Sponsored by:

964 Turbo 17k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I agree that it must be hard to imagine what one of these "old" 964 turbos is really like. Some very simple bolt on mods get you 400 hp+. There is nothing more invigorating than sitting in one of those 15 year old rocket sleds enjoying the raw power and performance. You have to drive one to understand one.
Like Frank and others said it is an experience like no other. Old school? YES but excitement is far from lacking. It is not just about the HP but the torque and how it is delivered. Not to mention the entire widebody package. The 964 Turbos don't suffer from the notorious turbo lag of the 930's although lag is present at low rpms. The 5 speed G50 tranny vs 4 speed of the 930's made a major difference and the CIS is old school with it's quirks but IMO these are the best all around performance rockets Porsche made. The newer cars might be more capable but at the cost of driving experience. The 964 turbo never fails to bring a smile to your face. Best of all with some minor bolt on mods it can be made quite powerful.

The car in the ad looks very nice although it does have a modified suspension and I highly doubt that they will see anything near the $65k they are asking. for a little more you can pick up a comparable 964 turbo 3.6 which has even less lag issue with more low end and ultimate power with some other Porsche firsts.

Don't say never unless you have driven one first they are a truly unique experience.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nine11
No doubt...why limit to the Porsche marque. That sort of money opens you up to Ferrari 355's, 308/328, Lotus Esprit TT, Maserati's etc. A little more and that gets you into a Lambo Gallardo or Ferrari 360!

I guess you don't know if you don't ask.
Most of the cars you mentioned IMO can't hold a candle to a 94. The 94 will be equally as fast with some minor suspension mods handle just as well and be more fun to drive. Although it will never sound as good as some of the others but won't cost you 1/10th in repairs either.

Phew that's pretty pennies. 993 turbo's are in that price range...same with 996 turbo's.
Actually you can pick up 996TT's for far less. Nice capable car but no where near as exciting to drive and the 993TT is a fantastic car but IMO way to civilized and looks almost as good would be a great alternative if you like AWD. I prefer my Porsche's RWD and I opted for the 94 instead because of it.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the insight. I will continue to reserve opinion until further first hand data is gathered.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pete000
For that kind of money there is a lot of competition. That car has been listed many times and never gets very far. I say "good luck with that sale"
Must have been for sale for a while, as evidenced by the Christmas wreath in the background! I must say, I love a good clean stock 911, and if I were in the market this car would be VERY appealing (not at $65K though)- the fact that it's in great shape and has the stock rims and motor, looks great and has 17K miles- wow "as it left the factory" (although Cobalt noted the suspension mods). I'd buy it and drive it 1-2K miles/year - I don't care if it can keep up with a 996TT or even a stock corvette- these cars are special in their own right, and with 315hp it's probably quick enough and has the added excitement of the turbo boost kick! There is simply nothing like the wide body on the 76-94 911 either -993 wide body very nice too, but the classic frog look that says "turbo" on the classic-fendered 911 is iconic. And something about a pre-95 911 coupe with a whale tail will always get me, although I've always given up the classic roof line of the coupe for the open air cab and targas in the 911s I've owned...
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
Most of the cars you mentioned IMO can't hold a candle to a 94. The 94 will be equally as fast with some minor suspension mods handle just as well and be more fun to drive. Although it will never sound as good as some of the others but won't cost you 1/10th in repairs either.
True, but tit for tat, all the cars in this price range can be satisfying to drive. In different ways, they can all be better in some areas, less so in others. It's all about individual preferences.

Actually you can pick up 996TT's for far less. Nice capable car but no where near as exciting to drive and the 993TT is a fantastic car but IMO way to civilized and looks almost as good would be a great alternative if you like AWD. I prefer my Porsche's RWD and I opted for the 94 instead because of it.
Yes you can....great performing 911 but lacking that invigorating feel.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

True, but tit for tat, all the cars in this price range can be satisfying to drive. In different ways, they can all be better in some areas, less so in others. It's all about individual preferences.
I would agree on personal preference.

