Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And we think our cars prices are depressed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
964speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pete000
There is a beautiful 01 fully optioned 996 turbo with only 16K miles on it for sale by me and he can't get 49k for it !
Is the car White? I saw one on ebay spoke with the guy he wanted 49k...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:00 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car is deep met blue with full tan leather. Many special interior parts covered in leather.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:12 PM
964speed
Pro

Sounds very nice... I was told by a dealer here on Long Island NY - that the prices for the 996 TT are going at dealer auction for 35 - 40 k - with a warranty - meaning if the car leaks oil or has an issue the dealer that sold it and /or auction house will take the car back or pay for the fix. This dealer I am speaking with charges a 1000 dollar fee but it could save you at least 5 - 7 k depending on the car and condition.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:51 PM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah saw some 996TT for low 30's around here on autotrader etc. No idea about condition but had low miles... Sorry about my "nonsense" I guess if I don't have the right opinion it is nonsense.

Good luck to all with a 996 I have a feeling they will need it.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:01 PM
shockm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
yeah saw some 996TT for low 30's around here on autotrader etc. No idea about condition but had low miles... Sorry about my "nonsense" I guess if I don't have the right opinion it is nonsense.

Good luck to all with a 996 I have a feeling they will need it.
Might make a good planter? Perhaps a BBQ grille? Cut in half and make 2 couches? Bed for a kid? Gut it and use it for a cool storage shed? Hot tub? I have to believe 996's still have some value.....
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by shockm
Might make a good planter? Perhaps a BBQ grille? Cut in half and make 2 couches? Bed for a kid? Gut it and use it for a cool storage shed? Hot tub? I have to believe 996's still have some value.....
See if you stated that on the 996 forum they (996 Guys) would put a pox upon thee. (old English term for curse) than they would state the fact you might have started a sentence with a prepositional phrase or even worse that you Mis conjugated a verb - an than call you a troll- every mod on the board is a great hero because they too drive a 996 - By the way make sure you have your dues to rennlist membership because they will send the MOB after you to collect!

Forget it you state that your car is faster and then show independent proof with video and sound – they’ll say you’re a liar and a cheat and you must have doctored a car and track video - and if you haven't spent the last 4 years posting repsonses to the tune of 150000 post there must be something wrong with you! My god what ivy tower they must dwell in!

Boy I love the 964 and their (typo wrong use of pronoun hehe) faster than a honda civic!
Old 10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
shockm
Racer

Originally Posted by shockm
Winter beater? Lean-to? Dog house? Target?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a question. How bad of a decision would it be if you pick up an early 996 for a song and beefed up the internals with the "stuff" from LN Engineering (not done much reasearch obviously)? I thought I read that upgrade was like $1K. I have a buddy that's been looking but wanted something a little more modern than the air cooled.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

pnine no idea but for that price of a 996 and the parts and probably few grand in labor why not just by an early model 997. probably be around the same price.

I am not sure of the kit but got to figure would be expensive to install
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well...not really sure what the 997s are going for an in't know if they suffer the IMS/RMS issues too. In looking at the LN website (http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html) it looks like the kit is about 1K and service time is another 10 hours (say $200 an hour for another $2K). If you can really pick up a 996 for $17K and put $3K in sorting out the IMS/RMS you can have a solid later model pcar for $20K.

Just a thought...hate to think of these becoming the "lost generation". There must be a way of bringing them back into the family.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by PNine64
Well...not really sure what the 997s are going for an in't know if they suffer the IMS/RMS issues too. In looking at the LN website (http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html) it looks like the kit is about 1K and service time is another 10 hours (say $200 an hour for another $2K). If you can really pick up a 996 for $17K and put $3K in sorting out the IMS/RMS you can have a solid later model pcar for $20K.

Just a thought...hate to think of these becoming the "lost generation". There must be a way of bringing them back into the family.
This my opinion... based on what I like about Porsche and its history. Our cars have a direct link to the old cars, to the race cars used today, to the complete Porsche history and racing heritage. Knowing that I am driving something that has these ties makes me grin. Stupid, childish? Yeah, but so what...

The 996 has none of this. Only the GT2, GT3, GT3RS, 996TT, and 997TT up to 2009 have that in their DNA.

That is why I never bought a regular 996 (and I really like how the 994 C4S looked)... only when the 996TT came down in price to mere mortal levels was I able to buy a proper modern Porsche. Looking under the car and seeing that 964 part number in the engine case made me smile with pride. Feels great to know that you are driving a piece of motorsport history...

That is my point of view anyway... I hope Porsche starts taking the new engine to the track and bring back that pride to the Porsche owners that care about that sort of thing
Old 10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
This my opinion... based on what I like about Porsche and its history. Our cars have a direct link to the old cars, to the race cars used today, to the complete Porsche history and racing heritage. Knowing that I am driving something that has these ties makes me grin. Stupid, childish? Yeah, but so what...

The 996 has none of this. Only the GT2, GT3, GT3RS, 996TT, and 997TT up to 2009 have that in their DNA.

That is why I never bought a regular 996 (and I really like how the 994 C4S looked)... only when the 996TT came down in price to mere mortal levels was I able to buy a proper modern Porsche. Looking under the car and seeing that 964 part number in the engine case made me smile with pride. Feels great to know that you are driving a piece of motorsport history...

That is my point of view anyway... I hope Porsche starts taking the new engine to the track and bring back that pride to the Porsche owners that care about that sort of thing
Great points! I too feel like the early 996's seemd to have lost the Porsche feel. I do however like and currently considering a 996 TT.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by 964speed
...I do however like and currently considering a 996 TT.
Great choice. You will not regret it. You will be laughing all the way to 190mph
Old 10-03-2009, 12:50 PM
964speed
Pro

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Great choice. You will not regret it. You will be laughing all the way to 190mph
996 TT are so cheap now 40k ish- You can't really buy that kind of performance in any other model Porsche for that cheap - as we all know 993 TT are 70 - 80k for a good example –
Old 10-03-2009, 03:00 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Why go into somebody else's house and point out all the ways their cars suck? Would it make for a good thread if those guys came over and pointed out all the deficiencies in 964's? It's just bad behavior IMO.

I had a guy on another car forum, who has supposedly owned several Porsche's in his life, tell me that 964's were "the most unloved of all 911's" - and then proceeded to tick off all the reasons that we've all heard a million times. I just ignored his comments and moved on, because everyone on that forum knows he's a dick and he just proved it again. As soon as you start the "my car model is better, yours is worse" thing, you lose credibility in my book. And so, did what he said diminish my enjoyment of driving my car the next day? Hell No.

I still think 996 prices are largely just a function of supply-and-demand. I'd be willing to bet most people who buy them have never heard of Rennlist, or Pelican, or know what "RMS" means or that there is a higher-than-average chance they may have engine trouble. They simply always wanted a "Porch", and now they can buy a "Porch" for about the same price as a Hyundai. And there are plenty to choose from.

And yes, being able to express yourself coherently DOES matter.
Grammatically butchered posts are like fingernails on a blackboard.
I'm a lot less likely to give any value to a post when I have a really hard time trying to decipher what's being said in the first place.

Quick Reply: And we think our cars prices are depressed...