Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   My new '90 Carrera 4 (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/555656-my-new-90-carrera-4-a.html)

birdseye 03-13-2010 01:37 PM

My new '90 Carrera 4

Hi,

Been looking on the forum for a while and finally bought a black 1990 C4. I looked at a few before buying this one and I'm really pleased with it.

I've got some 18" cup 2's with 52/47 offset to go on but I want to lower it drastically before I fit the wheels - I expect I'll have to invest in coilovers but this will have to wait a while. I test fitted a wheel earlier and notciced that the existing springs can be adjusted - is this standard fitment?

Cheers.

cpace3 03-13-2010 01:58 PM

i think thats the m030 package ? i may be wrong about that ..
great car congrats
nick

Strega(UK) 03-13-2010 02:18 PM

It is standard to have adjustable collars, you might think about just fitting some Eibach springs to your stock shocks, it is a lot cheaper and will frim up the ride a tad.

CT944 03-13-2010 02:44 PM

Yes, those are factory. Looks nice!

Mikke_Possu 03-13-2010 03:05 PM

Looks similar to my BOGE's suspension.

elquiosc 03-13-2010 03:19 PM

Looks nice..congratulations!.
(In Spain is:Felicidades!)

ducnine 03-13-2010 06:09 PM

Congrats on your new car. Looks great.

Only problem is there is something gravely wrong with it. Can't believe you missed it before you bought it? The Steering wheel is on the wrong side! :roflmao:

GoKart 03-13-2010 06:31 PM

Congratulations - nice car! Aren't they great to drive? Well done!

Marc Shaw 03-13-2010 08:36 PM

Car looks great - congrats.

On your last pic above - it may just be the photo angle but it looks like there is quite a lip on the outer edge of your rear brake rotor...you might want to measure and make sure it is not due to be replaced. Be safe!

Welcome too!

Marc

Computamedic 03-14-2010 04:06 AM

The adjustable spring perches are standard, as has already been said. However, the adjustment is quite small and is intended for use in corner balancing - not setting the ride height per se. The ride height is determined largely by the spring and, IMHO, it would be a BIG mistake to change the springs whilst leaving the standard/existing shocks. Depending on the history of the car, there is a chance that the shocks may still be the original factory parts and, if so, they will be long past their best. Paying a couple of hundred pounds for a new set of springs and another couple of hundred for a full alignment is totally wasted if you have to do it all again within a few months to fit a new set of shocks. Been there, done that and I can assure you that it's frustrating beyond words!!!

Shorter springs like Eibachs or H&Rs are not going to do the standard shocks any favours anyway since they will be outside their normal operating range with an increased danger of them hitting the bump stops in normal driving. Although it hurts the wallet it's much better to bite the bullet and do the suspension thing ONCE - springs and shocks together. A popular choice is the H&R Green springs with the Bilstein shocks - unless you want to go adjustable, in which case the KW Variant 3 coilover has some enthusiastic followers.

The car looks to be a nice unmolested example - it almost seems rare these days to see a car with D90s, flag mirrors and original indicators!! Welcome to Rennlist and hopefully we'll see you at one of the UK Rennlist meets.

Regards

Dave

Paulie964 03-14-2010 04:18 AM

congrats ...

makes me wish i had a RHD version ...

birdseye 03-14-2010 06:27 AM

Thanks for all your comments, I did quite a bit of research on this forum and elsewhere before buying but I am finding I've still got a lot to learn! I was really pleased to find that 964's drive really well - I'd have hated to have been disappointed after all this time!
I'll be looking into the best option for lowering, not sure if springs and shocks would get the car low enough, all the really low ones I've seen have had coilovers (usually KW). If anyone has a pic of a 964 lowered as much as possible on springs I'd love to see.
Also, the 18" cup 2's are 10" rear and are verging on poking out of the arch, this look wasn't a problem on my old VW Caddy with 13" alley cats but not really what I'm looking for on a 964. I'll put pics up when I get time to see what you think.

Andy Roe 03-14-2010 06:59 AM

Looking good!

Initially I didn't like the D90's but now I'm really starting to appreciate them. I have a hunch that in years to come they'll be hard to find. If you do decide to change the wheels, I'd hang on to them.

Computamedic 03-14-2010 07:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by birdseye (Post 7392441)
Thanks for all your comments, I did quite a bit of research on this forum and elsewhere before buying but I am finding I've still got a lot to learn! I was really pleased to find that 964's drive really well - I'd have hated to have been disappointed after all this time!
I'll be looking into the best option for lowering, not sure if springs and shocks would get the car low enough, all the really low ones I've seen have had coilovers (usually KW). If anyone has a pic of a 964 lowered as much as possible on springs I'd love to see.
Also, the 18" cup 2's are 10" rear and are verging on poking out of the arch, this look wasn't a problem on my old VW Caddy with 13" alley cats but not really what I'm looking for on a 964. I'll put pics up when I get time to see what you think.

You won't have any trouble getting as low as makes sense with the H&R springs. They drop it 40mm and that's probably too much as you'll be approaching RS ride height - and that won't work with the C4. ALL of the suspension systems for the 964 are coilovers - including the standard setup. It's just the likes of KW, Bilstein PSS and H&R all sell combined spring/shock combinations that people refer to as "coilovers". My car (see pic) is about 7mm above RS ride height and that's about as low as you can go on a C4 without suffering severe bump steer. Mine has the H&R Green/Bilstein combination.

I wasn't aware of Porsche producing ANY 18" Cup 2 wheels, so I'm assuming you are talking replicas. a 10" rear wheel needs an offset of 47mm to work on a narrow bodied 964. Any less than that won't work, any more and you'll need a spacer.

Regards

Dave

birdseye 03-14-2010 05:01 PM

Thanks for the info Dave, I will keep reading up and probably price up a set of H+R springs, new shocks, fitting and realignment - sounds expensive!

I'm sure the 18" wheels I've got are replaicas as they have 'made in Italy' stamped on them. They are 47mm rear/52 front offset. 10j x 18 and 8j x 18 - anybody know what the j means?