Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:09 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scantool

Can somebody please give me a quick rundown on this, please - it wasn't around last time I was a 964 owner. There's too much in 'search' to get a concise picture easily.

I could do with something that can do system adaptations as my car's idle has always been a pain every time the battery has been disconnected. A S-A puts it right at once, but the DIY DME-reset never really works very well.

Are there different versions of Scantool, different software and so on? Is it easy to do a system-adaptation? Costs?

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:09 AM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi John, I somehow was able to research these units several weeks ago, using our upgraded search function and asking questions. From what I found, there are basically two home made but excellent quality units around (no new ones left). They'll do most of the diagnostics except for alarm system and tiptronic I believe.

Then there's something called the Durametric Scantool, which I don't know too much about.

Hopefully more Rennlisters will pipe in and educate us some more!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 AM
Scotty964cab
Racer

John,
I purchsed the Durametric tool. I had the check engine light on and wanted to see what the fault was. I wanted an inexpensive option. The kit is software and cables nicely packaged in an hard case. You'll need a laptop to store and view your cars information. It's easy to use. www.durametrics.com
Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM
jim_l
Instructor

I built the one reff herehttp://pcbunn.cithep.caltech.edu/jjb...64-Porsche.htm you will net a laptop or computer with a com port as well
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts

I bought an assembled scan tool from the group buy here, It emulates the factory Bosch 'hammer' and works well on 964 and 993 w/o driveblock, never could get it to work w/ an immobilized car. I have a real 'hammer and it does most of what that tool does. The 964 and early 993 used round OBD1 ports late 993 and everything after use the trapezoidal OBD2 port. You will need the correct round OBD1 connector/cable for your 964.

Durametric has also been getting excellent reviews, haven't tried one yet though.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe the latest Scantool is v.4
Here's my writeup on most of the computer screen outputs and what they mean/what's going on.

I find the system invaluable when issues are electrical/ECU-monitored.
It gives a BIG insight into what the ECU and CCU are (or think they are) seeing the world.

Scantool HAS a button for system adaptation, but when I've activated it, I've never appreciated a change in engine actions.
(Almost as though it's a null command. Or, maybe, such system adaptations can't be recognized by me... I don't know.)
Old 03-28-2009, 12:48 PM
pncarrerars
Instructor

System adaption on the latest version does work. If you turn on all the electrics whilst running it you will see the figure change & once completed you end up with a faster idle. Run it again with all electrics off and it changes back to the correct idle.

Pete
Old 03-28-2009, 01:12 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

That's the latest version of the Durametric device, Pete?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Sorry, Scantool.

Pete
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Scotty964cab
John,
I purchsed the Durametric tool. I had the check engine light on and wanted to see what the fault was. I wanted an inexpensive option. The kit is software and cables nicely packaged in an hard case. You'll need a laptop to store and view your cars information. It's easy to use. www.durametrics.com
Scotty, can you definitely do a System Adaptation with this?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:35 PM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John I bought the kit on ebay a while back, then I found a complete scantool for about £500, if you want the interface (includes the expensive connector plug) you are welcome to it for what i paid (£50) pm me if you're interested. Not sure about system adaptation and you'll need a laptop with a serial port (or USB adaptor). I do have a CD but not sure if it's V4 but I think the software's on the net (I'm sure someone will know where)
Old 03-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Scotty964cab
Racer

John,
Hit up the website, there are video tutorials and and other informatiion about the tool. I'm not sure about the ability to adaptations. I only used the device once and it performed well. I'm going to spend some time to study the software to get a handle on it.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:43 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by klr10
Hi John I bought the kit on ebay a while back, then I found a complete scantool for about £500, if you want the interface (includes the expensive connector plug) you are welcome to it for what i paid (£50) pm me if you're interested. Not sure about system adaptation and you'll need a laptop with a serial port (or USB adaptor). I do have a CD but not sure if it's V4 but I think the software's on the net (I'm sure someone will know where)
So I'd need to get a scantool kit in addition, is that correct?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:20 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Have you found this thread which tell you how to get scantool working?
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-tool-faq.html
You do not need the expensive plug, just fit some suitable size pins to the wires.

Pete
Old 03-29-2009, 06:00 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Pete - I hadn't found that one.

Quick Reply: Scantool