Sponsored by:

964 vs. Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:01 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Freipo
I remember the first time I saw a Porsche, I was 8 years old and I broke my arm. My orthopedic doctor had a black 964 Turbo and I thought it was the most amazing thing on four wheels
That is what it's all about. That feeling will never go away. Never!

Both cars are great. Maintenance costs? If either is a "bad luck" car, that's the one that will cost more. You can have good years with just an oil change, etc. OR bad years... Roll the dice, either car. No two 964s will be the same either.

I just recovered for a 15K checkup, and yes is was expensive but in a sick way I felt good about it... my car is 20 years old and in top shape. The techs looked at EVERYTHING! I'm proud of that and that's a feeling you get when a car looks, feels, sounds, smells, and drives as well as a 964 does. It's almost a classic and it will easily run for another 20+ years. Íf I ever sell it, I'll probably think about it weekly for years. Which car will you feel the same way about?

Ultimately both cars are great. Both. But one or both should give you that feeling! Go back to that 8 year old inner child...

Your two week on/off schedule is prefect btw... you have some time to do car projects and then take multi-day road trips afterward.

Welcome either way.

PS: it's cool reading about owner's experiences that have both! Good taste!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Freipo,
Just looked at pictures of the 964. Let me ask a coulpe questions:

Either way, you definitely want a cab? I've seen some nice coupes go for a lot less (with similar mileage). Historically there's very little price difference. There's a great red coupe for sale in Charlotte right now, PPI has been done

The front bumper... looks like the car might be smiling/frowning (easy fix, bent lower support tabs), but at this price... dealer should take care of it. It's a detail thing.

Love the blue interior, plus sport seats! But given that there are 30+ pictures of the car, there should be better seat pics. For me it's a classic 911 add, did the seats... I start questioning when I don't see good seat pics. I also see a couple marks on the driver's seat. Ask them to send you detailed seat pics. They could be hidding wear issues. Can be fixed, touched up... but at this price, should be perfect.

A lot of money for flags and D90s. I love both, but not enough and up-graded both. Just factor-in that cost if you feel the same. Looks classic, but dated to others. Maybe you feel the same since you're also looking at a Boxster?

Just throwing a couple ideas out there for you to think about.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input so far..

I've been leaning towards a cab. I had t tops in my old monte carlo and have been missing that feeling for awhile, but wouldn't be totally opposed to a coupe if the car and price are right..

911jetta..do you have a link to that coupe in charlotte?

I'm going to be up in Richmond tomorrow, it's only 30 minutes away, to take a look at them so I've noted everything ya'll have been saying to ask them.

The prices at euroclassics seem higher compared to other places around, so I'd def. be trying to talk them down alot. I know nowadays it's a buyers market.I wouldn't pay their asking price for either vehicle..I checked out NADA and KBB..and the values are 22,625 and 20,390 for excellent condition cars for the 964 and 21,275 and 19775 for the boxster
Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a 964 or older 911 is a car you can picture yourself still driving 10-15 years from now...a boxster? not even close...

from a 993 owner looking to move to a widebody 964 cab
Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah david so true. The boxsters are getting old looking already.
the 964 i get so many thumbs up and hey nice car were the boxsters are everywhere.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

well of course on the boxster forum they say go boxster. Funny thing is most if not all of them if they could would buy a 911.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
1990-964
Pro

I would buy a Boxter in a heartbeat if it is for my wife to drive. The things are as girly as the new VW Beatle's. I realize that they are dynamically very good cars with a good performance envelope but absolutely not manly. I'll take my 964, or almost any 911 over a Boxter any day.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Freipo
911jetta..do you have a link to that coupe in charlotte?
Contact DrewC2 on RL
Here's his Autotrader link:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Dave White
Racer

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
i have to be honest you all speak about higher maint on a 964. What maint. Change the oil and your good to go. knock on wood i have had just oil changes, and a leaky steering pump but been good. Most people here have replaced coils and plugs and wires but that is 90% of the issues
Age, 10yrs older for one, will always cause more issues, but here are some of the main things you wouldn't need in a Box:
Valve adjustments!
Cap and rotors (x 2!) plus dist. belt
Probably plug wires for that matter as I believe they are coil on plug

Granted, you'd gain coolant flushes. But those are fairly easy and not too expensive.
Changing the plugs on a boxster is MUCH cheaper than changing 12 on a 964 where you have to remove the exhaust.

The only thing my Boxster needed was 2 cv boots, and that was done for around $300 at the dealer I believe.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:01 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

true dave, but i think you will agree most people buying 964's now are buying ones that have had major overhauls already due to age and the boxsters are just getting to that point now.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Scotty 79
Advanced

This is a timely discussion for me as well. I saw a great deal on a 05 Boxster S in Florida. I made the call to the dealer and had serious talks with my wife about making the commitment. Then I was on the prowl in a used car section on an other Porsche site and there it was, a really nice 964. After speaking with the owner (a long time PCA member) and many sleepless nights going back and forth between, more modern, more classic, more reliable, more inspiring etc, I bought the 964. We are going to pick the car up in California next Friday and are driving to Albany NY for the following Friday. We are looking forward to the trip and getting to know our 964.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:55 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scotty 79
This is a timely discussion for me as well. I saw a great deal on a 05 Boxster S in Florida. I made the call to the dealer and had serious talks with my wife about making the commitment. Then I was on the prowl in a used car section on an other Porsche site and there it was, a really nice 964. After speaking with the owner (a long time PCA member) and many sleepless nights going back and forth between, more modern, more classic, more reliable, more inspiring etc, I bought the 964. We are going to pick the car up in California next Friday and are driving to Albany NY for the following Friday. We are looking forward to the trip and getting to know our 964.
Congrats. That is going to be a trip!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Dave White
Racer

You can't go wrong with any Porsche, except maybe a Cayenne, now THAT screams soccer mom to me. But I'm sure they probably handle well, also. Enjoy your new ride, I'm sure it will provide many years of pleasure as mine has!

Back to Freipo, they are completely different feels. In the BoxsterS, it makes you over-confindent that you can do anything because it is so good. In the 964, it makes you feel that it is better than you, but that is the draw as you want to learn to master it, especially in a C2. If I had to have a cab, I would take the Boxster as I think the lines are better with the top down than the C2, and up for that matter. Most importantly, you might be able to get a CPO BoxsterS for your budget, warranty would really be nice for your first delve into Porsche.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data.../IMG_06272.JPG

Last edited by Dave White; 02-26-2010 at 05:27 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 02-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Freipo
Intermediate

Well I just got off the phone with the dealership confirming my test drive for tomorrow morning, and apparently the 964 is on consignment at the dealership and isn't kept there. So I wont be able to check it out tomorrow as I guess the owner had it at the dealership yesterday already and it's too late in the day to set it up for tomorrow. So I'll just be test driving a couple boxster s's..

Jetta911 thank you for the link..the car looks great but red just isn't my color..lol..

I did some more looking and I found a '89 964 C4 coupe at foriegn cars europa in greensboro, it is signifcantly cheaper at $16K and has 73k miles. I emailed them for more information regarding service/maintenance records from the previous owner and any other information they had about the car. I'm worried an '89 might be a little too old though. I've read about the early years having some problems that were sorted out on later year 964s.

Last edited by Freipo; 02-26-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 02-26-2010, 04:50 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference in age. The difference between a 21 year old car and a 17 year old car isn't that much.

In fact, the 89 cars didn't have the Dual Mass Flywheel problems of later cars. But it really doesn't matter - any 89 specific problems would have been sorted out a long long time ago. As long as it's a well maintained car, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Quick Reply: 964 vs. Boxster S