Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a jump starter...¿any issues to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:59 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Indycam

"Why ? Is it broken ?" Nope. In order to push electrons from the charger to the battery it needs to be at a higher potential or voltage. Of course that's the open circuit voltage.

Bill
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I ever saw a 12 volt battery charger of mine ever get to 16 volts and I was not in an equalizing mode , I would fix it or dump it .
Old 03-09-2010, 06:55 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear Indy

"If I ever saw a 12 volt battery charger of mine ever get to 16 volts and I was not in an equalizing mode , I would fix it or dump it ." Not sure how you being in an equalizing mode has anything to do with battery chargers or what that means but it appears your battery chargers are of a different design. Even 16 volts can be detrimental to some electronic components rated at 12 volts especially if a large amount of current is involved. Remember voltage isn't the only thing that can damage electronic devices, current can too. P = V x I

Bill
Old 03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by darth
Not sure how you being in an equalizing mode has anything to do with battery chargers or what that means ...
You don't know what equalizing is ?
Its standard practice for good battery health .

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...zation&spell=1
Old 03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

Dear Indy

"You don't know what equalizing is ?" I didn't realize you were talking about the battery. I thought you were refering to yourself and general well being or something, sorry my bad. Are you saying that when you connect a voltmeter to your battery charger (i.e. without it connected to a battery or anything else) the voltage measured is 16 volts? Is you voltmeter set on AC or DC? If it's on DC, try switching it to the AC and measure. Some chargers are just AC rectified outputs.

Bill
Old 03-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

It sounds like maybe you are interested in learning more about this subject , this book might be worth your time .
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...ABWAMM4G0RC1WX

Quick Reply: Bought a jump starter...¿any issues to be aware of?