Sponsored by:

9m 964 Speedster Project - Carbon Brakes & Carbon wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the all important question here of course, is

Was i the first with pink (magenta ) wheels?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

There have been a few technical issues that have been mentioned to me in private over the use of this combination of parts which I'm acting on in confidence on behalf of the customer. To be fair 9m has had little involvement in the design or decision making as our customer specified and purchased the brake kit for use to fit to his car, however we are assured by the suppliers that the kit is suitable for its intended use as strictly a non-track vehicle so we have to take them at their word. They are ST discs as correctly mentioned.

With respect to the Dymag wheels, they were purchased by our customer direct from them, made specifically for the car with the correct offsets and arrived early 2009, thus avoiding any current "issues" that they now appear to have.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Colin -- is there any concern with you and/or the owner about the characteristics of carbon-carbon on the street related to minimum temps before they bite?

It depends upon the matrix of the carbon as to what their turn-on temperatures are, but generally speaking carbon-carbon friction materials need quite a bit of heat before they generate friction. Heat that typical street driving may never achieve.
Chris, the carbon/carbon brakes as used in F1 are very different, (the disc is sacrificial as I understand it) and as you've said they require temperatures between 400/500 degrees C to work efficiently.

The ST rotors require no more heat than a steel rotor and a Pagid RS29 pad and work from cold just as the original PCCBs do.

The ST discs are incredibly hard and thus it can take a considerable amount of time to bed the surface of the pad to the disc and vice versa, that in turn means it can take some time to complete the pad transfer process onto the face of the rotor.

A UK customer has used/is using the ST discs on his Carrera GT too.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
Chris, the carbon/carbon brakes as used in F1 are very different, (the disc is sacrificial as I understand it) and as you've said they require temperatures between 400/500 degrees C to work efficiently.

The ST rotors require no more heat than a steel rotor and a Pagid RS29 pad and work from cold just as the original PCCBs do.

The ST discs are incredibly hard and thus it can take a considerable amount of time to bed the surface of the pad to the disc and vice versa, that in turn means it can take some time to complete the pad transfer process onto the face of the rotor.

A UK customer has used/is using the ST discs on his Carrera GT too.
Thanks for the info. This is the first I've seen a carbon-carbon system not require the typical 350C turn on temperature to properly bite. Are you from ST by chance?

Working like you mention they will is great and having a light rotor like this work on a street car is incredible. Great work!!

Next question, we used carbone industries for our racecar rotors and ten years ago they were $3k USD each! What are typical rotor prices for the ST? I ask since there may be quite a market for these here in America as well.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:04 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is to be a street car only and therefore the brakes are mostly for show, I don't understand why the chap is going down such an expensive route. The weight and braking advantage this package gives will not be able to be utilized on the street and from an aesthetic point of view, I think those lovely big yellow calipers would look just as good (if not better) on big, shiny slotted steel rotors. IMHO.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:32 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If this is to be a street car only and therefore the brakes are mostly for show, I don't understand why the chap is going down such an expensive route. The weight and braking advantage this package gives will not be able to be utilized on the street and from an aesthetic point of view, I think those lovely big yellow calipers would look just as good (if not better) on big, shiny slotted steel rotors. IMHO.
The current plan is to fit a 4.0 litre 9m Racing engine so the brakes will definitely be used to their full potential on occasions, furthermore the brakes & wheels were chosen for their significant weight advantage over comparable parts.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the info. This is the first I've seen a carbon-carbon system not require the typical 350C turn on temperature to properly bite. Are you from ST by chance?

Working like you mention they will is great and having a light rotor like this work on a street car is incredible. Great work!!

Next question, we used carbone industries for our racecar rotors and ten years ago they were $3k USD each! What are typical rotor prices for the ST? I ask since there may be quite a market for these here in America as well.

