Group Buy (CLOSED): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Group Buy (CLOSED): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2

Now Available for ALL 911s & 912s!
In January, we organized a group buy for Stage8 locking CV bolts for the 924-944-968 platform. It was a HUGE hit, to say the least, with 110 participants in the first round. We are now launching a second round group buy, and are very pleased to announce the availability of locking CV bolts for the entire range of 911s & 912s (as well as all 914s and 928s)! This group buy will run from now through 15 April 2010.

Sizes and Fitment Notations
Across the 911/912 range, there are several different sizes of OEM bolts: M8x50, M10x45, M10x48, M10x55, and M10x60. Additionally, there are several variations in terms of the quantity required, some cars requiring 24, some 16, and some 12. Regarding the M10x48 bolts, the cost of manufacturing odd-increment size bolts is not justifiable (according to Stage8), so there are two options available for these cars: M10x45 or M10x50 bolts. My trans rebuilder, a long-time 914 and 911 enthusiast and PCA member, helped me out with test fitting, and based on the samples we test fitted, we saw no fitment issues using the longer bolts, but I will leave it up to each purchaser to determine which application they prefer. The other variable I encountered is that many 911 owners have upgraded to the 911 Turbo shafts, or may have swapped in different gearboxes, which typically require the larger bolts.

Because there are so many permutations on the 911/912 range, I've put together a convenient application guide to allow you to easily identify the best option based on the model year of your car, or the options it was ordered with or added later. For our group buy, we are limiting the clip and retainer configuration to Stage8's recommenation: the D-style clip (best abutment fitting to the CV boot flange) and the snap ring retainer (full circle engagement eliminates any concern about the retainer flying off at high speed). If you have any questions about what to order, don't hesitate to contact me via PM. I'll do my best to examine PET and your specific car's configuration in order to identify the correct sizing.

Pricing
MSRP: ranges from $53 for set of 12 M8 bolt+clips+retainers to $118 for set of 24 M10 bolts+clips+retainers
Group Buy discount = 25% off MSRP
Group Buy Price = ranges from $39.75 for set of 12 M8 bolt+clips+retainers to $88.50 for set of 24 M10 bolts+clips+retainers
Shipping*: US = $6; Canada = $12.45; ROW = $14.45
*Note: Shipping is via USPS priority mail small flat rate box. We can fit up to two full sets in one box; add'l quantities will result in slightly higher shipping costs.

Ordering
I have set up a special application guide and group buy ordering page on my website:
To order => http://garage.ideola.com/prod-Stage8-GB.html
Please order through this page if possible. Otherwise, send me a PM with the details of your order and I will invoice you via paypal.

Specifications
• Bolts Are Aircraft Quality Grade 12.9 – 4130 Alloy Steel
• Retainers are 5052-H32 Polished Aluminum
• Snap Rings & Clips Are Spring Steel

Background & Product Details
For those that missed the first round, here is a repeat of the details. I worked with Stage8 to develop a locking CV bolt kit for the entire range of 924-944-968 cars. It was such a huge hit, that some 911 and 928 rennlisters contacted me about offering these for their cars too. I did quite a bit of research to investigate all of the permutations across these cars, and came up with 4 additional bolt sizes to accommodate the entire range of 911 and 928 cars, which Stage8 is now geared up to produce. This is truly a brand new offering, never before available for our cars!

Depending on model year and options, the 911/912 applications utilize twenty-four, sixteen or twelve M8 or M10 cheesehead bolts to attach the half shafts at the transaxle stub axles and the outer hubs (six bolts per CV joint). As many of you know, the cheese head bolts are a royal PITA to deal with and will strip out if you're not careful. And for track driven cars, there have been multiple reports of the bolts backing out mid-session with catastrophic results. Many guys are safety wiring their bolts, and this was the approach I was planning to take on my UWB project until a 924board member mentioned Stage8 (for a header bolt application).

The Stage8 system utilizes their patented "GrooveLok" bolt, which has a 12-point head and a special groove in the head. Once the fastener is torqued down, any number of clip shapes are available, which lock onto the 12-point bolt head, and are then retained using either an E-clip or snap ring. Here are some photos using the samples they sent to me installed on a late offset 944 CV joint, boot, and outer stub axle:

Sample M8x65 GrooveLok bolt (the standard 911/912 size would be M8x50, M10x45, M10x48, M10x55, or M10x60)

Teardrop and D-Style clips; snap ring and E-style retainers

D-style clips installed, E-style retainer on left, no retainer on the right (I didn't have a snap ring plier handy when I made these photos)

Teardrop retainers installed (again, no snap rings, but they would normally have the snap rings installed)

Questions? Interest? Let me know!

Last edited by ideola; 05-18-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Answers to a few questions that have come in:

Q: Are the bolts re-usable?
A: YES, absolutely. They are made of 12.9 grade steel.

Q: Looks like I need a special tool to install these?
A: NO, all that is required is a standard 12-point 8mm or 10mm socket. It is highly recommended to use a high-quality socket, as some of the el-cheapos don't provide good engagement at the opening of the socket. Standard snap ring pliers are all that's required for the retainers.

