Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Finally took the car to the track to test tires and big brakes. Impressions:

Tires:
- the R888s are noisy (very noisy, truck tires like noisy!)
- they stick like glue when warmed-up
- I feared that handling at the limit was going to be a challenge, in line with my MPSCs on the GT3 - NOT!
- The car handled beautifully and the tire upgrade was definitely worth it

Brakes:
- big surprise on everything, including the firm pedal feel
- incredible stopping power
- braking is now purely limited by tire adhesion
- no fade, no problems, just a pleasure to drive

I'm done with upgrades now - will simply enjoy this car as-is for now. My first attempt at Youtube (please don't mind the music)

Old 10-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Alexx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great video and excellent choice for music Can`t wait to install my big reds.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:21 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice video.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 AM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice vid... looks like everything else on the track was a mobile chicane!!

Neil
Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
Finally took the car to the track to test tires and big brakes. Impressions:

Tires:
- the R888s are noisy (very noisy, truck tires like noisy!)
- they stick like glue when warmed-up
- I feared that handling at the limit was going to be a challenge, in line with my MPSCs on the GT3 - NOT!
- The car handled beautifully and the tire upgrade was definitely worth it

Brakes:
- big surprise on everything, including the firm pedal feel
- incredible stopping power
- braking is now purely limited by tire adhesion
- no fade, no problems, just a pleasure to drive

I'm done with upgrades now - will simply enjoy this car as-is for now. My first attempt at Youtube (please don't mind the music)

Looks great frank,

Can you tell us more about the track looks to be about 2.5 miles or so and quite fast. Nice use of the entire track and I noticed people using their turn signals do they do this over there?

I couldn't think of anything else you would want to do with your car. The brakes would have been the final upgrade based on everything else done. Although new gearing of my 5 speed tranny or a 6 speed might have to be put on the list soon for me. maybe next yera we will see you at one of our events over here. VIR and the Glen are always fun.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Looks great frank,

Can you tell us more about the track looks to be about 2.5 miles or so and quite fast. Nice use of the entire track and I noticed people using their turn signals do they do this over there?
Anthony, there is a chance I might be spending more time in he US next year so looking forward to learning more tracks.

Mondello Park

The track is called Mondello Park and it is east of Dublin and is about 2.4 miles (3.5km) long. It takes about 2 min to get around in a fast car. The track as been extensively refurbished and it is in excellent condition with garages available to keep you out of the weather.

The track is actually quite technical and tricky. There are some elevation changes as well. From my experience, Mondello takes a lot of practice to go smooth and fast, much more so than any other track I have been to. There is plenty of run-off and the armco is always at a safe distance.

Track days run a little different in Ireland than in the US.

1) There is no prior tech inspection of the car - period
2) there is no tech inspection at the beginning of the track day - period
3) Passing is allowed anywhere as long as you're passing on the left

Track days are usually split between "Open Days" where everybody can go (no prior experience required) or VIP/Club days where there is a select group of individuals going that will all contribute to the cost of the day.

The video is from an Open Day and it will have probably been my last. It's a little bit chaotic and there are wide ranges in car performance and driver skill levels. The video shows two laps without any problems. Lots of drifters and Honda Civics staying on the gas after you have passed them and you'd be unsure if they would let you take the corner or not so I just leave those idiots plenty of room until I can see exactly where they are.

The VIP/Club days are great. There are some real enthusiasts here that work on their cars to prep them. Drivers are generally courteous bunch and after one year on the circuit (8-10 track days) I am impressed about the skill level and general discipline. I've met some great people and there is a good feel of camaraderie.

Now some 964 content - I will probably try the Pagid Blues next.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S

Now some 964 content - I will probably try the Pagid Blues next.
Thanks Frank that was interesting.

As far as pads with the big reds on the 964, I have tried Pagid blues, yellow, orange and blacks. You will chew through the blues like they weren't there decent stopping power 20% better than a street pad. the yellows (R-14) last forever have great feel and control but cost way too much better stopping power. The oranges are great I have had almost no noise from them aren't bad at heating up and get decent wear but are aggressive on the rotors easily overpower the R888's if pushed hard enough. The Blacks are killer stopping power will overpower the R888's easily and destroy your rotors quickly.

At least that's what I observed.

Hope to see you around next year. Going to VIR next week for my last event of the season.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Anthony that the blues would be too much of a compromise. When you get on track you want that pedal to be there ALL the time. Blues are likely to start feeling the pressure after half a day. Personally I've settled on using OEM pads on the road (nice feel and no embaressing squealing) and putting in a set of RS15 greys prior to a trackday. The greys came as a recommendation from some of the UK 964RS trackdayers. Like the blacks they offer tremendous initial bite and good modulation at the limit of tyre adhesion. They squeal on the way to the track but not on it when the car is being worked much harder. I'm about halfway through my second set and the rotors look like they're still standing up well.

Just popped them back in again for next week's trackday at Oulton park
Old 06-08-2016, 05:26 PM
Joe Todd
2nd Gear

Default old guy

I have a Camaro with the Porsche 996 "Big Red" brakes. My brakes squeal when being applied hard on track day use. Does anyone have an answer?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-08-2016, 06:21 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Which pads? I have big brakes on my 964 and PFC08's. Squeal when cold, then goes away. Sometimes comes back when I'm out there.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 PM
Joe Todd
2nd Gear

Default old guy

Originally Posted by jellonailer
Which pads? I have big brakes on my 964 and PFC08's. Squeal when cold, then goes away. Sometimes comes back when I'm out there.
I am not sure of the pads, I have not had the car long. I just know they sqeal when you apply the brakes. I saw a video that shows putting grease on the back of the pad to eliminate the sqeal. I am going to try.

Quick Reply: "Big Red" Brake Upgrade