Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of fitting Recaro's

Old 03-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of fitting Recaro's

Hi guys, are there any UK rennlisters down the south east with recaro pole positions fitted in there cars? If so would you mind if I had a sit? I want to see if they comfortable to me or not before getting a pair.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:52 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default does my bum look big in this !!!!!

Hi,

I am a larger sort of guy "a 16 stoner", but I am a little taller than 4ft so I am not round to look at (so my other half tells me) .
I have the Recaro Spg's nomex one's in my Turbo they are ok and I have driven 200 miles over a weekend in them with no problem.
But go and sit in them as they don't suit everyone also I think you can buy a slightly wider spg.
I would be careful as there is lots of replica seats on the market and I was told they are even narrow than mine.

Gaz the salad dodger.

also, is it for track or road use?
Old 03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine are Recaro PPs. I'll be at Supercar Sunday at Silverstone on May 3rd it that helps? Should be a few 964s going that day, all parked in the infield display area. A great day of FIA GT racing and only £15 a ticket in advance from the Porsche Club.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Hi,

I am a larger sort of guy "a 16 stoner", but I am a little taller than 4ft so I am not round to look at (so my other half tells me) .
I have the Recaro Spg's nomex one's in my Turbo they are ok and I have driven 200 miles over a weekend in them with no problem.
But go and sit in them as they don't suit everyone also I think you can buy a slightly wider spg.
I would be careful as there is lots of replica seats on the market and I was told they are even narrow than mine.

Gaz the salad dodger.

also, is it for track or road use?
It would be for road use, but this car is a toy and not used that often.

How do the SPG's differ from PP's? I want it to look like an OEM install and period correct hence the PP's.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Hi,

Spg's are the original seat in RS,RS NGT, RSR, TURBO S, I bought mine as I wanted the seat that was in a factory RSR and nomex was for the race cars as leather is heavier.
My car is a toy too me also,so the style was the important thing and the seats really grip me.
I haven't been on any really bumpy roads in the seats but if you've got a bad back I would think hard.

Gaz,
Old 03-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
Hi,

Spg's are the original seat in RS,RS NGT, RSR, TURBO S, I bought mine as I wanted the seat that was in a factory RSR and nomex was for the race cars as leather is heavier.
My car is a toy too me also,so the style was the important thing and the seats really grip me.
I haven't been on any really bumpy roads in the seats but if you've got a bad back I would think hard.

Gaz,
Hi Gaz, thanks for the info, I always believed PP's were used in those cars.
I am going to re-trim what ever I get in the same leather as my existing seats so hopefully can get some second hand to save a bit.

As for ride, my car has KW suspension so is fairly firm already, maybe I could get my trimmer to add a little extra foam!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Hey,

I'm sure its spg,,,yes I've been in loads of Rs's and my mate who has the only rhd peppermint green RS in the uk sat for six hours(both ways) in mine, going to silverstone classic last year.
Yes SPG is oe, but another mate has a cup car and that seat is a kevlar pole position.
I think that the teams in the day would have stuck what suited the driver in the cars.

GAZ,
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Just been on Recaro web site,

Pole position is a cheaper seat and looks a wider fit.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the pole position's but the shoulders of the seat when fitted in the car will be closer than the spg's.

Gaz,

ps,southbound can make the centre cushions in anything you want.
Very good quality.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:54 AM
pantera43
Pro

I've had both SPG and presently have PP in my car. I'm 5'9" 165 lbs with a 32" inseam. The SPG was a really tight fit, fit perfectly. I switched to the PP for two reasons. First, the bolsters on the SPG are quite a bit higher which means you really have to lift yourself out of the seat making in/out for a DE/Street car a real pain after a while. Second, if someone else wants to drive your car (instructor) they had better be on the small side. I found the PP to be more versatile for DEing and street.

Don't forget to check the back harness holes in regards to your shoulders and make sure they are the correct height.

Dan
Old 03-22-2010, 10:03 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gaz, I am 99% certain that RS lightweights and tourings had the Pole Position pattern as standard. The reason I use the word 'pattern' is that these particular PPs were all specially made for Porsche to put in these two RS models. The leather cushions supplied as part of the seats (usually triple colour leather) cannot be found on any other PPs that can be bought direct from Recaro.

The clubsport (NGT), RSR and cup car had special versions of the SPG fitted just as you say.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

SPGs have higher side bolsters than PP and more aggressive wings, as a result it's tougher to use stock seatbelts

there are 2 versions of SPG
SPG- very narrow
SPGXL roughly as wide as a PP, XL has bigger harness holes which makes it easier to get proper shoulder harness geometry
Old 03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Have you visited some of the dealerships? It is going to be very difficult to find a seat with the perfect fit from someone’s description on the internet IMHO.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
Have you visited some of the dealerships? It is going to be very difficult to find a seat with the perfect fit from someone’s description on the internet IMHO.
Hence why I asked if there was anyone local to me that would let me try them!
Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Strega(UK)
Pro

I have found a company called Motordrive that do a seat that looks very close to a PP but at a third the price and they are fully FIA compliant. The thing holding me bacj on these is they are just not recaro's!
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Just wait for a while.

The show and racing season is just starting, so keep a eye-out for a even local to you,and go and try before you buy.
There must be someone on here from dahn south who could help you out with a little ride in the kidney killers.

Gaz,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of fitting Recaro's