Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Need code for stock stereo (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/521656-need-code-for-stock-stereo.html)

America 09-01-2009 03:39 PM

Need code for stock stereo

I just got a 91 C2 a few weeks ago. Started to work on car and unplugged the battery. Now radio is asking for code. Radio says Porsche CD-2 on it. Does anyone know if there is a generic code for this radio or if the code is hidden somewhere on the car. Hate to get a new deck if I don't need too. Thanks ahead of time.

ilko 09-01-2009 03:54 PM

As far as I know there is no "generic" code. Look at the owner's manual and see if there is a radio code anywhere. Or ask the previous owner if they have any records of that.

If that leads you nowhere, you can get the code at a Porsche dealership, although it might cost you as much as a replacement head unit.

Rocket Rob 09-01-2009 05:38 PM

Contact your local dealer, I'm told that they should be able to look the radio code by the VIN of the car.

foxford 09-01-2009 06:45 PM

If you open the ash tray and look below the radio unit, there should be a sticker with your radio's serial number, etc. The dealer will take that information and place a phone call to retrieve the code. I think the number has been published here, maybe you can find the appropriate thread.

America 09-01-2009 07:43 PM

Anyone know how to take out deck. I tried using 2 flat metal stick from another stereo I installed from another car, but can't find an opening when I insert it. Is there a special one for Pcars?

wit007 09-03-2009 09:44 AM

There is a guy at eBay in UK who decodes radios like this. But he need the serial number. How to take out - I don't know ;) But maybe it's a trim around it?

America 09-03-2009 11:59 AM

I need to take out the deck to get the serial number, but haven't been able to get it out. I install a few decks in the last year and know how to install and remove decks. I have the special tool that slides into both sides of the deck to unlock it. Does Pcars need a special tool? When the tool is slide into the side it does not catch the hole where it suppose to go in. On the left side it really tight, so I am fearful to force the tool in between the gap. If someone has remove the deck before give me a few pointers.

foxford 09-03-2009 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need the U-shaped radio removal tools. There are two holes in each side
that the tools fit through. Pushed in gently, they will release the radio.
(The CCU removes the same way.) I think I got mine at WalMart for $3.

America 09-05-2009 11:41 AM

I have those tools as well but there are no holes. The CCU has the holes, but not the radio. This is alot of trouble for a radio. Maybe I'll just bit the bullet and bring to the dealer.

wit007 09-06-2009 08:33 AM

Before you'll destroy your dashboard or radio wait a while - I'm waiting for manual from my friend - he has at home a radio like this.

America 09-06-2009 11:39 AM

The factory books that came with the car has nothing about removing the deck, just how to use it. Pcar dealer will give me the code as soon as I get the serial number. On another note, car irun drives perfect other than radio. I miss the 5sp in the 92, but happy to be back in the Pcar family again. Now the wife car drive and son can sit in the back.

wit007 09-07-2009 03:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
As I thought - there is a trim around. Try to lever this part with a knife or sth. Look at pictures. Rest is Alpine standard.

America 09-07-2009 09:48 PM

I knew there was a trick. Something so small call drive you crazy. Thanks for the help.

America 10-04-2009 01:23 AM

Finally removed the deck two weeks ago. Since the removal I have been emailing Porsche of San Jose regarding the code. They have been more than helpful, but the codes they have given me have been all wrong. They say the code is from the serial number on radio. They have called or email Porsche and received these codes. Some of the codes they gave me have a 8 or 9 in them. Obviously the stock deck is numbered from 1-6. Anyone else have any suggestions? It's almost time just to buy a new head unit, but the install seems like a headache from reading other threads.