Sponsored by:

Friday Folley

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Friday Folley

Well, its that day again where we all look forwar to the weekend. The weather is getting better. My cat is cackling at the window at all the Robins we have in the yard- a true sign of spring.

I've got things to do on the Porsche when I have time- new engine lid shocks and new heater tube installation. The car needs a bath too, and a good coat of wax.

I had put a call out for cars, but had also done one for motorcycles on another forum. Looks like we're shooting both on the same day, but the event organizer hasn't bothered to contact me about scheduling any vehicle. This group is severely disorganized! So for those that did contact me about using a car, the date is April 24th. The location is Skokie- just east of I-94. I'll PM you with details but the last thing we need is 6 bikes and 6 cars- we won't have enough models for it.

Not much else going on; photography is picking up a bit. Got a session with a 9 month old tomorrow, but it's inside, not in the garage so the car will stay put. Got a model shoot Tursday though, and the car will come out for that to make room for my lights.

So what about your weekend?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The monsoon rains are suppose to end tonight (3" yesterday afternoon) so tomorrow its fertalize the yard and mow it then go out and refill the 8 gallons of oil in the tractor transmission and move some fallen trees around and maybe bushog the property if it isnt to wet. It was real nice middle of the week so the tops been down on the cab and that will probably be the way it stays for the next 9 months or so.
I got with the state of Virginia and was able to do all the permitting of my new septic system at my summer cottage so i saved myself about $2K in engineering/survey fees. Some times my career actually pays off for me Now I need to come up with $11K to get it installed before I go back up the middle of april.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
hawk911
Race Car

good for you Jim. Always nice to see knowledge pay off.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Assuming my friend is available tomorrow, I will be reinstalling my engine back in the C2. It had been out to fix some oil leaks, namely the seals behind the power steering pump. If we have extra time left over, I will spend time dry fitting the sunroof headliner panel. I want to make sure I know how to reinstall it before gluing on the new headliner.

Sunday is supposed to be a heavy rainstorm. I will be spending time tutoring my girlfriend's daughter on calculus. She is a senior in high school and her teacher is not being very instructive. Its been 25 years since I did this, it will be interesting to see how much comes back and how much I've forgotten
Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Rain here in TO too. I'm am totally exhasuted from trying to shift into first and reverse - so it's clutch bleeding time this weekend!

RK
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saturday - I have a date with a 60' hedge, that needs to be cut back , rain or shine

Sunday - NNJR PCA rally school - Time Speed Distance mayhem
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I will be spending time tutoring my girlfriend's daughter on calculus. She is a senior in high school and her teacher is not being very instructive. Its been 25 years since I did this, it will be interesting to see how much comes back and how much I've forgotten
Ouch. Despite being a practicing engineer for 32 years, I have rarely used any hard core calculus. The concepts are there in the brain and show up in the work; but I don't think I could work through a derivative or integral much past a dy/dx.... It amazes me how many of my problems, and problems brought to me, are solved with some straightforward algebra and conservation of mass concepts. Then the occasional thermodynamics... Have Fun.

Saturday is the red carpet party for The Informant! My wife is pretty excited over this. I will get the red car out, clean it up, cover the ugly front end, and let friends get their picture taken with Matt ('s autograph...)

Need to start Taxes. Time to start sorting a few bits on the black car for the upcoming DE season. Still looking for a DAS bolt in roll bar.

Have Fun, Be Safe
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am hoping my new exhaust gaskets and nuts show up today so I can get the new Fabspeed exhaust fitted.

Marc
Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First drive with the car since getting it back from the body shop. I need to drive over to Bend (3 hrs each way) for the day (Sat) to help my parents out with some things... Looking forward to an early morning blast through the snowy woods. I spent a lot of time buffing and polishing out the paint on the front of the car, as the rest of the car with the fresh paint makes the old stuff look pretty shabby. Fresh black paint is beautiful... but hard to keep clean. ugh.

It took a lot of work to clean up the micro-scratches and crap left over from the guys that replaced the windshield. I suspect they didn't pad or cover the wings as there are lots of abrasions.

Any tips on the toughest finish I could use? I am using Griot's paint sealer, but I don't know if its hard enough.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 PM
hawk911
Race Car

honestly, I use the Macguires line of profucts- from polishes to waxes. My top coat is the NXT Tech wax.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I use 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze to polish and The Wax Shop's Super Glaze for wax. You may want to ask the concours forum. I'm sure they will have lots of experience and advice.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
hawk911
Race Car

hell, that's almost like asking what brand of tire, or what oil to use
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

almost...except I am trying to get wax advice as I want to restore my undertray.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:31 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I think there was sarcasm there... right? undertray restoration-- you mean the plastic undertray?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Poor car got wet through in the rain today...it didn't look happy. I know the feeling as I am positively knackered this week: lots of running and a late night last night replacing the upstairs loo after some idiot (who will remain nameless) smashed the porcelain tank when fitting a new handle (yes the syndrome sometimes strikes on non-automotive projects too!)

Quick Reply: Friday Folley