Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Distributor timing (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/555737-distributor-timing.html)

ian89C4 03-13-2010 11:28 PM

Distributor timing

All,

Just finished timing the engine as I am putting it back together. Before putting the alternator back in just wondering if I need to time it as well.....or will it just fall in with the engine timing.

I did pull it out at TDC on cylinder #1 if that helps at all.

Thanks.

rattlsnak 03-13-2010 11:46 PM

Not sure i understand you correctly, but the alternator has no 'timing' marks and it isnt 'timed' to the engine in any way.

Indycam 03-14-2010 12:43 AM

Distributor ?

ian89C4 03-14-2010 10:18 AM

Wow, I must have been really tired when I wrote that, I deeply apologize.

I did mean distributor.

springer3 03-14-2010 11:27 AM

Both rotors need to line up with the correct spark plugs, so yes, it it critical to put the distributor in on the correct tooth. The DME takes care of the fine timing.

Indycam 03-14-2010 02:25 PM

When you put the distributor back in , the rotors need to be pointing at the tdc marks on the distributor housing when the motor is set at tdc . The distributor housing does not get turned to set the timing like in other / older cars .

DWS964 03-14-2010 04:04 PM

Assuming that you did not turn the engine after removing the distributor while at TDC, then there should be no problem at all.
One little problem that appeared on my red C4 - while trying to sort another issue, I did a check of the distributor timing. It appeared to be off by a tooth or two, when referencing the rotor marks on the dist body and the Z TDC mark on the pulley. This made no sense, as the car ran. As it turned out, a previous mechanic had removed the pulley from the hub and reinstalled it 180deg off. This issue was going to make future valve adjustments or distibutor timing very difficult.
Just worth a sanity check.

ian89C4 03-14-2010 05:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the feedback:typing:

I do have another issue however:banghead:

When I pulled the distributor back when I was taking the engine apart it came out with ease. While I putting the thing in yesterday I noticed that there was quite a bit of resistance going in. I used the new (correct) seal from the kit from Porsche so I don't think that was it.

So today I tried to pull the distributor to try and turn it so that it would line up TDC with Cylinder #1 at TDC. Well, it wouldn't come out, wouldn't budge:banghead:

Finally got it out, but in so doing had cracked the shaft (see photo below) I checked on DC auto and a used one will be $400, so it will have to wait a little while before the engine can go back in:mad:

More importantly, does anyone know what may have caused this? i tried rotating the engine to see if the gears were just caught and that was not it.

Oh well......pics of the engine are below, as you can see, she is quite ready to go back in........

Indycam 03-14-2010 07:13 PM

I see marks on the shaft housing . Looks like something jammed it up good and tight .