Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   1992 C2 / LWF/ Clutch replacement , need opinion please (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/554557-1992-c2-lwf-clutch-replacement-need-opinion-please.html)

Reston911 03-07-2010 11:53 PM

1992 C2 / LWF/ Clutch replacement , need opinion please

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Well , I blew off the clutch slipping issue last year, and when snowmageddon hit Virginia 2 weeks ago, I decided to do the clutch work myself... First time dropping the engine or doing the clutch. . Clutch would slip under WOT in 2nd or 3rd gear, so figured I would take a looksee.

Details:
- 92 C2 with 110K miles
- Previous owner installed LWF at 61K miles 12 years ago when the clutch was done. I have owned the car 10 years.
- Has Cyntec Chip, the one that was specially made for LWF installed in 2001 and works great, has not stalled once in 10 years... Not sure if Cyntec is even in business anymore but I have been very happy with thier their Chip over the years.
My questions:
1) The LWF flywheel, it is very smooth, no nicks or scaring and passes fingernail test. It has 50k miles on it.. I will try posting picture, but it looks good.. If you were me, would you take it to machine shop and see about resurfacing , or does it look OK ?
- I have not seen any signs of the RMS leaking (or can that only be determined once the flywheel is off?)
- Looking at the Clutch disc pix does it look ' fully depreciated ' to you ? It's getting replaced regardless, but my question is does this look like the probable cause of my slipping?

Thanks!!

ThomasC2 03-08-2010 04:00 AM

I think the flywheel looks OK. I'd leave it.

You have to remove the flywheel to see the RMS but if it was leaking you should have seen oil coming out at the bottom behind the flywheel. So the RMS seems to be OK, even if the angle in the pic isn't the best.

Thomas

Indycam 03-08-2010 12:06 PM

There is something I never thought I would see , a 964 up on cement blocks .

The disc looks ok , I think the clutch cover is probably weak .

Reston911 03-09-2010 09:31 PM

Thanks for the input, guys... Getting ready to order the parts... we'll see how it goes.... I'll be replacing the timing chain cover gaskets, and the breather gasket while the engine is out..

Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems 03-09-2010 10:03 PM

JMHO,....

One cannot accurately evaluate the clutch components by looking at (admittedly sharp) pictures. :) :)

One must inspect the pressure plate spring & straps as well as centering to see what is going on. Further, I would measure the flywheel, PP and disc as they ALL must be inside tolerance to prevent slippage.

I NEVER resurface street flywheels and PP's. If they are worn, scored, or warped for any reason, they get replaced as I don't like doing the same job twice. Making them thinner by grinding or resurfacing simply shortens the service life of the clutch system.

Hope this helps,

Reston911 03-10-2010 08:51 PM

Thanks for the feedback , Steve !

Regarding the release bearing, the manual I'm reading says a 'shop press' is required to fit the snap ring... Is this really the case, I don't own a shop press ? Will table vice work?

mrmoots 03-11-2010 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the Ghetto press I made. Length of threaded bar, some nuts, plate washers and a bit of 2"x2". You don’t need much pressure at all.

Ross

Attachment 425999

Rocket Rob 03-11-2010 02:47 PM

Ross,

That's a good solution. A few years ago, when I was replacing my 964's clutch, I used my floor jack pressing on the bottom of my work bench with 2x4 block. It was very klugy (sp?). I like your solution better. Its easy and simple.

Last year, I did it on my other car and I used my new press. It was so much easier than the floor jack method. If you don't have access to a press, I would suggest giving Ross' technique a try.

Reston911 03-11-2010 11:16 PM

Looks like I will be making me a 'Ross Ghetto Press' next week.. Thanks for the design, Ross....