964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 vs 993 sound

Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

For a totally different approach and a lot of $$ saved. I went with a simple 100Cell cat replacement and a magnaflow muffler 3" in and out along with G pipe. I replaced the primary and secondary mufflers saving nearly 40 pounds off the rear of the car. Performance was improved tremendously. Dyno charts show 248 RWHP and 237 rwtq. with only a cup air box as the only other mod.The curve is ideal and car pulls very strong. I have seen fabspeed header cars run another 10 hp and torque but that is about it and IMO not worth spending the extra $$ on.

IMO along with almost everyone at the track I come across says it is one of the best sounding 911's of any vintage they have ever heard. It is not quiet but it is not obnoxiously loud either. It does not drone at any RPM range and even under WOT you can hear the exhaust and listen to the radio without having to raise the volume to ridiculous levels. In all I think the cost was around $1200 installed including fabrication of SS piping and mounting.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
For a totally different approach and a lot of $$ saved. I went with a simple 100Cell cat replacement and a magnaflow muffler 3" in and out along with G pipe. I replaced the primary and secondary mufflers saving nearly 40 pounds off the rear of the car. Performance was improved tremendously. Dyno charts show 248 RWHP and 237 rwtq. with only a cup air box as the only other mod.The curve is ideal and car pulls very strong. I have seen fabspeed header cars run another 10 hp and torque but that is about it and IMO not worth spending the extra $$ on.

IMO along with almost everyone at the track I come across says it is one of the best sounding 911's of any vintage they have ever heard. It is not quiet but it is not obnoxiously loud either. It does not drone at any RPM range and even under WOT you can hear the exhaust and listen to the radio without having to raise the volume to ridiculous levels. In all I think the cost was around $1200 installed including fabrication of SS piping and mounting.
IMHO this sounds like the best all around system with respect to cost, weight, performance, emissions, sound, and streetability.

I am surprised someone does not sell that design as direct bolt in. Minus the g-pipe and go directly from muffler output to exhaust tip. Under $1000 and you have the ultimate street friendly exhaust.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,165 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
IMHO this sounds like the best all around system with respect to cost, weight, performance, emissions, sound, and streetability.

I am surprised someone does not sell that design as direct bolt in. Minus the g-pipe and go directly from muffler output to exhaust tip. Under $1000 and you have the ultimate street friendly exhaust.
I agree and could have done the straight out but wanted the option of interchangeable tips which could only be done with the G pipe or similar bend in place.

I have a dansk can type tip which actually amplifies the sound a little for track use and use the factory tip on the street to keep the noise down a notch.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I agree and could have done the straight out but wanted the option of interchangeable tips which could only be done with the G pipe or similar bend in place.

I have a dansk can type tip which actually amplifies the sound a little for track use and use the factory tip on the street to keep the noise down a notch.
Ah I did not think of interchangeable tips.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

I guess if that is true, you could also do something similar an switch between G pipe and standard secondary.... hmmm, got me thinking....
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

BFrank, I agree with BlueHeeler, there are a lot of differences you can feel with the two beyond the exhaust. I have both and like them for different reasons. You need to drive them to see which you like better. The 964 feels more like the classic 911 with the 5 speed. On the 964, Gears are closer together in the low gears and it is more of a seat of the pants feel. Around town I like the 964. The suspension on the 993 is smoother, quieter, with a smoother street ride. On the highway I like it better. Of course these are only my opinions, I'm sure everyone doesn't feel the same, that's why you need to drive them to decide. Unfortunately, you may not realize all the differences until you drive both for a while. I'm still learning after a couple of years. What the heck, buy both, I did.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

964s are easier to make sound fantastic and have a great sound. 993s really, IMHO, need a sports cat to free up and louden the sound. At tickove they are more tractor than power boat! I'm assuming it is because once you put sports cats on there is no linkage between the two exhausts at all so it's a bit like putting side pipes on a V8! I have had a lot of favourable comments about my set up (100 cell sports cats and modded silencers) and at full throttle it sounds quite race car like, especially in tunnels! ;-)

Basically either can sound great, you need to drive both to decide which one you prefer but remember you can change the sounds easier than the car!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 964 vs 993 sound