Sponsored by:

Jubilee getting a refresh

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 08:49 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Jubilee getting a refresh

So after all the information I gathered from this forum and the members, it is time to give back a little and contribute a bit more in writing.

So on to the situation at hand... back in late 2009 (or perhaps it was very early 2010) I purchased my 964, 30 Jahre 911 Limited edition no 811 out of 911, from the first owner. They are all C4 widebody cars from the factory, with sunroof as standard I believe, and the majority was finished in Viola with Rubicon Grey full leather interior.

The car was in good condition - but no garage queen - with only very mild modifications (steering wheel and carpet).

Now after driving my Jubi daily, the wear and tear of this is showing a little and I embarked on a small adventure of doing a cosmetic refresh... quickly scope creep set in and I'm now looking at:
  • Exterior refresh
    • respray right rear quarter
    • respray front and rear bumpers
    • respray side skirts and fins
    • repaint mirror housings
    • fix rear spoiler cracks - I hope this will work and hold - I would actually prefer an Aluminum outer lip with a floating inner grille, that looks just like the original - if I can get that made at all - not very likely
    • repaint all metal black exterior trim like wiper arms and door handles
    • repaint and remove corrosion from window frames
    • fix some corrosion on rear quarter window metal decorative strip - got lucky, only surface corosion
    • replace all rubber exterior trim
    • refurbish wheels
    • fix saggy rear bumper due to a parking lot tap - with no note left behind
    • repair an indentation on the front bumper from someone using my car as a chair - what are people thinking sometimes - or not
  • Full suspension overhaul
    • new front bushings (Rennline HD)
    • new balljoints front wishbone
    • new strut bushings
    • RSR inner tie rods
    • new outer tie rods
    • Rothsport steering rack brace
    • new Koni FSD shocks / special active
    • Eibach lowering springs
    • new front and rear drop links
    • front and rear sway bar bushings - OE rubber
    • new trailing arm bushings Rennline HD
    • new spring plate bushings Elephant Racing
  • Brake caliper refurb and painting - in original color black - rest of the system was refurbished Jan 2018
  • Al new bumper hardware front and back
  • Rear tail light fix - got a cracked lens - hope I can make this work without a new one, bought enough new ones already and they don't last more than 3 years here anyway
  • Interior refresh
    • door handles recovered with Original production leather hide with a production date in the 80s
    • door bins leather and carpet recovered
    • rear parcel shelf recover
    • Function first shift **** with 993 black leather boot

The decision was made to start with the body work and the interior in parallel and then bring back from the body shop the the mechanic's shop for the reassembly and the rest of the exterior work.
In my younger days I would have tackled a lot of the labor myself, but seeing that time is more limited with a family with young children, 95% is outsourced now. If I can sneak a project in here and there that is not of a scale like this, that's great and I enjoy the sense of accomplishing things for my car on my own, so I keep free time for those kinds of projects these days.

Progress will be shared, questions and advice is always welcome.

Now on to the pictures... I'll star with full glory pics and finish with the tow truck picking her up in a sad looking state.

Before:

Gotta go to 2019 F1 in style

Interesting abandoned buildings, great backdrops

Meeting some of our local Porsche Club members.

Don't we all wish we had this much space at home for cars.

Good candidate to throw some filters on one day.

I'm never worried about a beach... it's a C4 after all.

Rain or shine a C4 does it all without much fuss... and 4 wheel drifts.

Last edited by Navaros911; 08-19-2019 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Edited to correct pictures
The following 2 users liked this post by Navaros911:
911Jetta (08-20-2019), masti99 (10-19-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Beautiful car! Looking forward to seeing how it improves.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:47 PM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Love it! I have one of it's cousins (1994 C4 widebody). That is such a great color.

Mr. Wolfe
Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome and thank you for the photos, cant wait to see the progress
i love the jubi and happy to get to know a sister of mine ( the north american widebody c4)
best
Luc
Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Beautiful car! Looking forward to seeing how it improves.
Thanks Rob... I'm realy curious how much of a difference new suspension components will make. I suspect more than I think right now.

Originally Posted by Greg Wolfe
Love it! I have one of it's cousins (1994 C4 widebody). That is such a great color.

