Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Engine Drop, Clutch, Valves & Gaskets (180 pictures) (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/537471-engine-drop-clutch-valves-and-gaskets-180-pictures.html)

kylejohnston1 11-29-2009 04:10 AM

Engine Drop, Clutch, Valves & Gaskets (180 pictures)

I purchased my car several months ago and made an introductory post here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...rst-964-a.html

A few weeks ago, I decided to tackle the following projects:

-Replace RS flywheel (slightly warped)
-Replace clutch
-Replace flywheel seal
-Adjust valves
-Valve cover gaskets
-Chain tensioner gaskets
-Chain cover gaskets
-Replace transmission oil

This was my first time to remove an engine or replace a clutch in any vehicle. I didn’t want there to be any questions about how to put things back, so I took around 200 photos along the way. Many of the photos are repetitive and I did not capture every step but I hope they will help other newbies like me gain a better understanding of what is involved. Everything has been back together for about a week now and the car is running great (knock on wood)! The process is really not bad (quite therapeutic actually) if you work patiently and there is a great sense of accomplishment once you’re finished. Now that I’ve done it once, I think I could do everything in about a third of the time next go around. I used this forum, Adrian’s book and the factory service manual as resources along the way.

Friendly warning: although my car lives in the garage, it is not a garage queen. It has 136k miles, 1 average re-spray (overspray visible in wheel wells), and a thick coat of grease & grime in some places. I spend more time driving it and working on it than I do cleaning it. If you’re the “scrub it with a toothbrush and rub it with a diaper” type, you may want to stop here. I respect that kind of attention to detail but my addiction to driving just doesn’t leave me with that kind of time. ;) With that being said, I hope everyone enjoys the pics!

I have learned a great deal through this site in the few months that I’ve been a 964 owner. Thanks to all of the Rennlisters for making this site such an amazing resource. :thumbup: Over time, I hope I will be able to contribute as much as I have gained. Here is the link to the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10014007...eat=directlink

perlfather 11-29-2009 07:14 AM

Very nice and thanks for the pictures. How long would you estimate was the total "hands on" time for the entire project (not counting the help from your dog)?

ian89C4 11-29-2009 10:31 AM

Very nice! great pics! I plan on dropping mine next year some time. I will probably use your pics as a guide.

My dog loves to help too, he even gets under the car with me sometimes to "help" me work.

kylejohnston1 11-29-2009 12:24 PM

You can see how much "help" my dog is by looking at the last pic but he does offer moral support! I didn't keep track of the time at all but I would estimate about 40-50 hours over several weeks from start to finish. I was learning how to do things as I went and taking lots of pictures. I think I could do it all again in the 15-20 hour range.

Kyle

ducnine 11-29-2009 01:57 PM

Wow that is awesome.

How did you get the car up so high?

Also, how hard was it taking of the chain cover and replacing the gasket?

jim_l 11-29-2009 05:10 PM

Great buy on the car, just finished looking through them. what was that that came out of the power steering lines? doesn't look like ATF. outstanding job for a new owner..

altarchsa 11-29-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ducnine (Post 7105302)
Wow that is awesome.

How did you get the car up so high?

Also, how hard was it taking of the chain cover and replacing the gasket?

I can butt-in and share my experience.

The hardest part is getting the lower pully off the end of the crank. It has to be removed in order to get the large u-shaped aluminum A/C bracket off. (It's in front of the right side case.) You have to buy the special tool to remove the pulley (shown in the maintenance manual), or do what I did and find a bolt distributor who has the correct size bolt. You can then have it machined to match the tool in the manual, or just use a couple of small 1/4" sockets to substitute for the small part of the tool. Put them in the hole first, against the end of the crank, to push against the crank as the bolt pushes the pulley off.

You also have to remove the distributor.

Finally, the nuts should be removed from cup shaped washers on the studs that hold the case seals. Then re-install the studs in the case. The studs have a shoulder that tightens against the case. Careful, use a torque wrench because the threads in the soft metal of the case are easy to strip. Then tighten the nuts down on the cup washers and new seals.

Just trying to help, because the best thing I've found about Rennlist is the advice about avoiding mistakes and problems, and how to save money with home made alternatives to expensive tools and parts. Good Luck!

kylejohnston1 11-29-2009 06:32 PM

I was able to do the chain cover gaskets without removing the lower pulley or the A/C bracket. I removed the exhaust, the motor hanger bracket and the rear section of the engine tray. Then I was able to loosen the aluminum A/C bracket enough to gain get access to the bolt that it was blocking and remove the cover. I also read that others have used a dremel to make an access hole through the bracket but I think it would still need to be loosened. Granted, this all took place with the motor out. I'm not sure if it could be done with the motor in or not? If so, I don't envision it would be much fun!

That was Pentosin CHF 11S that came out of the power steering lines. I think this is supposed to the power steering juice that Porsche is recommending these days.

I used 6 ton suv jack stands and an Arcan XL35 floor jack from to get the car up high enough. I still had to remove the bumper though so that may have been overkill.

Kyle

ducnine 11-29-2009 06:52 PM

Kyle, what did you do to the chain adjuster spring? Did you get a new one or just took the old one out and clean it.

RacinToday 11-29-2009 07:49 PM

Kyle:
What tools, equipment required? I have limited skills and fewer tools at hand but want to start building an inventory – tools and skills.

Boeing 717 11-29-2009 09:29 PM

Nice pics....... thats a seriously fun and interesting job taking the engine out huh!! Your car looks great is that cobalt blue???

gary911 11-29-2009 09:30 PM

Great Story. Did exactly the same last year. Brought back the memories and all the bad words I used. All this done with any consumption of a cold one?

biggles 11-29-2009 11:05 PM

Thanks! That's encouraging. Hope you keep the pictures up.
biggles

Boeing 717 11-30-2009 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by RacinToday (Post 7105886)
Kyle:
What tools, equipment required? I have limited skills and fewer tools at hand but want to start building an inventory – tools and skills.

I did a write up for engine removal in 964 turbo forum just search for it it may help some for NA engine removal. A really good guide also in "The 964 enthusiast companion" book.

kylejohnston1 05-23-2010 03:00 AM

Pictures have been relocated here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/10014007...eat=directlink