Sponsored by:

Request Tech Assist- Coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Request Tech Assist- Coilover install

Folks, I'm in the middle of installing a set of H&R coilovers and have run into a little snag on the fronts. There is an approx. 3/4 inch spacer that is removable on the rod protruding from the shock body (see picture). Where does this spacer go in the install? I believe it mounts between rubber shock mount bearing on the car and the upper spring perch......is this correct? Please forgive the pre-school computer art and spelling errors.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Images    
Old 10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I take it the H&R instructions don't say? Have you tried calling them to ask? I wish I could be more helpful but I have Bilsteins on my two cars and its been a couple years since I installed them. I don't remember any spacer like that.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:29 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Hey Rocket, unfortunately no instructions with the kit nor on the web site. I called them yesterday and discussed the issue (they needed to look into it), however I've not yet received a follow-up...we'll see. I've scoured the internet, this site and others looking for a similar set-up as the shock is a bilstein unit with H&R springs, I kind of expected to see something that would clue me in. No luck as of yet...thanks for your response.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:24 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like you've got it right--between the strut mount (2) and spring "hat" (4).
Old 10-04-2009, 11:01 AM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Joey, my concern is that the spacer (in the diagram) compared to H&R is significantly different in height and somewhat smaller in diameter. I wasn't sure if I should just re-use the original spacer and if so, use the H&R spacer below the top hat. I have the left front installed with the H&R spacer above the hat and all looks correct....but what the hell do I know. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. It's a good question, though.

Here's a write up from one of our old 964 buds, Jeff Curtis, describing a Bilstein/H&R install. I noticed in the section covering the front strut that he shortened the bump stops per H&R's instructions to accommodate the revised operating range.

Note: If you are using lowering springs from H&R, you should have a note inside the box describing how you need to obtain the proper bumpers -or- trim yours down, I just followed the guidelines for trimming my originals, nice and simple. For a Porsche C2/C4 you will need to trim off ¾”.
From your prictures, it looks like the H&R's have a greater height adjustment range than the Bilstein and Factory shocks, so even with the taller spacer, the lowering springs and additional threads should allow you to dial in the right height.

Bilstein/H&R
Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Thanks again as this info gives me some peace of mind.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:59 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good luck with the rest of the install!

Quick Reply: Request Tech Assist- Coilover install