Sponsored by:

Sunroof sealing

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof sealing

How important is the sealing indicated by the yellow arrow?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...epair/Pic7.JPG
Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I have it...
Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this rubber seal when I decided to replace my rear sunroof felt, assuming it would be easy to tell where the rubber seal would go by just replacing the existing one. Turns out there was no existing one, so I don't know where on the flat section to put the seal. PET shows it with the open side toward the front of the car, narrower side of the strip down, but I've spent ages searching for a placement without success. Anyone know how far behind the felt strip this rubber strip should be? I can't even tell if it's a functional thing for water diversion, or if it's just to keep the roof from rattling.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you also doing the front and rear felt seals on the sunroof. I just did mine and it took a total of 4 sets of seals to get it right. Two were ones I installed and 2 from the shop. The quality of the seal is not what it used to be. ( Used Porsche OEM Seals from the dealer) The seal is 3 parts: metal strip, plastic tube, and felt to hold it together. The issue is the felt is not properly glued to the metal so when you start to install the seal it turns into 3 separate parts and is impossible to get a good alignment. The shop resorted to re-gluing the felt to the metal to get it to work. I did the same seals on a 86 911 I owned several years ago with no problems.

Curious if you had the same issue.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Fortunately, I only had to do the rear felt seal. Messy, and I suspect I'd be better at it next time. My front felt seal is still in good shape, even at > 10 years old.

Did you / they renew the rubber one?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

I also renewed the rubber one, I think it is needed for drainage. The seals do not keep all the water out. The roof has 4 water drains.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:47 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bpras@msn.com
I also renewed the rubber one, I think it is needed for drainage. The seals do not keep all the water out. The roof has 4 water drains.
How far back from the rear felt seal does the rubber seal attach? I can't tell from the photos, so I just put the roof back together without it until I can figure out where to glue the rubber seal. Maybe it doesn't matter, but knowing my luck, I'll for sure find the spot where it'll make the leak worse, not better...
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrylH
How far back from the rear felt seal does the rubber seal attach? I can't tell from the photos, so I just put the roof back together without it until I can figure out where to glue the rubber seal. Maybe it doesn't matter, but knowing my luck, I'll for sure find the spot where it'll make the leak worse, not better...
DarrylH,
I recently removed my sunroof liner so that it could be reupholstered. I took the opportunity to take some pictures of the sunroof parts...here are a couple pictures showing the placement of the rubber seal.

More sunroof pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/Sunroof#
Attached Images    
Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
DarrylH,
I recently removed my sunroof liner so that it could be reupholstered. I took the opportunity to take some pictures of the sunroof parts...here are a couple pictures showing the placement of the rubber seal.

More sunroof pictures here: http://picasaweb.google.com/udoreisinger2/Sunroof#
Excellent, thanks. Out comes the sunroof again this weekend...
Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

The rubber seal was close, about a 1/4 inch behind the felt seal. The rubber seal also was glued with the narrow side to the metal.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:27 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Sunroof sealing