IMO the 308/328 was one of those cars that looked far better than it drove right up their with same vintage 4 banger Lotus esprit, the turbo was not much better and had weird handling issues.

The 355 and 360 are totally different animals and now we are talking something worth considering as an alternative but I have found most of the Ferrari's and Maserati's I have driven lost a lot once they got up there in mileage. (over 35k) The 964 turbo can be driven for 100k miles and still feel solid and strong you can't say that about their Italian counterparts.

But they do look awesome and sound is like a symphony which is equally important.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I would agree on personal preference.

IMO the 308/328 was one of those cars that looked far better than it drove right up their with same vintage 4 banger Lotus esprit, the turbo was not much better and had weird handling issues.

The 355 and 360 are totally different animals and now we are talking something worth considering as an alternative but I have found most of the Ferrari's and Maserati's I have driven lost a lot once they got up there in mileage. (over 35k) The 964 turbo can be driven for 100k miles and still feel solid and strong you can't say that about their Italian counterparts.

But they do look awesome and sound is like a symphony which is equally important.
True, the 308 isn't the best handling car, and it wasn't superfast either...but I love the lines. The V8TT Lotus is a rocket, and some suspension tweaks result in a car that rides the rails happily. 355/360's are great performing but expensive to maintain. Dodge Viper has a presence...but it's very crude. Variety is a good thing in my opinion...I'd happily try some of these cars out.

But I enjoy classic cars...I love the BMW 2002tii, 964's, 308's...etc.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

True, the 308 isn't the best handling car, and it wasn't superfast either...but I love the lines. The V8TT Lotus is a rocket, and some suspension tweaks result in a car that rides the rails happily. 355/360's are great performing but expensive to maintain. Dodge Viper has a presence...but it's very crude. Variety is a good thing in my opinion...I'd happily try some of these cars out.

But I enjoy classic cars...I love the BMW 2002tii, 964's, 308's...etc.
I'll take the 2002tii great car. I could never own a 308 but give me a Dino in its place and i would be happy.

In my younger days I helped bring over many grey market cars and had the opportunity to drive just about every sports car of the time. Most of which were over rated. The 911 is still my all time favorite and will always be.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Scotty964cab
Racer

There's a way the older 911 turbo comes on that's far different than newer products and bolt ons. First, we're talking about a 911. The driver experience of the older 911, with a turbo is overwhelming. It's not just about the horsepower. German design has the car live beyond 4000 rpm. It's breathtaking, rolling a through a start and then coming through 4000 with a seat slamming, rear squatting pull to the redline. Then, you all know how we steer our cars with throtle imput. Now, imagine 911 turbo pressure into your steering dynamic. Shwoooo.........

Last edited by Scotty964cab; 04-08-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I lost out on an all original 50k mile 73 2002tii....I'm still a bit hurt by that.

I hear ya though....the Porsche company builds everyday supercars that can actually be driven. Nobody else even tried. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati....is a style.

That's changing with the Audi/Lamborghini relationship, the Gallardo's are supposed to be great performing and quite reliable.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Rear bumper on the eBay car looks like it has been repainted.

With the possible damage history, I'd offer him $30k.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I agree that it must be hard to imagine what one of these "old" 964 turbos is really like. Some very simple bolt on mods get you 400 hp+. There is nothing more invigorating than sitting in one of those 15 year old rocket sleds enjoying the raw power and performance. You have to drive one to understand one.
They are great cars, but I think most of the 964 turbo guys know I prefer my
modded 930 to my 964t. The 964t is way too civilized for my liking as I like the loud and obnoxious bad boy 930. You can hear me 2 blocks away with that car. No power steering, no g50 tranny and the tail happy torsion bar suspension makes me happy!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
They are great cars, but I think most of the 964 turbo guys know I prefer my
modded 930 to my 964t. The 964t is way too civilized for my liking as I like the loud and obnoxious bad boy 930. You can hear me 2 blocks away with that car. No power steering, no g50 tranny and the tail happy torsion bar suspension makes me happy!
That can easily be remedied. I agree in stock form these cars are too quiet. Suspension and exhaust are a must to really get the most out of these cars.

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo 17k miles