Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a jump starter...¿any issues to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a jump starter...¿any issues to be aware of?

Finally I got myself a Black & Decker jump starter and tire inflator device, seems easy to use and it could solve one of the issues of not using the 964 enough and also be helpful in keeping tires on good pressure levels

Are there any precautions to be aware of before using this appliance?

Should I still use the trickle charger? (remember I only use it for 12 hours at a time to avoid complaints from other parking owners)

Last edited by Henry964; 03-08-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the battery in the jump starter get below 10.5ish volts . Keep it charged up .
Don't hook up the battery cables backwards .
Does the one you have , have an inverter built in ?
What model black and decker did you get ?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Indy for your help, the Black & Decker model is JU300CB it has 300 amp. power and I think it is not for sale in EEUU. It has a warning lock in case you plug it the wrong way, I don´t really know how to plug it yet but I will read the manual before attempting to use it as a jump starter
The only thing I don´t like of the device is that the manual says the pump is good for inflating 3 regular size tires so I presume it would only be good for one or two 964 tires -or maybe the 4 of them if it is only a top up
Old 03-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

I used to use my battery charger's jump start mode once in a while to jump my 964. But then I had a problem with my CCU. I spoke to Loren about getting it rebuilt, he said that they can be damaged by jump starters supplying too high of a voltage. I then purchased a battery maintainer to keep the battery fresh during winter storage.

His advice was if you have a dead battery, disconnect the battery from the car while charging. Then reconnect and start the car with the battery.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

What Henry bought is a "BATTERY:12V 19 AMP HOUR SEALED LEAD-ACID" .
Its not some big bruiser battery charger / car starter .
I think , if I understand , he is going to charge up the 12V 19 AH upstairs and then bring it down to the car to top up the battery in the car .

Henry , it will inflate all four tires if you hook it up to the battery in the car and run the engine .
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Indy

The Black and Decker battery has to be charged at home (220v) previously and then you plug it to the car battery with 2 clamps to help the engine starting, if there is any risk of damaging the CCU I will surely prefer not to use it at all...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The car is made to be hooked up to a 12 volt battery .
The battery in the car is much bigger / stronger than the little battery in the black and decker .
Do not worry that the little battery in the black and decker might do some damage .

Do you understand about hooking it up to the car battery and then running the air pump ?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henry964
The only thing I don´t like of the device is that the manual says the pump is good for inflating 3 regular size tires so I presume it would only be good for one or two 964 tires -or maybe the 4 of them if it is only a top up
Originally Posted by Indycam
Henry , it will inflate all four tires if you hook it up to the battery in the car and run the engine .
You might want to be careful on this, I had a similar Black and Decker compressor that I used to inflate completly flat track tires. After inflating 2 tires and working on number 3 the the compressor literally melted down into black plastic mush. The compressor was too small and there was no place for the heat to go.

Topping up 4 tires is absolutely not a problem. Inflating the spare will not be a broblem. Inflating 4 totally flat tires may be a problem which is probably why the warning is there.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I took it to be more of a statement about the battery being discharged .
I have three of these pumps and have run them long enough that if they were going to melt down from heat build up , they would have .
Old 03-09-2010, 02:54 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

I took it to be more of a statement about the battery being discharged .
I have three of these pumps and have run them long enough that if they were going to melt down from heat build up , they would have .

I do not know then, mine certainly melted down.

Can I borrow yours for a test?

Last edited by BlueHeeler; 03-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is made to be hooked up to a 12 volt battery .
The battery in the car is much bigger / stronger than the little battery in the black and decker .
Do not worry that the little battery in the black and decker might do some damage .

Do you understand about hooking it up to the car battery and then running the air pump ?
OK Thanks again Indy,you are very helpful as usual
Regarding the hooking of the Black and Decker device to the car battery I think I got it, you have to plug it like you were going to start the car and needed help, then you start the engine and after that you can
start inflating the tires...am I right?
Old 03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

"I spoke to Loren about getting it rebuilt, he said that they can be damaged by jump starters supplying too high of a voltage. I then purchased a battery maintainer to keep the battery fresh during winter storage.

His advice was if you have a dead battery, disconnect the battery from the car while charging. Then reconnect and start the car with the battery. "

Wise advice! Battery chargers have to put out more than 12volts in order for them to pump current to the battery. My battery charger puts out 35 volts. If the battery is connected and the connection is poor or intermitten between the battery connectors and battery post and you've connect the battery charger to the battery connectors. The 35 volts is being applied to the electronics in the car including the CCU and the over voltage protection on these electronics devices may not be able to protect against such voltages. I also suggest that most of the charging of a dead battery or close to dead battery or for that matter a slightly depleted battery, be done by a charger rather than the alternator.

Bill
Old 03-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
Can I borrow yours for a test?
Next time you are on the west coast , stop and pick it up .
Old 03-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Henry964
.am I right?
If you think you need more air than what the little battery will provide , yes .
If you are just topping up a tire , the little battery will be just fine .
Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by darth
My battery charger puts out 35 volts.
Why ? Is it broken ?

Quick Reply: Bought a jump starter...¿any issues to be aware of?