.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

The Pelican parts car ads have some decent-looking examples pop up now and again. I'm amazed at how much the prices have dropped since I bought mine almost 2 years ago. Sub-20k 964's were very rare then...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts
Default Who will notice a 20 year old car?

Originally Posted by featherpillow
My wife informed me today that under no condition will I be allowed to keep the 911 at our home here in Chicago...it has to stay at our house in Florida where "no one we know will ever see it." Apparently I'm an embarrassment...
My wife was a bit like that also, fortunately we only have one home so she's had to get used to the idea that neighbors or friends will see the car. At first I really didn't understand the sentiment and thought no one would really care or be too impressed with a 20 year old car that costs around $20,000? I also have loved 911s since I was a kid, so I had to have one and really didn't care what anyone thought.

Well I was wrong...everyone wants a ride in it, people try to race me, people tell me to slow down even when I'm going the speed limit (it's loud and always looks like it's going fast), I get both thumbs up and also ****-hole stares. On top of all that, most people (non-Porschephiles) still think it's a $50,000 car?!

It creates a lot more drama than I expected...I love the car more than I expected also!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. One of the few "benefits" of living in the nutjob populated Bay Area? I didn't turn a head 30 years ago at 18 driving one. None I have now get noticed at all. Correct that. I got noticed big time down at Monterey for the historics last year. As in people taking pictures of me at intersections and parking lots. Why? I had the bike rack on the RSA with the bikes...................
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM
jtucker
Advanced

Default just to thow in my $0.02

I've had my 92 C2 for about 2.5 years (weekend only car). Spent about $3500 so far including some a/c work and a full 60 k service at 57k miles a few weeks ago at the dealer. Right now I have no pending "issues", so i don't anticipate any more expenses until the next oil change. I also owned, among other Porsches an 83 SC for about 10 years. It was my daily driver for a few of those years. That car was extremely reliable. I don't think I spent more than 3-4 thousand on it the whole time I owned it including tires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potential 964 purchase...