Sponsored by:

HELP: replacement shock and strut info

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Willie P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: replacement shock and strut info

Hi, getting ready to replace worn shocks on my 964. Can you please help to set some basic info straight for me. Especially as it relates to budgeting. I must confess, I've been looking on various parts websites and having problems understanding what I need to do.

Specs: 1993 Carrera 2, currently has stock Boge set-up. I am mechanically inclined and will be doing the work myself.

1) I am assuming I need to buy shocks and struts (so all four corners are taken care of).

2) If the answer to #1, is "yes" - what does this all cost? My first inclination is to go with direct replacement for stock. Am I right when I read that each rear shock is about $120 each (which doesn't sound too bad). However, the struts for the front is where I am a little confused - Pelican Parts is showing front struts at $516 each? -wow, that seems high for a stock set-up.

3) I have always read that Boge shocks don't last that long (60k miles or so). Is that true of the front struts - is it safe to assume they are bad also? And believe me, my car currently drives like a rock truck, I know the shocks are bad. It is on it's original set (the car has 80k miles).

4) Can anyone also let me know what other things are worth updating at this point as well; bushings, etc... Also, I do a lot with vintage sportscars and know that nylon/nylatron bushings are used. Is there something similar for 964's. All I found on Pelican were rubber.

Thanks, w.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Low 964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just doing mine and I downloaded 2 accounts one from warmfuzzies (Rennlister)...cheers kevin...I hope..not finished yet!!

And one from www.porsche964.co.uk

Quick Reply: HELP: replacement shock and strut info