Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

America GS Consolidated Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
TL-Register
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
I was going to ask him the same... not like there is a need for that...
I would like to know the VIN too and i tell you why:

In Adrian Streather´s Enthusiasts Companion "Auftragsnummer 964" this car is told to be the very last ever build 964 Carrera 2 Turbo Look. ( Euro Spec. America Roadster )

In meantime i know that this story is not true! So i simply want to know if it is a REAL 964 650 and a car for my Register.

Norbert

Last edited by TL-Register; 02-23-2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: caused trouble
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Treat it in your register as you wish or do not include it. Frankly, I do not care.

Last edited by Robert Linton; 02-22-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:59 AM
TL-Register
Racer

I would be proud if i could list this super great car, Robert - can´t imagine why you react so rude ...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:14 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TL-Register
I would be proud if i could list this super great car, Robert - can´t imagine why you react so rude ...
Probably because it benefits you, and why would that matter to Bob?

Why do you need more than has already been shared? Count yourself lucky, it;s a bit of a privilige in my book that this much has been shared.

kevin
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Default New Carbon Fiber CAM Covers

Doing a redesign of the valve covers in carbon. Attached are screen shots of the CAD. The top hats, by the way, will be titanium. In total, 50% weight savings over the plastic versions.
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Robert,

Do you redesign all of your parts, or does Porsche share their original drawings with you?

Great work, as always!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Awesome, as always robert. If you need testers, you let me know.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

The answer is several fold. First, when the 964 was developed, Porsche did not use CAD. Second, in some instances, Porsche then, as today, has certain components designed by its suppliers which, at least in the days of the 964, were also without CAD. Third, in most cases, neither Porsche nor its suppliers have retained the 2D drawings from 20 years ago.

This being said, when they were available, original drawings were used as reference points. Notwithstanding, all original parts were scanned and the scans were checked by various methods including coordinate measuring machines (CMM) against actual parts and, if available, old drawings. In turn, the scans are imported into Catia, leading CAD software. That, however, is where the "fun" begins -- translating a component into another material (e.g., carbon composite, alloys of aluminum, titanium, combinations of the foregoing, etc.) entails redesign including finite element analysis (FEA) for proper functionality and weight optimization due to the different properties (e.g., strengths, stiffness, hardness, durability, malleability, expansion/contraction, etc.) of the new materials and, of course, of the processes to be used to produce the new components. Finally, the finished design is available in 3D and 2D to be used as appropriate for making tooling (e.g., for composite parts, casting, forging, etc.), machining parts, etc. Lastly, as appropriate, testing is conducted and modifications made if necessary.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM
dunavantent
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Robert, I have always loved your car! I have some of the first publications on this car. Your car has inspired me to purchase 2 factory Roadsters and build 2 other Roadsters. Today I have a 400hp speedster that’s been in storage for 13 years. 10 year collection of rare parts. You could park mine next to your GS and build two ultra light weight 964’s. Not sure why you are replacing the whole floor? Is that correct? Scott
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Link to the specific thread added to the first post.

Engine testing has started

[mg]https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/964-forum/426122d1268370807-new-america-gs-engine-it-starts-cartridge-test-engine-3.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
First Test Engine -- more to follow. Dyno testing begins the week after next. 4 Liters -- and has A/C. ...

First test engine on engine dyno was a legitmate 392 HP. Second version with test parts less than 370 HP. Third engine ready for testing in a few weeks when new cams completed.

We are only using Porsche Parts. If anyone else wants to submit parts at no cost or expense, and such parts are deemed by us to be appropriate for test, we will do so. Final engine parts, however, may be made in different materials, e.g., final connecting rods will be titanium, final wrist pins will be composite, etc.

Remember this is only a test engine for dyno -- which is also why no A/C pulley (which, by the way, is titanium). The final one going into the America GS will have an appropriate use of carbon composites in a variety of components such as wrist pins, the induction system, cam covers, engine cradle, blade mounting bracket, rigid engine mounts, bypass pipe, wire manager, etc., etc. As to the fan, as it is already magnesium, transforming it into carbon would accomplish little if anything given the need for a mounting hub in metal and balancing issues.

Regarding the Tiptronic, it was specicially built by Porsche AG for increased torque.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

is that dual drive distributor a candidate for a wt. saving redesign?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

We are thinking of doing coil over plug.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Progress and a bit of the reverse. The titanium torque converter is, at long last, almost ready for final assembly and electron beam welding. The new hoses, fittings and oil cooler manifold are being made. An aluminum heat sync is in machining as is a magnesium adaptor ring for the transmission. A new material allegedly capable of withstanding more than 600º C (1112º F) and short blats up to 1000º C (1822º F) is being tested for a variety of uses. I am considering using the lightweight windshield that Porsche AG supplied to me several years ago. The only major, and it is major, stumbling block is the engine. The first test engine was a failure as parts supplied did not come even close to living up to what was promised -- and, further, they were more than a month late. So, now, back to the engine dyno to try several other ideas. Hope the next dyno run will be within a month. Also, as the final configuration of the engine is in doubt, the carbon fiber valve covers are at a halt until it is determined whether or not to go coil over plug.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
... The first test engine was a failure as parts supplied did not come even close to living up to what was promised -- and, further, they were more than a month late. So, now, back to the engine dyno to try several other ideas. Hope the next dyno run will be within a month. Also, as the final configuration of the engine is in doubt, the carbon fiber valve covers are at a halt until it is determined whether or not to go coil over plug.
Sorry to hear. Was it an issue with expected performance that was not achieved or a reliability issue?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Actual performance fell far short of promised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: America GS Consolidated Thread