Mr. Wolfe
Originally Posted by Whitezulu
Welcome and thank you for the photos, cant wait to see the progress
i love the jubi and happy to get to know a sister of mine ( the north american widebody c4)
best
Luc
Mr wolfe and Luc... they sure are a bit special and related. Yet I get surprised at times that Porsche still built them with small differences we would not think of. Parts shopping can be a confusing exercise as they all class as TL cars in the parts catalog. That said, I never understood why the Jubi was never sold as is in the USA. I'm sure if a C4 WB could be sold, so could a Jubi.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m also looking forward to the progress. I love the color combo on the Jubilee.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Greg Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Thanks Rob... I'm realy curious how much of a difference new suspension components will make. I suspect more than I think right now.

Mr wolfe and Luc... they sure are a bit special and related. Yet I get surprised at times that Porsche still built them with small differences we would not think of. Parts shopping can be a confusing exercise as they all class as TL cars in the parts catalog. That said, I never understood why the Jubi was never sold as is in the USA. I'm sure if a C4 WB could be sold, so could a Jubi.
Speaking of confusing parts shopping.... I recently converted my rear trailing arms to narrow body ones to fit wider rear wheels. So now, depending on the part, I need to shop in the c4 section or the turbo section, or the wide body section or the narrow body section. Ha!

Mr. Wolfe
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’m also looking forward to the progress. I love the color combo on the Jubilee.
Thanks for the support... always nice when people share some excitement

I think I have seen posts from you in the 987 section. Do you have a Spyder by chance?

If so, I love em. Had a Cayman R for a while, but actually wanted a Spyder (if only they made sense in my environment).
Old 08-22-2019, 04:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks for the support... always nice when people share some excitement

I think I have seen posts from you in the 987 section. Do you have a Spyder by chance?

If so, I love em. Had a Cayman R for a while, but actually wanted a Spyder (if only they made sense in my environment).
I do have a Spyder, I’ve had her since new! Without question one of the best sports cars that Porsche has ever produced, fortunately I now live in an area where I can truly enjoy it. The Cayman R would make for a great stablemate to the Jubilee
Old 08-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Fully agree with you, someone tried to hard, lol
Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Default Onward we go

Disassembled and off to the body shop.

While the body shop was more than willing to strip the car like this as well, they don't have the experience the shop my mechanic works at has. So they did all the disassembly and now everything is off for painting. Such a sad sight to see.

Discovered the need for a few more parts as well... and some questions started to pop up (I will cover one at a time in the next posts).

(Sad) pics:

Jeez those spare wheels look dirty. I guess that's what happens when the last time they were on the car was 8 years ago.

The wheels I use for daily driving are MM replica Cups as you can see laying flat behind the car. The originals are just sitting at home, literally gathering dust, except for this month while the car is at the body shop.
Fellow member Gus' tint kit going strong... but unfortunately I can still spot that crack in the rear reflector.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:37 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

So now for the questions... I noticed a little piece of plastic falling to the ground when I opened my door a few days prior to dropping it off.
I came to the conclusion it fell out the door's locking mechanism as can be seen in the pictures. While inspecting the passenger side, I poked around on the plastic insert and sure enough it crumbled and fell out as well (not quite as bad though(.

The doors work fine, but I would still like to know if this is something worth replacing. If these parts have a function, then I'd consider it. If it is more something to reduce the noise of the door closing, well then it is not that big a deal to me personally.
At the rate plastic falls apart in this high heat and UV environment, I really don't care too much for replacing something that doesn't have much function.

So anybody?

Pics:

Old 08-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The Cayman R would make for a great stablemate to the Jubilee
She sure was... and I wish I could have kept her and treated her right, but space is limited and parking her outside in the sun would not have been fair. We ended up with four cars and only two indoor parking spaces (one for the 964 and one for my wife's Cayenne S). So the baby R went to a friend and is now living on in France.

The decision on which car to keep was not difficult though. I always enjoyed driving the 964 more... more than anything else I've driven. What made the Cayman R not as enjoyable for me personally was that the PDK on it is not that great for daily driving. Way too jerky and combined with low torque it just was annoying. Yes I could go manual, drive in sport etc... but that still didn't give it the fun of a manual. For track duty she was perfect though and the PDK in sport plus was great for that. For overall enjoyment on and off track I just NEED a manual - and I didn't used to think that until I had the CR.

Now if I could only own a Spyder in EU (where I'm from) or US (where my wife's from)
Old 08-23-2019, 04:47 AM
farisad
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

good luck with the project, are you doing the work in bahrain or somewhere else?
Old 08-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Whitezulu
Instructor

Great to follow your thread, it makes me want to get a jubi as well to give company to my wb.

Quick Reply: Jubilee getting a refresh