Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer and ring gear question..(magnets)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default speedometer and ring gear question..(magnets)

I have a 90 C2 with a 91 eng and trans and am trying to get the speedo to work. Two ways i can go at this point until i get more info. I am aware of the differences between the two years, but my trans does indeed have a hole in the side for a sensor to mount (which is puzzling because everybody says the 91's dont have it, but it is an early model and there is actually a sensor in there now but the wires are cut off) but I cant tell if it has the sensor ring inside.

Does anyone have a photo of one? Maybe somebody did a rebuild and has a photo?
Right now i can see in the hole and can see the ring gear attaching bolt heads, so i'm ASSUMING that the sensor plate is not in there? Would that be correct? All the manuals i have show that it covers the bolts but i want to be sure. It would be nice to simply install a new sensor and run two wires to the engine connecotr and have the speedo work. The alternative, would be to install the R52 relay and wire it in like the 91+ cars have. Both are doable, but i need to know which way to go..

Thanks..
Old 03-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a picture handy, but you are correct, you should be able to at least feel the sensor ring in there with your finger. The sensor is oriented so that it reads the edge of the sensor ring where the magnets are. FWIW, the side cover of the transaxle comes of easily and you install the ring if necessary.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

The hole is to small to put my finger in, but i can see in it with a flashlight. If i am able to see the ring gear bolt heads, does that mean the sensor plate is not installed? The picture in the manuals make it appear as if the sensor plate was installed, i wouldnt be able to see those bolt heads.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

well no need to look afterall.. I'm pretty sure it didnt have it anyway. Last night I pulled out the manuals again and ran through all the differences between 90 and 91+ speedometers and the main difference was the use of the FCU relay # 52 in the newer cars versus the older ones using the pulse sensor mounted on the diff cover. Well I took a look at my relay panel and there is a spot for the relay AND it had terminals in it. A quick ohm check of a few of them led me to believe that sure enough, it is completely 'pre wired'. I borrowed a relay, plugged it in, and everything now works fine. New one on the way.. Whew.. !! I got lucky on that one...!

Hope that helps someone else down the road..

Quick Reply: speedometer and ring gear question..(magnets)