Sponsored by:

Cabrio top locking issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM
splitvanman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabrio top locking issue

Hi - am new to this forum and really pleased to sign up to this great 964 community

Would really appreciate advice from you experts out there in helping me solve a top locking issue...I was travelling at about 80/90mph (top locked in place) when I noticed a sudden wind rush and slight lifting of the top on driver's side. Panicking, I stopped immediately thinking the roof was about to go heavenwards. Checking it, however, showed it was still firmly locked in place, but there was about a quarter inch of up and down play in the fully locked position (passenger side is fine). Presumably it's a question of adjusting the locking action somehow or maybe fixing something that might have come lose. Perhaps the locking motor is not going quite far enough into its final position??

Hope to hear from you guys!

Tim
Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

cant really help you but welcome!
The locking motors on these cars is sometimes a weak point and the gear will snap a tooth. They cost a lot more then they are worth to replace.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have not run into this problem - but as jimq pointed out the locking motor is a weak point - Whne you loewer the roof inot locking position and see the top pulled down - Do you here any kind of clicking noise or knocking as it is pulled into place. Inside the locking motor are the micro switches tath control how far the latch will close - these often fil with age and don't stop the electric motor that drives the latch. This causes the gear drive ( plastic) to strip and not work properly. Since there are two motors, one on each side it is possible to have one fail and the other work. The one way to check and see if it has failed is to use the screw drive through the slot inot the locking mechanism and see if you can lock it tighter by hand - if you can then you may be able to save with some adjustment. If you can not get it tight by hand then the worm gears are probably stripped and you will need to replace the motor.
SIT DOWN

Those little drive motors with the micro switches will cost you around $500.00 each

Sorry to be bearer of bad news. If you need to get a new one - try the salvage yards first or used parts -
Hope this helps a little
Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm tired of electrical cab tops. I have asked my mechanic to remove all motors, cables, etc and convert the top to a 1988 style cab manual closure. I hope it can be done.

Quick Reply: Cabrio top locking issue