Sponsored by:

installed the new oil pressure sender

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Logicalct
I replaced my sender with a genuine Porsche unit today. With the help of these instructions, I was able to swap it out in less than an hour.

I chose to replace it without removing the intake manifold. Here are the steps I took:

1. Removed the airbox and Mass Airflow Sensor as one unit by removing the two bolts securing the filter box, and loosening the clamp on the sensor. (No need to remove speed control cable).
2. Remove bolt for AC bracket (green arrow).
3. Remove the two bolts from the Oil sender base, and move the AC bracket out of the way to the right.
4. Remove the sender and base as a unit.
5. Swap sending unit and reverse steps.

I used a genuine Porsche unit (stamped with VDO), and as others have stated the hole in the base is smaller than some of the aftermarket units.

Second that, except I only removed the airbox. There was adequate space to reach around the back side of the manifold and access everything.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Seems like everyone leaves the temp sender in place. I wonder if his is a good WYAIT thing to replace?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM
vagluv
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Seems like everyone leaves the temp sender in place. I wonder if his is a good WYAIT thing to replace?
I am going to do mine at the same time. Has been the plan all along, but when I realized how easy the job was I definitely re considered briefly.

I'm waiting for parts from PP to be able to get the job completed. Sensor has been out of the car, but I set it back in its hole to keep things out of the motor in the meantime.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:01 AM
hdteran
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen,
I woke up this morning and when i turned my 1991 964 on the oil pressure gauge shot straight to the top and stayed there. If I turn the ignition off the needle does drop down. It does not move on idle or acceleration (very slight). So I came to the forum to do some research. Thanks to groovezilla I know how to replace he oil pressure sending unit and I ordered one from Pelican this morning.

My questions are the following:
1. Can this be faulty sending unit be the only cause of this gauge behavior?
2. Since I will be taking the right intake manifold off and air box is there anything else I can check to insure that my engine is getting the correct lubrication?

One thing that I have always had trouble with (since 2013 - when I bought my car) is to read the dip stick..... no matter what I do that stick comes out clean. I have gone to the lengths of draining all the oil and measuring quantity and then filling back up so I know the volume and still the stick is clean.... thoughts??????

Thank you all,
Horacio
Houston
Old 05-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Sounds like a wiring issue. I would remove the right side intake to access the oil pressure sender. Then disconnect the wires to it and then see if the gauge does the same behavior. It shouldn't. If it does, then you have a wiring or gauge problem. If the gauge doesn't move then its most likely to be the sender that is at fault.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:39 AM
hdteran
Cruisin'

Rob,
I tired your approach and it was the sender that was bad, through the process of elimination it was clear the sender was bad. Replaced it with a new one from PP and all good to go.
Thank you,
Horacio
Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Glad you have it fixed.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:13 PM
buckeyja
3rd Gear

Anyone here have a trick to removing the inner airbox horn? Is the tab that groovzilla is referring to the the center of horn?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-26-2020, 10:15 PM
buckeyja
3rd Gear

I'm struggling to get the inner airbox horn off. Is the tab you're referring to the center of the horn at the base?

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2020, 08:42 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

The horn inside the air box is just snapped in. The remove, push the horn towards the front of the car. It will rotate and pop off.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:47 PM
buckeyja
3rd Gear

Thanks Rob! That did the trick

Quick Reply: installed the new oil pressure sender