Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight upgrade?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm beginning to suspect the problems may not be the headlights themselves.

After a long run yesterday, the car was quite sluggish to turn over. I just started it up in the garage (it's been on a trickle charger all night) and it seems the headlights don't increase in brightness as I increase revs on the car. Even with a fully charged battery, that doesn't seem right.

So I'm wondering if I have a basic alternator problem and the poor headlights were a result of that. I'll dig out a multi-meter at some point and test it properly, but probably not today.

Edited to add : I did just stick a multimeter across the battery terminals, and it does look like I might have a shot alternator. I have a healthy 12.75v from the battery before I start the car - but after starting it, it seems to drop to about 12.5v and stay there - and even increasing engine speed didn't help. In several attempts I did see it once go up to about 13.75v but only briefly and couldn't make it do that again.

So perhaps my headlights themselves are fine - if they're actually fed with enough power! I'll wait until we get a decent dry weekend (that's not too cold or trying to snow!) and then have a proper look. But I suspect it's time for a new alternator.

Second edit : Checked it again - engine at idle, 12.45v across battery terminals. From the threads I've found, replacing the alternator doesn't look difficult - I'll decide over the next few days if I want to do it myself or I'll book it in to have it sorted. I am quite impressed the car did about 90 miles yesterday with apparently no alternator!
I had a similar problem and it was the wiring on the clock in the dash. When I checked the battery voltage with the engine running it was about 12v. The car even cut out as I was driving along. I resoldered the clock and had back over 14v at the battery. There is a link with instructions. However, seen as you are a regular here you have probably already ruled that out - but just in case.
Steve
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I hadn't ruled that out so it is something to consider.

I doubt it's that - because I did have the clock problem in the early days of having the car (and the clock was replaced) - but that also meant the ABS / PDAS lights didn't go out until rpm hit 3k. It might be though - I'll have a good check before I pull the alternator off!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 AM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

watsonj0 You really have a great looking car one of the very best that I have seen! Vernon.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:04 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Watson,

In the photos on the AP Design site, I see a vacuum diaphragm of some sort on the back of the light assembly. Do your have that? Is that some sort of leveling system?

Also, for the install do you need to install relays? I see that there are 2 electronics boxes, I will assume that those are the amplifiers for the HID lights. Are those plug and play? I already have H4 plugs on my car. Do those amplifier modules fit in behind the headlights? If not, where do you hide them?

Did AP provide an installation manual?

Finally, can you install H4 trim rings over the AP headlamp assemblies?

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM
watsonj0
Instructor

Yes they have the vacuum on the back it is for a leveling system I don't have that on my car so it isn't hooked up. No Need for relays the kit comes with a great plug and play harness that you wire to the battery and plug into the stock harness and away you go.
Nice install diagram comes with the kit it is a very easy install.
I dont have the trim rings installed yet as they are being painted but yes they fit.
Also when you buy the kit in the USA you don't pay VAT so the price is considerably less, contact Thomas for details.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:58 AM
doug751
Racer

Thank you Watson.

Where did the electronics modules mount?

Last edited by doug751; 03-04-2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 AM
watsonj0
Instructor

They fit in the buckets
Jon
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
doug751
Racer

Thank you again Watson!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:50 PM
rarebear
Racer

I just bought this Xenon kit from Ebay, let you know the improvement when I have fitted it. It is specifically for 964.

Last edited by rarebear; 03-28-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

Hi Dave.

I had a HID kit from these chaps installed just over 2 years ago http://www.hids4u.co.uk/

Thoroughly recommend them, better than the factory fit Xenons on my old BMW 330. Not had a single complaint from other drivers or 2 MOT testers.

Cheers,
James
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

rarebear - how much $$ ?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

I can see that some of you guys are from Uk and Netherlands, where MOT year inspections are mandatory... how can you pass them with your cenon kits when you don't have the levelling systems?

in Spain people are no longer installing xenons on 964 and old cars in generals as they will no go through the MOT tests..

Thanks for teh advise
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 AM
rarebear
Racer

the kit was 90 usd incl shipment, tye MOT is a bit worrying because the 964 does not have the automatically levelling system. But I plan to install the normal H4's when the MOT is due and put in the
Xenons afterwards.... I know I know thats dishonest.. but the government in Holland is dishonest bigtime with their criminal tax on gas... 1 euro on a litre !!!!!! I reckon that if that rule was applied in the USA a civil war would break out !!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM
sergiDA
Instructor

Thanks rarebear, changing to h4 when is time for the MOT is what the people also do here, but I am not good on DIY and I don't want to pay my mechanic for such things.

bye

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight upgrade?