Sponsored by:

ground ? where to look?

Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ground ? where to look?

hey guys,
i am trying to locate all ground connections in my 964 as i have been experiencing few electrical issues.
regards
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Do you have a set of the factory manuals? The grounds are listed in the electrical diagrams. The large (high current) grounds are at the battery and the starter.

What sort of electrical issues are you having?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well, i have a battery drain i cant find where its coming from, and now my starter would just spin a bunch of times before it cranks up the car..
Old 06-29-2009, 01:01 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Those sound like two different issues. The battery drains tend to be the door, hood, glove box switches; sometimes the ecu. These are chased by pulling fuses and noting the drain differences.

The starter sounds like a solenoid problem. Starters fail. Several in the past year, or so, have experienced similar problems.

Of course, it *could* be grounds.

Good luck diagnosing.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Battery drains can be challenging to find. I've found that the best way to find them is to use a process of elimination. First check your door, hood and engine cover switches. Ensure that they are turning off the interior lights. Then put an ammeter on between the battery and the battery cable to measure the actual current draw. The factory spec for 964's is 20-60 milliamps (ma). Note you can use either the positive or negative circuits. With the key off and the hood/trunk light power disconnected, start pulling fuses one at a time until you see a drop in current. You have then isolated the circuit that has the current draw. You then need the factory electrical diagram to see what items are on that circuit. You then have to inspect and follow that circuit.

In my case, I had a high current draw that was caused by the CCU. It was drawing about 450ma. After swapping CCUs, my car draws about 40ma.

Good luck on finding it. And let us know if you get stuck anywhere and need help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ground ? where to look?