Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the first pic in larger size? That baby is background worthy.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM
benny.c
Intermediate

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Terrific car. And, welcome!

(heehee - "Bah-bah-Benny and the Jet")
My new theme tune Just had a look on iTunes and bizarrely, The Beastie Boys did a cover of this....not a very good one mind.

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
Do you have the first pic in larger size? That baby is background worthy.
I have, but I'll have to dig it out on my other computer. Will find it tomorrow. I'm sure you can 'shop me out of the picture
Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by benny.c
here i am servicing it... no wise cracks about the manual eh...

Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
benny.c
Intermediate

Now that is spooky

Is it with you now? If not, what the heck where you doing having your photo taken with an old BMW.....and how very, very strange that it used to be mine.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Sten
Pro

Matt,

Wrong manual! It may be german and have 6 cylinders, but they're at the wrong end and all in a line...
Old 01-28-2010, 07:37 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Now that is spooky

Is it with you now? If not, what the heck where you doing having your photo taken with an old BMW.....and how very, very strange that it used to be mine.
my best mate bought it off you....

all very strange!

and yes, ive heard ALL the jokes about why i cant find the engine
Old 01-28-2010, 07:55 PM
benny.c
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demonfish
my best mate bought it off you....

all very strange!
Wow.....it really is true that it's a small world!!

How's it doing? Cosmetically it wasn't a mint car, but mechanically it always seemed spot on to me. Didn't have it for long enough and regretted selling it really.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

its doing ok, .. its been in for a full service and is back in end of feb for full rear end rebush, new rear springs and a geo...

he loves it! its a keeper, hence the work...
Old 01-29-2010, 03:16 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

That should go well for an old E30 Did anything happen to the old motor or did you just fancy a bit more pace? Don't know about the US but E30 M3 motors go for big money over here.
Nothing happened to the old motor, other than the fact that I came home from 10 months in Iraq with a nice little sum of money (I'm single and there isn't much to spend on over there...) and the M3 just seemed like it needed a bit more go. So, considering that the US S50s were a sick joke intended by BMW to dupe US buyers into thinking they were getting an M3, I found my S50B32 in a '99 RHD MZ3 in the UK! Oddly enough, I sold the S14 to a guy in the Philippines for nearly enough to pay for the new motor

If you are a Bimmer fan, you may be interested in my other track toy, that I co-own with a friend. Not as nice as your E30, but good fun. It was originally an E36 325 SE which we stripped, caged and fitted nice race bits to; KW two way race suspension, AP brakes etc. It's currently awaiting an engine swap too. Couldn't justify the cost of an M3 conversion but found a nice Alpina B6 2.8 motor to drop in for not much money. It's a straight swap as the Alpina lump is based on the 2.5L that was originally in the car. 240bhp and 2500lbs so should be pretty rapid
That should be a fun little track toy! The BMW club over here has started a Spec e36 class I'm thinking about entering next year. Its really a great chassis (and relatively cheap) for club racing. Its great to know I'm not the only one afflicted with this disease...
Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 AM
benny.c
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demonfish
its doing ok, .. its been in for a full service and is back in end of feb for full rear end rebush, new rear springs and a geo...

he loves it! its a keeper, hence the work...
Glad to see it's getting looked after. Showed my wife this thread and she said, "That car was lovely. Why did you ever get rid of it?"......and she never likes my cars. She even said my E30 looked like a Trabant.

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Nothing happened to the old motor, other than the fact that I came home from 10 months in Iraq with a nice little sum of money (I'm single and there isn't much to spend on over there...) and the M3 just seemed like it needed a bit more go. So, considering that the US S50s were a sick joke intended by BMW to dupe US buyers into thinking they were getting an M3, I found my S50B32 in a '99 RHD MZ3 in the UK! Oddly enough, I sold the S14 to a guy in the Philippines for nearly enough to pay for the new motor
Sounds like a good move then. I forgot the US didn't get the full fat European version

Originally Posted by ChaseN
That should be a fun little track toy! The BMW club over here has started a Spec e36 class I'm thinking about entering next year. Its really a great chassis (and relatively cheap) for club racing. Its great to know I'm not the only one afflicted with this disease...
They make a great track tool and as you say, pretty cheap. M3's can be had for buttons here in the UK at the moment.

We're thinking of racing our E36 in a new event here in the UK. It's aimed at trackday drivers who want a more competitive element. Cars must be Max 200 bhp/t and conform to a pretty strict set of requirements, to keep cost down. Should be fun and at £400 for two drivers, not bad value (for racing). That's for a 30 minute practice/qualifying session and a 45 minute race. Should be fun

http://www.clubmsv.com/trackday-trophy.aspx
Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM
polar964
Racer

Benny, Not wishing to sound like a right anorak, would you recommend any BMW forums or clubs. The reason i ask is the same reason for been on Rennlist and PCGB, they're the best place for info and knowledge
Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM
benny.c
Intermediate

My wife thinks I'm a right anorak with the amount of time I spend on car forums....and she's probably right

For the E46 I used http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/ and occasionally http://forum.e46fanatics.com/ (US based)

There's always Pistonheads too obviously, if you want some abuse with your advice
Old 01-30-2010, 12:26 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

I looked at a couple of those forums... my head started to hurt after reading a couple threads. Thank the lord for Rennlist! I love M3s, but that was painful.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
I looked at a couple of those forums... my head started to hurt after reading a couple threads. Thank the lord for Rennlist! I love M3s, but that was painful.
+1...thankfully there is a forum (www.s14.net) specifically devoted to e30 M3s (made between '86-91) and due to the vintage of the cars it weeds out all the wanna-be "gangstas"/idiots you find on most of the more modern BMW boards...every time I try to read a thread on e46fanatics or bimmerforums I just want to puke after about the 3rd post of trying to figure out what the kids are actually trying to say
Old 01-30-2010, 07:13 AM
benny.c
Intermediate

Yeah, I have to admit I wasn't active on either of those forums. Just used them for information really.

I had a similar problem with the E30 forum I used to go. Too many kids using text speak (yes I know I'm an old fart).

Quick Reply: Another Newbie