Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Adjustment Questions - it sounds easier than it is! Seeking Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Pak_37
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Questions - it sounds easier than it is! Seeking Advice!

We've read all of the posts about doing the valve adjustment -- have the special Porsche feeler gauge from Pelican; also got the .0025 and .003 gauges to try the backside method.

The adjustment at the elephant's foot appears to be straightforward and I appreciate that you have to have patience, but the Porsche gauge and the physical space that there is to insert it doesn't seem to match. It appears that the only way to get it to fit is to back the screw out, fit it in, then wind the screw in and then hope you can get it out.

In our case we have no reason to believe the valves are out of adjustment - ie there is no ticking noise - however we don't know when it was last done so we want to check them and only adjust if needed -- having difficulty with the checking!

A consideration is to wind the adjusting screw to close the gap completely and then use the Bennett VAS adjusting screwdriver to set the gap, lock it in place and not use the feeler gauge to double check? Any thoughts?

We would also appreciate any tips/suggestions on use of the feeler gauge do do the valve adjustment.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the feeler gauge for me was impossible. I invested in a z-block and dial indicator guage. I have also the VAS adjusting screwdriver for my next valve adjustment.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I found it not difficult, but more of zen experience. "ohhhmmmmm.... ohhhhmmmmm)

Remember, the 'elephant's foot' end piece gimbals. Use that to your advantage!
So, it can gimbal two ways: One way, (cocked forward) where it presents its 'face' to the incoming feeler gauge and effectively makes for a Wider opening. The other way, (cocked back) Closes the gap to gauge blade insertion.

So, any time I had troubles, I'd put a finger on the elephant's foot and flip it toward where I'd be bringing in the blade.

That, and the screwing down onto the blade method, were all that was needed.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:19 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally don't think this should be attempted by a person who has little to no mechanical experience. If you've worked on a few cars and have some experience, this shouldn't be too hard. But the key is the 'feel' for the process of adjusting the valve, you want the feeler gauge to 'slide' with a small amount of resistance on it. To me a total novice is gonna struggle with this part. Also, you want to be certain you're on top dead center. So in my view, this is not a task for a first time DIY
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by elbeee964
I found it not difficult, but more of zen experience. "ohhhmmmmm.... ohhhhmmmmm)

Remember, the 'elephant's foot' end piece gimbals. Use that to your advantage!
So, it can gimbal two ways: One way, (cocked forward) where it presents its 'face' to the incoming feeler gauge and effectively makes for a Wider opening. The other way, (cocked back) Closes the gap to gauge blade insertion.

So, any time I had troubles, I'd put a finger on the elephant's foot and flip it toward where I'd be bringing in the blade.

That, and the screwing down onto the blade method, were all that was needed.
+1 Practice a little on one you can easily get to until you get the feel for it, backcheck it a few times and then go for it. I make a note of the original position and then see where the readjusted setting is, don't be suprised if it didn't change by less than a screwdrivers width.

As fussy as it all is just realize that the only real damage you can do with the adjustment is tighten way too much and hold the valve off the seat, and burn a valve. The other extreme is you leave it too loose and then it ticks even louder than before, you'll know it and you do it all over again...so take your time, double check you're on the heal of the cam and you'll be fine...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Pak_37
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valve Adjustment Feeler Gauge Question

We're making some progress with this task -- it sounds from the responses as well as the other research we did on the forum - that although you can use the dial indicator or the backside method - ultimately it seems that the "feeler" gauge and the right "feel" sounds to be the best method. We have persevered throughout the day and have graduated from not getting the gauge in at all to working our way around and now we think we have the gauge in partially -- either that or all of the valves we tested are tight.

We've taken a picture of the tool in spot -- this is as far in as it will slide -- we'd like to know from those of you who are experienced at this task -- is this as far as it will go or could it just be that the 4 we've already tested (cylinders 1 and 6) are too tight. On all 4 that we've tested so far the gauge goes in the same amount.

We'll continue in the next day or two to test them all with the feeler gauge - but before we make adjustments - we'd like to hear from those with more experience! Thanks in advance.

The picture we're attaching is exhaust cylinder #6.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Valve Adjustment Questions - it sounds easier than it is! Seeking Advice!