Q: I see that Stage8 provides E-style retainers, and those seem easier to install. Can I order them?
A: Stage8 strongly recommends the use of snap rings for moving applications such as CV joints due to the full circle engagement, even though the risk of losing an E-style retainer is very small.

Q: Are the E-style retainers interchangeable with the snap rings?
A: NO, the E-style retainers require a wider groove in the GrooveLok bolt, so the bolts must be machined differently.

Q: I see that Stage8 offers Teardrop style retainers. Can I order them?
A: SORT OF(!). For the group buy, I am limiting the bolt configuration to D-style clips and snap ring retainers to help simplify the ordering, production, and fulfillment process. However, if you really want some teardrop style retainers, at the bottom of the Application Guide page, you may order 6-paks of extra clips in either the D- or Teardrop shape ($3 per pak less 25%)

Q: I'm worried about losing a bolt or retainer set. How do I get more if I lose one?
A: At the bottom of the Application Guide page, you may order 6-paks of extra bolts ($26 less 25% per 6-count), clips ($3 less 25% per 6-count), and retainers ($3 less 25% per 6-count)
Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

I received the 20th order last night, so I will be placing the first batch order with Stage8 later this afternoon. Anyone wishing to be included in the first batch order, please get your orders in before 5 PM EDT today.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:11 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

First batch has been ordered; we currently have 13 sets toward a second batch order...
Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

We're up to 18 orders for the 2nd batch order in round 2. I'm going to place the 2nd batch order tomorrow, so anybody wanting in on this batch, please get your orders in by 5 PM EDT tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

UPDATE:
Spoke with Stage8 on Friday. Batch 1 may ship to me by the end of this week, Batch 2 probably not until the end of next week at the soonest.

There's still time to get in on this...original closing date was thru Tax Day...we'll go ahead and extend it thru the weekend: Sunday 18 Apr 2010.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:08 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

72 hours left in the group buy. Batch 3 orders will be placed with Stage8 on Monday, so please get your orders in no later than 11 AM EDT Monday 19 April.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

Last chance! Group buy closes in 28 hours (11 AM EDT Monday 19 Apr 2010).
Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

I sent this email to everybody today, but posting here just to cover all the bases...

##################################

I spoke with Stage8 last night regarding the status of shipping on the various batch orders. For some reason, they delayed shipping batch 1 and pulled forward the production run of the batch 2 and batch 3 orders. They committed to me that the entire order (batches 1, 2 & 3) will be shipped to me all at once by the end of this week.

I don't know why they did it this way, as I specifically discussed with them at the outset breaking the orders into smaller batches so that early participants wouldn't have to wait for the entire run in order to get their parts. They arbitrarily decided to do the production all at once, which means that those of you in Batch 1 won't be getting your orders any sooner than anybody else.

I'm not real happy about this, and will have to think about how to manage the next round (if there is one). BUT, the good news is that everything should be on its way from California by the end of the week, and I should be able to begin packaging and shipping next week. I will do my best to get everything repackaged and shipped out to you all within 24-48 hours of receiving the bulk shipment from Stage8.

I apologize for the delay, I wish there was something I could do to get the parts here faster. The only consolation I can offer at this point is that it's not unusual to encounter these types of production and logistical issues when commissioning a completely new product (there were 5 new applications in this round of the group buy). I hope you feel as I do that the results will be worth the wait.

Once I start shipping your individual orders, you should each be getting an email notification from either PayPal or the USPS with the tracking number for your shipment, so please be on the lookout for that. I think I have requested address confirmations from all of you, but it doesn't hurt to remind you that I rely heavily on your PayPal address being correct for shipping. PLEASE double check that your PayPal shipping info is current and up to date!!!

I will send out another update as soon as I know the bulk shipment is on its way from California. In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know. Thanks again for your enthusiastic participation! It has been exciting to see the response to this group buy. If there are other new product or NLA parts you would like assistance with, don't hesitate to ask...I'm always up for a new challenge!

Also just a quick reminder that we're offering 10% off all Tools, Kingsborne Wire Sets, and Classic 9 appearance products through 15 May 2010.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:03 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have these gone out yet?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
ideola
Former Vendor

Here is the email update that went out last night:

The first TWO of FIVE packages arrived from California yesterday [Saturday]. TWO more boxes are supposed to arrive on Mon or Tue, and the final box (containing the M10x60 bolts) is supposed to arrive by the end of the week.

I will get started tomorrow afternoon [Monday] after work on packaging and shipping out, so be on the lookout for email notifications from USPS or PayPal with your tracking numbers.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:50 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

All orders have been shipped except for 11. Apparently, Stage8 ran out of the M8x50 bolts during the initial run. I just received the bill for the last portion of the M8x50 order yesterday, so I am expecting these bolts to arrive in MI any day now, and will ship them out ASAP.

Thanks everybody for your patience and participation!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:42 AM
ideola
Former Vendor

The last dozen or so orders were shipped out on Saturday, everyone should have gotten their tracking number notification via USPS or PayPal. PM or email me if not.

Quick Reply: Group Buy (CLOSED): Stage 8 locking CV bolts, Round 2