I've been told that the ST discs retail at £2250 each, which is around half the price of the equivalent Porsche oem disc.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 447 Likes on 209 Posts

Hi Chris,

Not from ST ! I got in touch with ST after I experienced problems with the original PCCBs on my GT2 shortly after I purchased it.

They were looking for a development car to fit their discs to. I agreed to them making a set up to replace the originals and in the process got to know a key member of staff there.

IIRC the figure per rotor that Colin has mentioned is similar to that mentioned when I spoke to ST recently.

They're still not "cheap" when compared to some of the steel alternatives from Brembo, Alcon, AP etc.
But if they were to last as long as Porsche originally claimed for the original PCCBs (circa 120K miles) then they're a worthwhile investment IMO.

I know that when the St rotors were removed from my GT2 prior to sale (and replaced with original Porsche 350mm steel rotors) the difference in steering feel and weight was staggering. The ST rotors reduced the understeer and made the steering much more pointy (and considerably lighter) not to mention a lot more "feelsome".

The biggest difference however was the cars composure over mid corner bumps. With the heavy (circa 11kgs each) steel front discs fitted the car was truly atrocious in high and low speed corners. The dampers struggling to control the massive amount of unsprung weight.

With the ST rotors (circa 6.5kgs) the car shrugged off the same mid corner bumps without any problem.

Colin,I'm perplexed did Guido say specifically that the ST discs are NOT for use on track ?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:03 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Atgani
Hi Chris,

Not from ST ! I got in touch with ST after I experienced problems with the original PCCBs on my GT2 shortly after I purchased it.

They were looking for a development car to fit their discs to. I agreed to them making a set up to replace the originals and in the process got to know a key member of staff there.

IIRC the figure per rotor that Colin has mentioned is similar to that mentioned when I spoke to ST recently.

They're still not "cheap" when compared to some of the steel alternatives from Brembo, Alcon, AP etc.
But if they were to last as long as Porsche originally claimed for the original PCCBs (circa 120K miles) then they're a worthwhile investment IMO.

I know that when the St rotors were removed from my GT2 prior to sale (and replaced with original Porsche 350mm steel rotors) the difference in steering feel and weight was staggering. The ST rotors reduced the understeer and made the steering much more pointy (and considerably lighter) not to mention a lot more "feelsome".

The biggest difference however was the cars composure over mid corner bumps. With the heavy (circa 11kgs each) steel front discs fitted the car was truly atrocious in high and low speed corners. The dampers struggling to control the massive amount of unsprung weight.

With the ST rotors (circa 6.5kgs) the car shrugged off the same mid corner bumps without any problem.

Colin,I'm perplexed did Guido say specifically that the ST discs are NOT for use on track ?
Cool, thanks for the review -- all believable WRT mass control!! Unsprung weight reduction DOES make a difference. Heck, there are teams that cut down brake pads to thicknesses needed just to make the session. Less weight and improved caliper piston cooling.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:24 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Colin,
I happened across this thread during a search...any updates on this UPGRADE?
Have you installed this system on any cars since...BTW, any pics of the lightweight 4.0 Speedster?
Many thanks in advance,
Udo
Old 12-22-2013, 04:17 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Looking forward to the updates!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:43 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm very sorry to say that we never managed to complete this project due to a recession induced change of circumstances for the owner of the car, however there is a slight possibility that the speedster may yet see the light of day in the future. No more to add really.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 PM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, colin, read through it and did not notice the dates, except the last one which of course is the 12 april, not the 4 dec.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Don't know if this is the best thread to attach this to, but it's great to see carbon brakes on the 64 platform!

via Twit

Singer Vehicle Dsgn ‏@singervehicles Aug 13

Our new brake setup. Weight loss where it matters most..

Old 08-20-2015, 10:20 AM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw them too.
Spoke to WP Pro not too long ago as they have amazing carbon ducts as well
Looks very well made.
That being said, I never had issues with my brakes on the track...

Quick Reply: 9m 964 Speedster Project - Carbon Brakes & Carbon wheels