Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan bearing sound...

Old 09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan bearing sound...

The other day I noticed an odd clanking sound coming out of the engine bay. It seems to be coming from the fan area. Drove the car around and the sound was still there.

I did a few searches here and it could either be the fan bearing or alternator is toasted. There's a ton of great posts on how to repair but not much that presents what the problem might sound like before the fix. I've added a link to a small avi file that captures the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrQJZA8Rfc0

Anyone hear this sound before this kind of failure?

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

check to see if the fan is hitting the shroud.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is in the shop right now because I started to hear the fan hitting the shroud. I'll know in a day or two what caused it.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:37 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

Looked around the inner shroud and it looked ok, no rub markings. I tried moving the blades and there was some minor play there. Not sure if there should be any.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Shouldn't be any play. Jimq can help with the DIY. He did a great job on his. He has pix he can share.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred's 964
Shouldn't be any play. Jimq can help with the DIY. He did a great job on his. He has pix he can share.
Morrisroad whereare you located?
We have a unwritten rule that you have to post pictures of your car before we will help you
Welcome to the fun by the way!

Hey Fred. Havent seen or heard from you in a long time. I think its getting near time to have a get together again
Old 09-20-2009, 09:55 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

I just finished replacing the fan and fan bearing (the whole hub actually) yesterday. Really the best way to check the fan and alternator is to remove the belts, then you can spin each separately and listen and feel the bearings. In my case it was obvious that the fan bearing was shot, as it was notchy and noisy.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
I just finished replacing the fan and fan bearing (the whole hub actually) yesterday. Really the best way to check the fan and alternator is to remove the belts, then you can spin each separately and listen and feel the bearings. In my case it was obvious that the fan bearing was shot, as it was notchy and noisy.
How hard was it to get the hub off the fan??? Mine seemed frozen to the fan when i had it out.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
How hard was it to get the hub off the fan??? Mine seemed frozen to the fan when i had it out.
I bought a 3 leg puller from Harbor Freight. My fan and bearing was stuck to the alternator shaft.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Jim, nice assortment of persuading tools in that pic, looks like they got the better of you, is that blood on the floor.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Luckily I didn't have to remove the hub since I was replacing the fan as well. My old fan was coming apart.
Judging by the force necessary to put the new hub in the new (used) fan, I would say removing the hub is a job for a press, or a puller.
I searched for just the bearing, but no one seems to sell the bearing separate of the hub.

-Joe
Old 09-21-2009, 11:52 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

...is that blood on the floor?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:06 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crystal Cranks
Jim, nice assortment of persuading tools in that pic, looks like they got the better of you, is that blood on the floor.
I was sweating blood trying to get the darn thing apart without screwing up the altenator shaft!

Valveflot
Sunset porsche sells just the bearing. When I bought my new fan i ordered the bearing also. Turns out the fan comes with the bearing already in place so I sent it back to them. i seem to remember it was $106 for the bearing.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I was sweating blood trying to get the darn thing apart without screwing up the altenator shaft!

Valveflot
Sunset porsche sells just the bearing. When I bought my new fan i ordered the bearing also. Turns out the fan comes with the bearing already in place so I sent it back to them. i seem to remember it was $106 for the bearing.
Can you just replace the bearing while leaving the hub attached to the fan????
Old 09-21-2009, 04:37 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimq
$106 sounds right for the hub with bearing. 28 in the attached diagram is the hub. The bearing is in the hub, but there is no P/N listed.

Can you just replace the bearing while leaving the hub attached to the fan????
The bearing is held in the hub by a snap ring, so if you could find a replacement bearing, I don't see why it couldn't be replaced itself, without removing the hub from the fan.
When I find some time I'll remove the old bearing and get some measurements

-Joe
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fan bearing sound...