Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS Flywheel or '89 C4 Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Question RS Flywheel or '89 C4 Flywheel?

Has anyone swapped out their dual-mass flywheel for an '89 C4 flywheel and clutch?

It's not quite as light as an RS flywheel (19lbs vs 12lbs), but it's quite a bit cheaper.

What does an '89 C4 clutch cost? I didn't see one listed on Pelican Parts.

It might not rattle as much as the RS flywheel, since it's a little heavier. Might be a good compromise...
Old 01-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe it's doable without a lot of extra expense. The bell housing is different on an '89 and I believe the clutch is more expensive. I'm pretty sure there is an issue with the position of the starter ring gear too as well as the starter itself.

Perhaps someone with more practical experience may comment.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 AM
pantera43
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't comment on 89 C4 clutch fitting but can comment on the two clutches your looking at.

I installed a RS light weight clutch package and all I can say is that there's a huge difference between the two. Almost half the weight between the two flywheels is substantial. The engine spools up and down a whole quicker. Changes the personality of the engine and its responsiveness.

It all depends on what your intended use of the car is. If its a daily driver imho I'd go for the dual mass clutch. If its for sport(weekend) and track use the light weight clutch package is the way to go. Definitely one of my better upgades. Myself and a few others who have done the upgrade have not experienced the so called clutch rattle.

Dan
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

+1. The one time I drove a car with the LWF, I was sold. I did not notice any difference in clutch action, and I do not recall hearing any gear rattle. I did notice a difference in the angular acceleration of the crankshaft.

There is still no LWF in mine. The stock clutch is pretty tough and mine still going strong in the eight years I have driven the car. Sorry, do not know much about swapping to the 89 flywhee. If the difference is 7 lb of rotating mass, that is significant and I would pay to get it.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The MY89 MWF and the RS LWF both weigh the same...
Old 01-26-2010, 03:20 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The MY89 MWF and the RS LWF both weigh the same...
Jason,

All the documentation I have ever seen always quotes the '89 flywheel at 19lbs, whereas the RS flywheel is quoted at 12lbs. Are you saying that this is untrue??

Regards

Dave
Old 01-26-2010, 06:06 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason, would you also care to comment on Computamedic's statement on the '89 flywheel not being
installable in a post '89 car?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
typer77
Advanced

I recently purchased a 92 C2, came with small modification. One of the mods is LWF. I am not sure what type it is. Pros: engine spools up faster. Cons: I have problem down shifting while trying to toe and heel. Engine doesn't respond to the "heeling". Not just that it revs down too quickly, but i feel like by stepping on gas pedal, it takes 1/2 second for the engine to respond.
Is there a remedy to this?
thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
All the documentation I have ever seen always quotes the '89 flywheel at 19lbs, whereas the RS flywheel is quoted at 12lbs. Are you saying that this is untrue??
The '89 and the RS flywheels weigh the same. It was the pressure plate that Porsche was using that accounted for the ~7lbs weight differential.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The '89 and the RS flywheels weigh the same. It was the pressure plate that Porsche was using that accounted for the ~7lbs weight differential.
Thanks for clarifying that Jason. Can you also comment on the suitability of the '89 flywheel on later cars?? It was my understanding that the '89 car uses a different bell housing and the flywheel, ring gear and starter motor were unique to the '89.

Regards

Dave
Old 04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Dave White
Racer

In the process of having my clutch replaced(89), the starter is different and the ring gear is mounted different, so you would probably have to change out the the whole clutch assembly and starter. I do get slight gear noise on take up, but only once in a while, and not bad.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Dave White
Racer

Here are some pictures of my clutch and bellhousing for you to look at, the ring gear was removed from the pressure plate (I think?) as it had a few bad teeth, so it is not seen here. I understand that the later ring gears are attached differently, hence the longer starter needed on the later cars?

Last edited by Dave White; 04-22-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: adding pics

Quick Reply: RS Flywheel or '89 C4 Flywheel?